Car Swap...

Silver Member
Username: Audiobahn_man

Freakmont, MI

Post Number: 247
Ok, right now i have a 99 ford taurus and because of the oval window shape in the back my box size is limited greatly. I was talking with my dad and right now he is driving our 95 ford explorer, and i told him once i get my dent fixed that i would trade him straight up. I was thinking for awhile and thought this would be a good idea, because i owuld have more space, a biger alternator, and the cabin gain would be great. I dont really care what car I have just as long as i can get what i wanted into it. The explorer has 150k miles and the taurus only have 76k. They ae both in great condition. Should I do it? If i did i was thinking about getting another 12'' V-Max to run off of my JBL bp600.1, only underpowering each by around 100watts. any imput would be great!

Silver Member

Freakmont, MI

Post Number: 250
I was thinking about 3 V-Max's in a 8 cubic foot box with a massive slot port and having the subs facing up....would that work?

Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 3
I bought an explorer because I could get a bigger system into it. I picked my vehicle to fit my system not the other way around. I like my explorer.

Silver Member

Freakmont, MI

Post Number: 252
Anyone know the cabin gain over a car?

Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 5
you can carry bigger friends. is that cabin gain?

Silver Member

Freakmont, MI

Post Number: 253
rofl, no, in a car you get alittle Db increase because of the cabin, in an SUV it is higher because of there not being a trunk, and i was wondering if anyone knew the Db increase from a car to an SUV

Silver Member
Username: Symplestiles

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 228
your going to be running 3 12" VMAXs of that bp600.1? or only 2?

Silver Member

Freakmont, MI

Post Number: 256
well I have 2 right now....but i was thinking about running another 12'' so i would have 3 instead of two...
I would get the third one as DVC so i could wire it to 1 ohm since the amp is 1 ohm stable, it would be underpowering each sub by 100watts, so i dont really know what i should do....

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2552
SUVs are pretty good for SPL, but you have to remember that the subs are (usually) further away from you and the cabin is much larger, meaning more air to compress. Compared to a car in which you haven't vented the trunk and cabin, the SUV will likely give more SPL. If you had a smaller car with the trunk fully vented to the cabin, it may give more SPL than the SUV would. It's totally dependant on the car and how your setup is. Saying it's an older SUV that has double the miles on it, I don't really know if you should jump on the deal, but that depends on your plans for either vehicle and what you like. Remember that if you ever decide to sell your vehicle, yours in it's current state will have more resale value, not to mention the car will have better gas mileage if you drive a lot or will commute to school or work in the future. It really depends on what kind of driver you are.

Silver Member
Username: Symplestiles

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 231
jonathan, would 2 12" VMAXs with the correct amount of power (300watts a piece) hit harder and sound cleaner than 3 12" VMAXs with only 200 watts a piece going to each?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2555
The 3 would most likely still hit harder due to the surface area. Plus, 300W is a thermal rating, the subs don't necessarily need all of that 300 to reach full linear excursion.

Silver Member

Freakmont, MI

Post Number: 258
Well gas and such dont matter because its really not MY car. But all i want to know is if its worth 110$ to get another 12 and will there be more SPL in the SUV compared to the fors taurus. I want the body pannels to flex like in the powered4sound movie :D
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us