What is limiting SPL here?

Bronze Member
Username: Bnh142

Post Number: 14
I have a single Infinity 1030W 10 inch sub in the reccomended 0.75 ft. sealed enclosure powered by a Rockford Fosgate 150 watt RMS mono amp. I have only tested it with bass heavy music, not test tones, but it seems to hit a brick wall at 121 db. The bass doesn't get louder when you turn the volume up beyond that. I don't hear any extraneous sounds if I turn it up louder but the bass just doesn't get louder.

I am guessing that the limiting factor is the amp which is 100 watts under the RMS rating of the sub, but your opinions on what is going on would be appreciated. I am guessing that going from 150 to 250 watts would only add 2 db or so. That hardly seems worth the extra money for a more powerful amp.

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 397
the size of the box is holding you back as well as it being sealed. Not to mention the power...i also cant help but mention, its a single 10....you arent gonna be breaking records here...

Help2
Unregistered guest
going ported is likely to add 3dbs at most.
150 to 250 watts would be 2dbs if that.
Id look into getting more subs, and more power
if SPL is whats concerning you.
With 1 10, SQ would be a much more attainable goal.

Bronze Member
Username: Wayne230e81

Germany

Post Number: 11
i know i have 2 Infinity Reference 1232w in a sealed box, powered by a Crossfire CFA602 amp and they hit VERY HARD. I finally hooked up my amp right and they really POUND.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5651
Infinity subs aren't really made for SPL, and you're only using a single ten with pretty low power.
121dB is pretty good really for a sealed box.

if you want more SPL, look at larger, high excursion subs, a lot more power, possibly going to a different enclosure type and larger box volume, might want to sound deaden the car, and that will pretty much solve the problem.
new subs, new amp, new box.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Well I don't really need more SPL. I was just wondering really.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
I bought it because I wanted a small affordable subwoofer that was reasonably loud and had good sound quality. It meets those expectations but of course I always want more! I can't fit a much bigger box or more subwoofers because I need to carry a lot of things in my trunk right now.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Oh incidentally looking here at the manual
http://manuals.harman.com/INF/CAR/Boxes%20and%20Parameters/Ref1030w%20Enclosure% 20Sheet.pdf

it shows that in a sealed box you get about 93 db at 2.83 Volts but a peak of 103(!)db at the same voltage in a ported box. That's in car response. The out of car curve shows about 91db sealed and 93db ported. Huh?

Silver Member
Username: Symplestiles

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 261
you could also try polyfill in your box. not sure how much louder it will get, but it wouldnt hurt at all to try.

Help2
Unregistered guest
Its called cabin gain.
How much you get depends on the car.

If you were to meter it...you probably see
a 3db difference...
remember, ported boxes are more efficient.
Sealed boxes allow the sub more power.

oh, and adding poly might show up on a meter,
but you probably wont hear much of a difference
in volume...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
I had the driver in the box with polyfill and also inverted so the magnet was outside the box but with no polyfill. Same result either way. I now have the magnet back inside the box because the weight of it was causing the box to tip over forwards if even lightly pushed.

Incidentally I am not complaining about the SPL but mainly I just want to maximise the performance of my setup and I like playing around with these things.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Thanks guys. I am not really complaining about SPL, I just want to know more and I like fooling around with this sort of thing.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Hmm... the last message was posted because I thought the second to last one was lost before it actually posted. Sorry!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us