Sub pops

Username: Nimaj

Post Number: 1
I just put in a new 10" subwoofer, and at semi loud volumes it pops then stops playing. I cant get it to play again till i turn my reciever off and then back on. Its annoying cause i cant even play it loud. My clarion reciever has a speaker protect circuit could that be it? or is my new sub Blown?

Silver Member
Username: Audiobahn_man

Freakmont, MI

Post Number: 254
what kind of sub is it?

Post Number: 4
Rockford Fosgate P310D2
Punch Stage 3 10" component subwoofer with dual 2-ohm voice coils

Alpine MRP-M350
200W x 1 at 4 ohms Mono Subwoofer Amp
350 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms

I have it wired in 2 ohm

BlownRiv
Unregistered guest
could be the amp is shutting down from getting too hot?

Bronze Member
Username: Elecgenius

La Puente, Ca United States

Post Number: 90
i think u got a problem withthe wiring man.. that used to happen to me when one of my rca's was grounding the positive on the chassis. maybe its the graounding on ur amp.... try to check the connections

Post Number: 6
thats what i thought to, the wiring, i have checked and double checked i cant find anything unusual. could it be the sub itself? i just got it.

Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 8
How do you have a 2 ohm dvc speaker wired at 2 ohms? Is the amp bridged? if it is then you need to wire the speaker in series not parallel. Maybe your running a 1 ohm load on the amp. That would sure do it.

Post Number: 7
i have each coil wired in parellel, negative to negative to negative, and vice versa, according to the rockford fosgate book, my amp is a mono amp so i cant bridge it, how is it possible to run a 1 ohm load??

yep
Unregistered guest
if you have that dvc 2 ohm sub ran parrallel then your amp is seeing a 1ohm .

this is your problem, the amp is only 2 ohm stable.

you will need either a dvc 4 ohm sub or an amp that is 1 ohm stable.

Post Number: 8
Is there no way to wire a 2 ohm dvc sub in 2 ohms??

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 704
you may need to look at some better shielded RCA cables. Check Kuno-concepts.com

Bronze Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 15
you can wire it in series and have 4 ohms and your amp will still put out 200 watts. otherwise you will need a 1 ohm stable amp or a 4 ohm dvc speaker in parallel

Bronze Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 16
or get another speaker and wire both speakers in parallel and then series them to the amp. or series each speaker and parallel them to the amp. this would give you 2 ohms.

BlownRiv
Unregistered guest
quote: "Is there no way to wire a 2 ohm dvc sub in 2 ohms??"

yep. there's one way: use two amps - one on each coil.

Post Number: 9
would running it in 1 ohm for a day or 2 hurt anything? would i blow my amp or sub? other than the speaker popping and cutting out thats the only symptom. would it hurt anything to use it till i can return it and get a 4 ohm dvc??

BlownRiv
Unregistered guest
the sound you're hearing might be the amp's defense mechanism. many amps have protection circuitry to defend against things such as too much heat and/or too much current delivery.

i don't know your amp that well, so i am only making a guess as to what's going on. it could be something entirely different.

if it were me, i wouldn't run things like they are. obviously, you have a problem that should be fixed asap. try disconnecting the turn-on lead to the sub amp. that way, you can listen to the rest of the system while you get the sub problem fixed.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us