Speaker wire? importance of size?

Silver Member
Username: Symplestiles

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 245
whats up all. just wondering if speaker wire size for the subs to amp is a huge deal or not. i have a 4guage amp kit and was thinking about buying 12guage speaker wire instead of using the really small stuff. would this improve sound or at least make for a better connection? any help is appreciated! thanks

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2601
You really can't size wire too large. There is only a difference of 0.1 db between 18 guage and 12 guage wire. I usually use 12-14 guage for subs, it's more than enough for most applications.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5552
if ya want it to look pretty, use 12ga.
14ga is plenty for subs though in reality.
the output of the amp is high voltage AC. not high current DC like it has going in, so the heat isn't there to worry about, which is why ya need the fat power cable.

Silver Member
Username: Symplestiles

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 248
thanks alot guys, both 12 and 14 guage were the same price and same length so i went with the 12. thanks again!

Bronze Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 14
Sup ryan..i just wanted 2 say thanx 4 askin nicley 4 help bcause there was this dude who wanted help but acted like a pr1ck about it and he dissed kicer

poopsicle
Unregistered guest
Hey, Im running 16 gauge wire to my subs (300 watts each); would running 14 or 12 be beneficial/would it degrade anything if I ran lower?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5736
16ga is plenty. you won't see any change increasing the size.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us