Fuses Keep Blowing with Rockford Fosgate 501S Amp. Please Help. God Bless You!

Username: Fosgatemonsterz

San Lorenzo, California USA

Post Number: 1
Hello everyone. I have recently changed AMPS. From a crappy Legacy to a Rockford Fosgate 501s AMP. When I first wired it all up, I have turned my car on, and the amp turned on fine. Then after about 3 seconds, the fuse under the hood blows. It was a 60A fuse. I then tried 100A, 70A, 60A, and 50A fuse. And they all blew. I have checked my ground and my power line from the battery. Also, from the batter to the fuse holder under my hood is less then 8 Inches. Approximately 4 inches actually. Is there anything that I am doing wrong? In the rockford fosgate book it says the the fuse from the battery should be less then 18 inches. Does anyone out there know what is happening. Is it the amp or my wiring. Thanks so much. God Bless you! :-)

Brett Davis
510-589-4171

Damien Rob.
Unregistered guest
What gauge cable are you using? Did you inspect the cable for any nicks in the casing?

Post Number: 2
I am using all 8 gauge. All 8 gauge. I am thinking about using 4 gauge all the way to the backseat, where the amp is, then then use a distributive block and put it into 8 and hook it up to the AMP. I have check both cables, positive and negitive for nicks. None at all. I ever tried it with the wires not even tucked under. Still got the same results.

Damien Rob.
Unregistered guest
When the fuse blows do you have the music up or all the way down, or is it instant no matter what? For it to blow a 100A fuse (THAT IS REALLY REALLY HIGH) something is def not right.

Post Number: 4
Damien Rob : I don't have the music up at all. I just turn my truck on, and within 3 seconds, the AMP turns on, and then turns off and I turn the truck off. I look under the hood, and yet another fuse has blown. I've gone through 7 fuses all ready. 100A, 100A, 100A, 100A, 50A, 60A, 70A. I tryed all different sizes of the fuses and it still blows. I'm going to take it into my local Car Audio Depot store tomorrow to see whats wrong with it.

Silver Member
Username: Deathshadow

Post Number: 157
Yeah that is your best bet, hope everything works out. For a 100A fuse to blow in a click that's not cool... It's most likely something critically wrong with the wiring or possibly the amp itself.

Post Number: 5
Here is a picture I just took of the 7 blown fuses. I have posed the numbers and how much A's there are in the picture.Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 11
Hey I have a question, if you hook back your Legacy amp, does the fuse still blow? If it does, then you have a wiring problem. If it doesn't, then you have a problem with your new amp.

Silver Member

Post Number: 169
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/107448.html

Just solved the same problem you have in that post, check it out, maybe it will help.

Post Number: 7
Hello. No, I don't have my legacy AMP anymore, but see, If I unhook my amp and have the ground laying on a piece of wood and the positive hooked up to another piece of wood, and then I have a lightbulb hooked up to 2 wires, and if I connect them, I get light. So I beleive it is the AMP. It just blows fuses left and right. Because if I install a fuse, it doens't blow. It only blows everytime the AMP turns on. I'm going in about 1 hour to go check out that amp at my local Car Audio Depot Store.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Hey fosgate, for 500W amp, 8 gauge is good enough. You'll need 4 or less if you're amp is close to 800W or more.
Since you were using a light bulb to test, you could've used that along with your amp to see if there's a short somewhere. If by attaching the amp causes the light bulb to glow in full power, then the amp or wire is causing a short, if not then the light should be dim with no load on the amp.
Just a thought.

Silver Member
Username: Joe718

Brooklyn, NY

Post Number: 172
you sadi you checked the negative and postive lines but did you check the remote line. That thin wire could easily get knicked.

Silver Member
Username: Joe718

Brooklyn, NY

Post Number: 173
you said you checked the negative and postive lines but did you check the remote line. That thin wire could easily get knicked.

Post Number: 10
yes. I checked the remote line also. I checked all wires hooking up to the amp. I took it back. Results will be in 2 days.

Silver Member

Post Number: 188
Anything new?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Hello. I havn't took it in. Been kinda busy with work. Contacted Rockford Fosgate customer service. Its not in warranty because I don't have the reciept so it will cost $143.00 to repair it. I got this amp for $170.00 off ebay. Should I just pay the $143.00 to get it repaired. Rockford Fosgate said they repair ANYTHING WRONG WITH THE AMP. What do you guys think? Also, I figured where I think I messed up and blew my amp up. I have a Distribution Block without fuses and I switched it from 4 gauge to 8 gauge so that would of messes it up right there. Now I try and do it and it doesn't power. I think I blew the board cuz I smell it.

Brett Davis
BlackHandSkull@comcast.net

Silver Member
Username: Chevy_for_life

Post Number: 189
If you think you can find the same amp or one that will put out as much power as that one.. then buy a diffrent one.. but if you think that it is almost impossible for you to find somethin to put out as much as it did or should.. then get it fixed

dj
Unregistered guest
i am having the same problem where do i take to fix it in the san francisco bay area or where do i call to get it fix ?? do you know a phone # so i call to get it fix please help ps if you in the bay area dont purchase from bay aera perfomance they will sell you somethig and lie to you in order to sell

Bronze Member

Post Number: 94
Hey guys, I don't think it's worth getting repaired unless the amp is worth 3x the repair cost at least. Think about it, depending on how it's repaired, it could have more problems down the road. It's not worth it.
Give different amp a try. Sometimes that's all you need, a fresh start.
If you HAVE to get it repaired, keep in mind what I said above, 3x the value of repair cost or else, you're just wasting money.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Hey DJ, What AMP do you have? J/W. I figured out why my amp has been blowing, kind of a stupid reason too. I totally forgot to fuse my distributive block. Anyways, e-mail me. Maybe we can see whats wrong.

Matty00pro
Unregistered guest
Hey i just got the Scosche wiring kit (1400w...4+8g), and was wondering if anyone knew if i need to fuse the Distribution block on this perticular one, or not?

dice37
Unregistered guest
can someone please help me i have an legacy 2400 watt amp and it works fine until a certain tone of bass comes on and then the fuses blow but only on certain songs

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Matty00PRO:

It is recommended you fuse the distribution block. When you change Speaker wire size, say from your 4 to 8, you should fuse the 8, because it is a big change for the wires and it could damage your AMP, just like I did. I blew my amp up because I didn't fuse my distributive block. Now that I fused it and bought a new AMP, it works great. :D

AIM : XTheDarkStalkerX

Silver Member

Post Number: 130
Hey Dice, Legacy amps aren't that great when it comes to performance. Anyways, if your fuse blows on certain songs, it's cause that song is causing the amp to into over drive. Check your gain/level settings. If they're correct, you might be using a fuse that's too small for the amp. What size is it? Do you have proper wiring too? For 2400W, I hope you're not using the stock alternator.

bang bang bang
Unregistered guest
i have a fosgate rfs 1410 and a 75 watt x 2 @ 2 ohms amp can i hook this up to a stock radio

Silver Member

Post Number: 214
You can hook that up as long as your HU has rca output jacks. If not then you'll need speaker wires to rca converter.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us