What type and how big of an amp do I need

Username: Techgirl

Baton ROuge, La USA

Post Number: 1
I am looking to add some speakers and know that I need an amp to push them, question is,if I buy two 10's, what size amp do I need? I am not looking to take up the entire area in the back either so something sleek, but cost efficient would be perfect. Thanks for your help!

Username: Flyfishin4trout

Park City, UT USA

Post Number: 1
What is your budget and we can go from there?

Username: Techgirl

Baton ROuge, La USA

Post Number: 2
I would like to keep it below $1000.00 for everything, or cheaper if I can get it. I just want a better sound than the factory speakers that I have. I bought an upgraded stereo with the car and seeing that it is a satelite radio, want to keep it and just add speakers. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 190
Hey Jennifer, adding just a sub amp and subs alone should improve the sound quality. However if you really want "the" sound, you'll need to get 4 channel amp for front and rear speakers.
If all you need is just bass then discard the above statement. If you want the best sound overall, then subs aren't your only answer.
You should be able to find 4 channel amp, 1 sub amp, and subs on eBay all under $1000. Just have to do lot of searching and dealing.
For the sub amp, look for somewhere around 300W rms, 4 channel amp, 75W rms x 4 or close to there, and DVC 4 ohm subs.
Keep in mind, unless you want to wake up the whole neighbourhood, you don't need 1000W systems.

Bronze Member
Username: Thrust

Post Number: 21
So you want 4 speakers, and amp to push them, 1 or 2 subs and an amp to push them for under $1,000? hmmm...try ebay. I don't recommend buying used speakers PERIOD (unless you've listened to it IN PERSON and know it's ok). Just make sure you check all the specs on everything. S/N ratio (signal-to-noise) is a good indicator at how good car audio equipment is. Jensen (sry Isaac) tends to have a low S/N (around 85-90) whereas an orion or RF would have a much higher one (100db or more). But even adding Jensen equipment would be a drastic improvement over your current setup. Most important thing is to make extra sure that everything you buy will fit in your vehicle. Also, match amps with your speakers. Don't go and buy a 500w rms sub amp if your sub can only handle 250w rms. From what I hear JBL, MTX, and Pioneer all make decent stuff in your price range. If I were buying all new system I would get great used amps from eBay (early 90's Orion or Precision Power or RF) and get speakers new (either from eBay or your local car audio shop). I'm kind of amazed at how many people will buy speakers without actually listening to them! Especially for your front speakes you should find a car audio shop that carries the brand you're interested in and actually go down there and listen to them yourself. Every human ear is different and perceives sound differently.

Silver Member

Post Number: 205
Hey no need to be sorry Tim, I was only trying to give people choices, for those that can't afford expensive amps. For the money I paid for my Jensen, I can't complain. How many amps can you find that you can open up the case and add custom fan? Then use it at 2ohms bridged without ever burning out?
I think you can get these amps for $50 or less on eBay. If you put 2 of those and power front and rear, you'd have great sounds for $100. It is 175W rms at 2 ohms with hi/low/full range gain controls.

Help2
Unregistered guest
The only thing Id ever buy with a jensen name on it
is the Home Stereo stuff the made in the 70's
Jennifer.
www.edesignaudio.com
You can get 2 11kv2s (theyre 10's)
and the perfect amp for them
for 485 bucks shipped.
Plus you get a 3 year warranty.
Goto a shop and have them install it.
youll be set.
BTW eD stuff is sexay as hell to boot.

Silver Member

Post Number: 210
I wouldn't buy Jensen's home stereo period. They do not make good stuffs for home.
Anyways, like I said 100 times before, the reason why I post about amps most people haven't heard or hate is cause they're cheap in price and deliver power as promised. How many low priced amps can you say that about?

Jennifer you just might have to get a friend that's knowledgeable in car stereos and test them out in person. I find too many females get conned at the stores. I think that's why most of them end up buying Sony crap at high prices.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us