Confused About Amps!

Username: Littlepieces13

South Dakota USA

Post Number: 5
I just got a 15" subwoofer for my birthday... I'm in love with bass so it rocks... But I need to get an amp and everything else to run it... And I'm not quite sure what I need. The sub is 500 watts RMS and 1000 peak. WHAT AMP SHOULD I GET?? Some people say I need over 1000, some think I don't even need 500... and then there's 500x1, 300x4, 700x2, etc.. what does that mean?? I have 2 sony xplod 6x9's too, and an Alpine OR a Sony cd player for my car, the Alpine has subwoofer controls on it and my Sony doesn't, so i think I should use the Alpine, right? Oh yeah, and my sub is a Kicker Comp VR... I need to get an amp so I can get it all in my car soon!! Somebody who can help me please do so!

South Dakota USA

Post Number: 6
K Now This thing is really startin to make me mad!

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4737
use the Alpine.
use the alpine to power the inside speakers.
look at an amp like the Kicker KX400.1 for the CVR sub if the sub has dual 4 ohm coils.
If yours is the dual 2 ohm version, you'll need a larger amp like the Kicker KX600.1 or 800.1 or similar.
MTX has good equivelant amps too.

you don't want to exceed 500wRMS for that sub.
the amp you want depends on the coil setup of that sub

South Dakota USA

Post Number: 7
It is a 2 ohm voice coil... You said not to get an amp higher than 500 watts or what did you mean? If it's 2 ohm then don't I have to get a 600 or 800?? Or is that watts (Kicker KX600.1 or 800.1)???

Thanks for your help!

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4751
if the sub is 2 ohms, you want an amp that produces about 400-500 watts RMS at 2 ohms.
that'll be a mono amp.

the JL Audio 500.1 would do just fine.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4752
500/1 that is.
1am typo.

South Dakota USA

Post Number: 9
awesome, thank you, you are so much help!!

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4765
if the JL is too expensive (and they aren't cheap) I believe Kicker, MTX, and Rockford Fosgate all offer mono class-D amplifiers in the 400-500 watt at 2 ohm range as well, for considerably less money.
The JL is a fantastic amp, but you pay for that, too. I just glanced and noticed you're pretty young, so I don't know what sort of budget constraints you're contending with.

Username: Whitebread

Post Number: 7
Hifonics is a good bang for your buck brand. The Hifonics Brutus BX500D will cost you about 150 bucks and puts 500 watts into 1 ohm. I donno the ohmn rating for your sub but if it's a dual VC sub, each coil would need to be 2 ohmns. If you need more power, the BX1000D should be about 200 dollars.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4766
the CVR line are generally offered as dual 2 ohm and dual 4 ohm models.

he's got a point. Jenny, could you specify if yours is single or dual coils, and if it is dual, is it dual 4 ohm?

this will make a difference in amplifier selection.

South Dakota USA

Post Number: 10
it's a Dual 2 ohm voice coil... and i don't have a lotta money to spend either.

Bronze Member

South Dakota USA

Post Number: 11
If there isn't a 500 to choose from, would I want to go lower or higher? For example: Kicker makes a 400.1 and a 600.1 mono 2 ohm etc whatever amp.. so which one would I want?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4780
aha, ok it's dual 2 ohm which means when it's wired up, you'll have either a 1 ohm or a 4 ohm sub.

here's my amp suggestion then:
JBL BP600.1 with the sub wired at 1 ohm (parallel coils.)
the amp is stable to 1 ohm, and will give ya 600wRMS.
it's slightly over the rated power for the sub, but that shouldn't be an issue.. as long as you don't turn the volumn to 100%, you won't give the sub more than it's 500 watt rated power anyway :-)

the BP600.1 can be had for under $200.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4781
if ya do go with the JBL, spend an extra $5, and get a pair of RCA cable Y-splitters (2 male to 1 female)
the JBL has 4 RCA inputs, and for optimal performance, you want to give signal to all 4.
this will allow one pair of RCA jacks to supply signal to all 4 inputs easily.

Bronze Member

South Dakota USA

Post Number: 12
Why would i have a 1 ohm or a 4 ohm sub? Why would it change??? What does it mean to have the sub wired at 1 ohm? What happens if I do turn it up too loud? How do I know how loud I can turn it up?
That's all I don't get.. but everything else makes sense to me now.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Well, it's 1 or 4 ohmns because you have to wire the 2 voice coils in either series or parallel. Series wireing with lead to 4 ohmns and parallel to 1 ohmn. wireing the sub in 1 ohmn will let you use a less powerful amp as long as it's 1 ohmn stable, if you turn the volume up too loud, weather it's wired for 4 ohmn or 1, the sub could be pushed beyond it's mechanical limits, the VCs could melt, or the amp could clip, short or melt/catch on fire. Usually, though, your ears will fatigue long before the sub and amp do, if your worried, just listen for excess distortion and or a clapping noice. The distortion means something, either the sub or the amp (usually the amp) is being pushed too hard. Clapping means the voice coils are hitting the pole piece or some other part of the driver. That is a huge NONO.

Bronze Member

South Dakota USA

Post Number: 13
I couldn't find the JBL BP600.1 well, it's not on thier web site. I found a JBL GTO601.1 It has 424 watts RMS x 1 channel at 4 ohms
OR
580 watts RMS x 1 channel at 2 ohms
does that sound right??? I found that one on ebay for around $200.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Unless you WANT a new amp, there's no reason to buy a new one. I'm just saying, be careful when turning up the volume (frankly, your ears will probably hurt before you get the volume up loud enough to damage the driver).

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4794
try sounddomain.com or cardomain.com or etronics.com for the bp600.1

for load, or impedance, your sub has two pair of speaker terminals, and correspondingly, two voice coils.
these two coils need to be wired together.
if you wire them in parallel, the load is halved.
if wired in series, the load is doubled from what you get with one coil.
It sounds complicated, but it simply boils down to electrical laws and resistance. the reason the sub is offered with dual coils is to allow more flexibility in wiring options for whatever amp you choose.

here's how the sub would be wired for 1 ohm:
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard.asp?WoofQty=1+woofer&WoofImp= Dual+Voice+Coil+-+2+ohms+x+2&image.x=10&image.y=9
"wiring option #1"

the bp600.1 should cost between $150-200 if I recall.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4795
Jon, she doesn't have an amplifier yet.
this is why she needs to find the right amp for her sub, and trying to find something in the 500 watt range that's affordable, at either 1 or 4 ohms.

as for turning up the volume, don;t worry about it. the sub will be fine. just be sure it's set up properly.
the manual will tell you how to do that.

Bronze Member

South Dakota USA

Post Number: 14
All right, i won't break my amp.. i promise. hehe
I'M going to buy the JBL GTO601.1 amp.. if I shouldn't, stop me now!!!

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4800
the GTO amp will do the job.
looks good.

you'd know if the sub was close to damage anyway. you'd hear it. If the sub starts to pop and sound distorted, turn the volume down.. that's a good sign it's bottoming out or the gain is set too high :-)
it's really just common sense. If you take care of the gear it'll last.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
O, I'm sorry for the mis understanding.

Here's a Hifonics Brutus BX500D. exactly 500 wats RMS into 1 ohmn for 180 dollars. There was another online store with the same amp for 140 dollars, but some of the ratings were bad.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=13119

Bronze Member

South Dakota USA

Post Number: 15
Okie... I think that the GTO series just replaced the BP series.. so it's the same.. cuz thats what it said somewhere..
Um... is it easy to hook it up (have someone i know do it) or should i just take it to radio shack?
Do the wires come with the amp?? (sorry if thats a dumb question)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
The hifonics is almost 100 bucks cheeper and people on numerous boards have recomended it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Wires do not come with the amp. As far as hooking it up goes, if you don't have any prior experience or knowledge, then either have someone help you OR (as a last resort) take it to a reputable intallation place. The most difficult part, IMO, will be running the wires through the car.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4805
I'm not wild about hifonics.
I know many folks like them, but I've seen them catch fire. that worries me.

for wiring go to www.knukonceptz.com
get the 4ga amp wiring kit for $25 or $30.
that's all you'll need to wire it all up.
if you've got some help from a friend or dad or something you'll be all set.
installing an amp is fairly simple if ya follow the directions and take your time to do it right.

Bronze Member

South Dakota USA

Post Number: 16
now i'm confused looking at all those wires.. where do they all go?! Well.. it's all right.. i'll get it all figured out as soon as i get my amp. Thank you so much for helpin me out.. i'd ne lost if it wasn't for you guys!!! :D

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
GlassWolf, do you like the way they sound? Is your dislike of them based soley on the incident when one of them caught fire?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4820
some of their products are pretty good, others aren't.
the problem is knowing which is which.
I've had plenty of experience with their products over the years at work. Mostly replacing stuff another local shop installed or sold to customers.

Jennie, I noticed you look up products on the manufacturers' websites.
If you do this for the amplifier you're buying, you can download the PDF format owners manual from the same page.
Do this, and you can read up on the amp and how to install it, what the wires do, and so forth before it arrives.
If nothing else, it gives ya something to drool over for a bit.. hehe

Bronze Member

South Dakota USA

Post Number: 17
Hey, thanks for the advice, i tried to download something already and it's all that adobe workshop or whatever.. and i dont have it so it gets all screwed up.. yeah.. lol... but ill try it again.. cuz that sounds like a good idea...

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2374
Nearly every car audio manufacturer uses PDF files to list product information, if you plan to look at a lot of audio products, I recommend you install Adobe Acrobat, I promise it'll be very useful :-) Amplifier installation itself isn't very difficult, mainly it's just involved and requires patience and not shortcutting anything. The most difficult part of it is actually making the wire runs, drilling hole in the firewall and putting a grommet there, actually mounting the amp, etc. This page will walk you through installing a car audio amp.
http://www.caraudiohelp.com/how_to_install_a_car_amp/how_to_install_a_car_amp.ht m#how_to_install_a_car_amp
As you can see, it's not so much the actual wiring of the amp, it's mainly running wires and connecting RCAs, etc. If you feel uncomfortable with doing any of this, I recommend you take your vehicle to a reputable shop and have it professionally installed, and that way most will ensure their installation and you'll be protected if anything on the install side of things messes up. If you can find a JBL BP600.1, then I'd recommend that amp, I can't remember if the GTOs are 1 ohm stable. They're also cheaper than the GTOs are right now, you just have to look around for them via a google search. IMO, they're a better amp as well, although not quite as pretty :-). Hope this helps

Bronze Member

South Dakota USA

Post Number: 18
I bought the GTO601.1 yesterday.. it'll be here in 4 days! hehe... Um.. yeah I think i'll have my dad and some guy from here help him out.. cuz there's a few that have some good systems.. and yeah so hopefully with that and the link you gave me i should be fine.. ;) i hope! i dont feel like spending any more money than i need to...
Well i dont know if any of that made sense.. school made me stupid today.. hehe.. but thanks guys!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
The GTOs are 1 ohmn stable.

Glasswolf, thanks.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4854
as an addendum, acrobat reader is free. I think the current version is 6.0.2
adobe.com or any myriad of websites have links to download it.

best of luck. Let us know how it turns out, Jennie.

Bronze Member

South Dakota USA

Post Number: 19
all right, thank you soooo much.. I will let you know... thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2378
Actually, I just downloaded the PDF to JBL GTO amps and they are NOT 1 ohm stable. Sorry to inform that, but it's just the case, you'll need to send the amp back or run a 4 ohm load. I know that's a letdown for you. JBL states a minimum 2 ohm speaker load.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4870
that or just exchange the subwoofer for the dual 4 ohm coil version if you bought it new.
that'd be an easier option.
especially if it was purchased locally.
most stores will gladly swap the speaker if its still in new condition for the proper model like that.

Bronze Member

South Dakota USA

Post Number: 20
FVCK AN A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ugh.... sorry but im pissed now.... everything has to go wrong for me.... gosh.. whatever... fvck it all ill just throw it all away cuz ill just return something wrong or somethin probably... with my luck.... anyhooo... thanks for lettin me know.....

Bronze Member

South Dakota USA

Post Number: 23
alright........ so..... isn't 2 ohm better than 4 ohm? do i want a 4 ohm sub? why wont it be a 1 ohm thingy when you hook it up?

Silver Member
Username: Chevy_for_life

Post Number: 133
if u run 2 dual ohm sups in paralell it will be a 1 ohm.. if you run 4. 4 ohm subs in paralell it will be 1 ohm as well..

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 238
jennie,

sorry to hear that your GTO601.1 wont work for your CVR 15". but i have a JBL bp600.1 for sale, if your interested.

the bp600.1 would work w/ your kicker compvr 15" (dvc 2ohm). i am running it on a brahma 10" (dvc 2ohm) rite now, but i just got a bp1200.1 and i dont need the bp600.1 any more.

email me if your interested in the JBL BP600.1. i'll sell it cheaper than that GTO601.1 would cost.

marshall_white2004@yahoo.com

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4888
Jen, take a deep breath. It isn't a major crisis.
a 2 ohm sub isn't any better than a 4 ohm sub etc..
the load options are strictly for matching the right load for the amplifier you choose.
it's for installation flexibility, nothing more.
they sound the same regardless of load.
with a mono 2 ohm stable amp (your GTO) and a single, DVC sub (your CVR) you'll want dual 4 ohm coils.
you'll then wire the speaker coils (the terminal pairs) together, plus to plus, and minus to minus with a short set of jumper wires.
then just wire the sub right to the amp using one pair of the speaker terminals on the sub.
that'll give you a 2 ohm load and full power from the sub.
just tell the store you got the wrong sub and need the dual 4 ohm version please.
they should be happy to exchange the speaker provided you have the box and all that for it.
We used to do that all the time for people where I worked when I was installing professionally.

Bronze Member
Username: Stanleyc

Post Number: 55
I think she needs to know what ohms and such are first. What is that one site about electronics and stuff. Starts with a b or something and is all weird. Whoever has it post that so she can learn.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4923
I told her all she really needs to know.
knowing Ohm's Law won't really serve any purpose but to be more to learn and confuse her with.
If she has a desire to learn more, that's great.
the site is www.bcae1.com
however, you're really putting a lot of effort into trying to confuse her by overcomplicating things.

for a mono amplifier that's 2 ohm stable (which her's is) and with a DVC sub (which hers also is) the sub needs to be 4 ohms per coil.
it's that simple.

the CVR line of subs come in two versions. dual 2 and dual 4 ohm coils.

Bronze Member

South Dakota USA

Post Number: 24
Okay... But I got that sub for my birthday from my dad... He bought it at Karl's, where he works, and I dont know if i even wanna tell him that I screwed up cuz then he'll just get all pissed off and everything.. when i get my amp, i'll just have someone else install it then when they tell me its wrong, ill tell my dad then and then ill go from there... he wont understand (cuz he never listens) if i try to explain it to him now cuz i hardly get it so then he'll just get all mad..... ugghhh.......

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4958
this is really simple, Jennie.
just tell him you need the "other version" of the sub.
the dual 4 ohm one.
it's a simple trade... tell him it'll work better using a single sub.. his would work better if you had two subs with a mono amp.

really its not a big deal

Bronze Member

South Dakota USA

Post Number: 25
Yeah, we were just talking about it.. i just told him to get a 4 ohm instead, and im pretty sure they cost the same, right? So it is easy, he just has to find one.. long story.. but i have it under control :-)

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4962
yeah, almost always the same price..
it's like coming in different colors.. it's just a configuration option.

they probably stock both versions side by side.
without having the amp first, it's very hard to buy the sub and know what to get.. no harm, no foul.

Bronze Member

South Dakota USA

Post Number: 26
awesome.. my amp will be here monday so yeah.. hopefully i can get it all put in before thanksgiving!

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4973
got a box for the sub yet?
if ya need a cheap one, check out www.bigdogcaraudio.com
they have well made enclosures for very cheap.. nice terminals, carpeted, etc.. made from good MDF.
fine one for a single fifteen and you're in business.

Bronze Member

South Dakota USA

Post Number: 27
Thanks, but I already have one... my daddy built one for me.. :-) Does size and all that stuff matter... what do I want for a box?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4979
yeah it'll matter.
if it's a sealed box for a 15" sub, you'll want it to be between 2.5 and 3 cubic feet of volume (minus the displacement of the speaker itself)
this is easy to measure using LxWxH.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4980
by the way, a note on box building..
for ideal performance, you don't want the back of the box parallel with the front (speaker mounting side) of the enclosure.
if they are, you'll get wave cancellation, and the sub will sound very poor.
angle the back of the box just a bit, like about 15 degrees, and all your problems will be solved.
use 3/4" MDF and if possible, cross-brace the box inside with 1"x1" pieces of MDF or wood.
join the box using liquid nails, and if desired, 1.5" coarse thread drywall screws every 3"-4" apart, and seal along the inside joints using clear silicone caulking.
also be sure to seal around any openings in the box such as speaker terminals.
that's the way to build a proper box.

Bronze Member

South Dakota USA

Post Number: 28
wow... i think i'll just buy one.. the one he built, i dunno if it follows any of those rules. The side that the sub is in is slanted... and its like.. wood.. ply wood?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5003
ask your dad if it's MDF or plywood.. he'll know which it is.
the front being slanted is very good.

Bronze Member

South Dakota USA

Post Number: 29
Hi, it's me again. I got my amp last week and I just need to know exactly what I need to do when I install it. I'm gunna have a friend of mine do it i think and I want it done right. I'm gunna get that 4 ohm sub (if your POSITIVE i need a 4 ohm instead of a 2 ohm) and then i'm gunna have him do it so please just explain the wiring to me again or something so I can understand it clearly.

Bronze Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 15
Whoa, that's a lot of posting for one person! Ha ha just kidding. I have an alternative solution. Instead of returning the subs and exchanging it, why not just use one voice coil? I'm doing that right now with my amp. You don't really need to hook up both to get great sound. If the amp is only 2 ohms rated, then use one of the connectors on the speaker. If the amp is bridged, you'll get full sound in once voice coil connection. If you're having a friend install all your components, then make sure he knows how to install the power wires properly! If not, you'll get engine noise when the volume is up. If you're not sure, I'd get the power wiring done by a pro, then have your friend install the amp and the rest. If you're lucky, most guys that install the power wires, will install the amp for free if you're there to chat with them. I did that with my car. Just had the amp in my trunk where the wiring was suppose to take place, and the guy asked me if I wanted it connected near the end. Just be friendly with the installer, I'm sure you know how to do that.

Bronze Member

South Dakota USA

Post Number: 30
I don't know what "just use one voice coil" means.... I'm sorry.. I'm sort of confused as it is.. I just want to get the right stuff so I can listen to my freakin music!! Well.. I'm gunna go up to radio shack today and talk to someone about it... cuz i dont know how smart my bud is on hookin it up... i know he knows how to put it in but you guys are like really technical on the wiring and i doubt he knows any of that cuz he's not exactly a genius... anyhoo.... I'll just go there today..

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5418
Ignore Isaac. using only one coil of a DVC sub will damage it.

you need to get that dual 4 ohm coil sub to get the full power out of that mono amp.
between the amp manual and an amp wiring kit, you should know all ya need for hooking everything up.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Hey GlassWolf what do you mean it'll damage it?? Have you any fact to support your statement? I've been using it in my car for years! I don't understand how using one connection will damage it. They give you 2 connection so that if your amp couldn't handle the ohms, you have an alternative.
I do really would like to hear your facts though. From the electronics experts I dealt with, what you said don't hold water. If you have a link that I can go to and read up on it, feel free to direct me.

Thanks.

Mustang
Unregistered guest
You can't damage a DVC just by using one! Get your facts straight man.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5432
Qts and Qws double. sensitivity decreases by +3dB and power handling is cut in half.
the enclosure dimensions will have to be altered, output is decreased, and linearity of the driver can be affected causing the coils to fray.
Jennie was looking at an enclosure pre-made for the sub she has, and already has an amp that will deliver the rated power if she has the proper sub.
Considering it won't cost her a dime to exchange the sub, why deal with these drawbacks?
Yes some subs (like Adire's) can be run with only one coil if you alter the TS specs for the change, but don't assume this will workk with every sub. Assuming such things is when you will end up damaging someone's gear through faulty advice.

I don't have any web links, sorry. I have my EE and MECP Gold certification and 15 years of experience as an installer and in IASCA events though, for whatever that's worth.
This is a wonderful world though in that you're perfectly welcome to disagree.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Hey I read up on DVC. They as in speaker designers says you can't damage it by using only one but then again they also said it's not a good idea to operate with one voice coil.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5442
On a side note, I've had a few, though not many speakers come in that after being torn down, appeard to suffer some damage due to the uneven heat generation by using a single coil this way, too.
From what I could tell, one coil would expant due to the heat generated by the amount of wattage applied, and the other coil wouldn't. This seemed to cause some uneven wear on teh coils together which looked to have worn out the coils causing them to fray, and eventually cause a short across the coils, which of course ends up toasting amplifiers and freezing up the speaker cone.
Like I said though, not all that common, but then I don't use just one coil in my installs so it was mostly repair from other peoples' work when I'd see that. Could have been a bad sub, might have frayed from clipping.. hard to say, but that's how it appeared.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us