Alpine or Kenwood around $350 Help

Anonymous

I am looking at a kenwood x979 and was wondering if anyone knows anything about them? I have an alpine 7894 right now, and would like to upgrade. Also looking for a control in the head unit for the subs. And hight power preouts, the alpine I have has 4 volts! Thanks

Username: Stanleyc

Post Number: 3
Hey cool, I was just thinking of the same thing. I keep seeing Alpine being mentioned in this forum and this is the first time someone has mentioned Kenwood. I was also looking at that model. However, I was wondering what the difference was between the x979 and the x969. One has 3D Mask Pro the other 3D Mask 2. What is the difference? Also how is the SQ and tweekabitly of Kenwood versus Alpine and Pioneer? I was also looking into the Alpine CDA-9835 and DEH-P960MP. How do those HU's compare with each other?

Bronze Member
Username: Deathshadow

Post Number: 68
Alpine or Pio

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4968
I'd go alpine cda-9833 but I dislike kenwood a lot.
Clarion Pro Audio is good too.
why do you want more than a 4v preout?
higher than that and most amps can't handle it.

Bronze Member
Username: Jaackdeth

Burnett, WI United States

Post Number: 28
What model number is that Clarion Hu? Just wondering as there are quite a few of them. Thanks

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4985
find one ya like.

Username: Sirk_excelon

Post Number: 1
The main differences between the X979 and X969 is that the 979 has your A.M.S. power settings for your current 2004 eXcelon amps. The other thing is that it has a built in dolby processer that will simulate surround sound. Those are just a few little things. I would go with the X979, soon you will want a new kenwood amp, and you will want the A.M.S. on your deck

Post Number: 2
as to why you would want more then a 4V preout, get an real amp.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5056
you hype kenwood amps, then in the next breath you say to get ral amps?
hahahahaha
oh man, if I wasn't laughing so hard at that, I'd be able to think up a more humorous comeback.

I'm running gear of a quality kenwood only dreams of being able to produce. Get real.
Kenwood makes products with nice creature comfort features, and decent looks. Sadly, their reliability record is crap. When they can make amps that don't have high failure rates, or a tendancy to shut off running a 2 ohm load.. let me know.

Post Number: 4
Well we can do a KAC810D which runs 1 ohm just fine. If kenwood excelon amps fail so much why do they have a 3 year factory warrenty?? Also as for loud, how is this, I have 2 10" subs, with an 810D amp, and I run an excelon kdcx869 cd player, and when i run comps, I hit 152dB's. Most twelve's or 15's can't even hit that.

Post Number: 5
Oh and just for everybodys info, I worked for a car audio company, that sold Kenwood, Clairion, Kicker, Rockford, Audio Bahn, and Alpine. Out of every amp we had returned, I would say maybe 15% of them where kenwood, where as kicker was more like 50%. By the way Glass Wolf, when was the last time you ran a comp, and what was your score? And what kinda subs and how many, cause no sht, mine was 151.8 dB's.

Username: Vtdakotaguy

VT United States

Post Number: 4
Hey Kris Clark can I ask you a question?

Post Number: 6
of course you can, thats why we are here

Post Number: 7
I don't want anybody to get the wrong impression of me, I am really actually a fan of Clarion, Alpine, and Panasonic, and a few high end pioneer HU's as well. I'm not here to piss anyone off, I just don't want kenwood to have a bad rap, because I have, and have known a lot of people who have had tremondous success with them.

newguyknowitall
Unregistered guest
Quoting Kris: "By the way Glass Wolf, when was the last time you ran a comp, and what was your score? And what kinda subs and how many, cause no sht, mine was 151.8 dB's."

Huh, I think Glasswolf has been in a comp or two. I can't wait to see his response to this ?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5327
Sorry if I came across a bit rude there.
I was having a very bad week at the time.
Anyway, I used to compete in IASCA pro circuit a few years back. I haven't been competing recently due to the inability to travel because of health issues. (dialysis and transplants make it hard to leave the area.. lol)
I ran two CV 12" subs in a 4.38ft^3 enclosure tuned to 34Hz with 4"ID ports. The system is outlined on my webpage. I was hitting a consistant 151 score with that car at events as well, so I was within half a dB of yours depending on the weather and my luck.

The Charger should do a bit better when I finish building it this winter. I'm hoping to get it finished up before next season so I can start competing again. System at the moment is the following;
alpine cda-7990
2 audiocontrol EQTs
orion 300psw preamp/eq
3 orion 2250sx amps
dynaudio system 360 front stage
2 RE triple X 12" subs
it's aimed at SQ exclusively though, not SPL, as all of my systems have been in the past. I was never a big fan of SPL events. I like style and realism over raw volume. That's what audio's all about to me at home and in the car anyway.
I'm still playing around with enclosures for the charger though, between fiberglass sealed and AP setups.
The charger is unique in that it's a fastback design, and the separater between the cargo area and the actual trunk is a piece of 3/4" wood that's hinged and drop out of the way with two levers to make the entire back end open.
I can have a car with a trunk, or a full flat bed depending on how I have the divider..
this gives me all sorts of nice options for enclosures.

poonytang
Unregistered guest
Kris what kind of 10 inchers do you have that hit that hard? Are they in one box or seperate?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I have two kenwood subs, they are the compition subs, they take apporix 1000 watts R.M.S. They are in a box with 1.5 cubic foot of air space per sub, with 1 1/2" ports. It's not not the eXcelon dB subs, these where just released a year and a half ago. I am currently learning how to fiberglass, that will be my next adventure.

I run an X879 CD/MP3 receiver
2 XR901 6x9's hooked up with a 450 watt kenwood amp
2 eXcelon 4x6's in the front with 4 Tweets, two in the factor door spot near the mirror, two in the door I mounted, they are hooked up with a 600x4 kenood amp. I have a Dolby Digial Processor, and Kenwood center channel. I have an external DVD player with Kenwood Touch screen.
The box is one box, but they are separted chambers.

All in all, I have do the best in SPL, but have done very well in SQ as well.

I really like building truck boxes in the bed of a truck, and puttin an insane amount of woofers and amps in there, and porting that through the cab, the results are insane. :-)

by the way knowitall, ur smart a$$ coment, was pretty lame. Step up and play with the big boys little kid.

newguyknowitall
Unregistered guest
"by the way knowitall, ur smart a$$ coment, was pretty lame. Step up and play with the big boys little kid."

Actually I thought it was pretty funny, maybe I took it the wrong way, I got the feeling you were on a "my stereo is louder than yours, nah nah nah nah nah naaa" tantrum.

So, sorry if you got your pantys in a bind, have to go now and find some big boys to play with.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us