Few Questions about power for everything

Username: Smhuosrktays

Rochester, New York USA

Post Number: 8
Im going to be running 1 amp(900rms) for my subs and 1 amp(60rms x 4 @ 4ohms) for my speakers. What gauge wire should I use for the sub? What gauge wire should I use for the speakers? Can I run all this from my battery with a high output alternator?
Also, I already have a cap for my subs and amp right now, will I still need this cap for the amps when I get a high output alt.?
Lastly, is there anything that anyone recommends me to buy other than this, like a dist. block or anything?

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 960
i would use no less than 2 guage power wire if it was me running over a 1000 watts for the subwoofer. i use 8 or 10 guage guage for the sub wiring. For the regular speakers 16 guage is fine. The power wire you would be fine running to your battery but make sure you get the propper batter connector for secure connection of your power wire and ground the amp no more than three feet from the amp (the shorter the better). Yes to the question about the ho alternator. The cap would be good to keep because even with the ho alternator it will help with demands on current and make things more stable. yes to the question on the distribution block. This will make things neater and provide easy connections and if you get it in an install kit youll cover the power wire distribution block proper battery connections and another set of rcas usually.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5112
"What gauge wire should I use for the sub? What gauge wire should I use for the speakers?"

2ga to 1/0ga from the battery
4ga to each amp from a fused distro block
for speaker wire, 18ga is fine for components, and 14ga for subs

"Can I run all this from my battery with a high output alternator?"

yes

"I already have a cap for my subs and amp right now, will I still need this cap for the amps when I get a high output alt.?"

it won't hurt. smooths out spikes in demand and improves latency for current supply to the amps.
capacitors and alternators serve different purposes so sure, use the cap too.

Rochester, New York USA

Post Number: 9
If I have 2ga running from my battery to a fused dist. block, and 4ga running to each amp., like you said, what should I use for the ground wire, 2ga or 4ga?
-Do you think 30ft. of 18ga wire is enough to connect all the component speakers?
-Is 6ft of 4ga enough to run from the dist. block to 2 amps(im pretty sure it is, just wondering)
-And last but not least, 10ft of 13ga wire should be enough to connect 1 amp to 2 subs, correct?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5153
use 4ga for ground as well..
or 8ga from block and for ground for the smaller amp if that's all it'll accept.

30ft is plenty.

6ft is plenty

10ft is good for 14ga I assume ya meant.

Rochester, New York USA

Post Number: 10
Hopefully my last question.
I know that a remote wire is needed for 1 amp, but do will I need 2 remote wires for 2 amps?
Im thinking that since the dist. block will be powering the 2 amps, that just 1 remote wire will be needed, and I would just run a wire from the amp(with the remote wire) to the other, which would turn them both on. Am I right about this?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5160
you can splice the remote wire at the amps to trigger up to about 3 devices.
after that you'd usually run the remote trigger wire to a small relay then go from the relay to the amps.
this prevents frying the remote line from lack of current..
so yes you'll be fine with two amps and splitting the remote line to trigger both on.

Bronze Member

Rochester, New York USA

Post Number: 11
Thanks a lot, now does anyone have an extra $600 they'd like to loan me? haha

Bronze Member

Rochester, New York USA

Post Number: 13
I came across a few more questions.
Should a 150a fuse be good for what Im going to be running?
Do I need a second set of RCA's? I already have one set for the amp for my subs, but will I need a second set of RCA's for the amp for my speakers?

Bronze Member

Rochester, New York USA

Post Number: 14
anyone? help

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5700
fuse size should be based on current draw, based on amplifiers and load.
you need one pair of RCA lines per pair of pre-outs and pair of channels.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us