Custom system for a 1963 mercury comet

Unregistered guest
Okay folks here is the issue. I have a 1963 Mercury comet. I am having issues on whether or not to aim the subs toward the trunk or toward the front of the car. I also am trying to decide whether to port the box or seal the box. I just don't have much experience with car audio so if anybody has any ideas please let me know.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5594
ported, and aim the subs toward the rear, with the box against the back of the rear bench.

Silver Member
Username: Audiobahn_man

Freakmont, MI

Post Number: 268
Well, does the back seats fold down?? If they do, he could make a box to completely seal the box from the trunk and have the subs facing the cabin, then there would be no loss of energy since it would all be firing into the cabin am I correct? He could even port it from the top of the box through the back deck which would be louder, and would still have close to 100% of the energy in the cabin.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5596
actually no.
firing into the trunk allows more resonation for the waveform. you'll get more bass usually that way as opposed to firing into the cabin.
If he wants more SQ than SPL, he could seal off the trunk and use an aperiodic enclosure, firing through a membrane into the cabin though.
you'll lose 3dB over sealed, but the driver control is exceptional.
firing ports through the rear deck limits frequency response to that of the port itself, and usually sounds boomy, and poor doing this, so I don't suggest that route either.
best to fire backward, and vent the package shelf to couple as much cabin air to the trunk as possible unless going AP.

Unregistered guest
Okay so far yall have been a great help. Now I am a layman when it comes to this. I am just learning this is my first project. What I have collected so far is that I need to fire the subs back and port the box with the ports basically firing into the back seat. Now should I build a wall completely seperating the cabin from the trunk? Or should I leave some open space. I just dont want the out of phase waves to cancel out the other frequencies.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5625
you want the box against the back of the trunk (toward the front of the car) but you want the subs facing the tail lights.. aimed away from the driver.

you also want to couple as much of the cabin air to the trunk as you can, so yes leave the gaps and do not seal the trunk off for a ported or sealed box.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us