Getting subs and amp, a couple questions first

Biggs
Unregistered guest
I decided a couple weeks ago that I was going to finally put subs in my 1989 honda prelude. I've already replaced the stock speakers with infinity reference speakers (REF6002i) and the stereo with a pioneer deh-p2500.

The first thing I did was start searching around online for suggestions, and I was overwhelmed with the sheer number of subs and amps available. I didnt want to spend more than $200 on the subs and $300 on the amp.

A friend of mine suggested that I get 2 JVC Warren G 12" subs. Upon research, they seemed pretty good, plus, I could get two of them for under $200, which was good. Would there be a better choice here considering my budget?

Also, for the amp, I decided on one jbl 1200wt amp, figuring this would give enough punch, unless of course you guys have any other suggestions.

Now, I started getting confused when ohms came into the picture. Is there somewhere that explains this? Would this combination of sub and amp work?

And one last question, the enclosure. Would it be better to just buy one or build one myself?

Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Boopers

Lima, Ohio United states

Post Number: 227
I don't know about those JVC, I'd go with 2 kicker comp vr 12's and a jbl600.1 or so would be a little less than what you were going to spend.

Bronze Member
Username: Napalmz

MIDWEST

Post Number: 35
id go with 2 adire audio shivas for the little over 200$ price range...farrr better quality than the kickers..IMO

Silver Member

Lima, Ohio United states

Post Number: 228
he said under 200, I was sticking with his price range, but yes, shivas are better

personally I had 2 kicker cvr10's and a coustic amp in a car of mine for over 2 yrs and was totally happy with them though. I'll recommend kicker to those who are looking for cheaper subs with plenty of confidence.

Biggs
Unregistered guest
The kickers look real nice, all the reviews say theyre awesome, I might go with them. The Shivas though, when you say a little over $200 do you mean like $210 or like $250? I could only find them for $250+, if you where to find them for less, please tell me. :-)

What about the amp though? Is the JBL 1200 overkill? Should I just go with the 600?

I don't want it to compitition loud or anything, just enough for some nice clean bass and enough to impress friends or turn heads when im driving down the street.

Thanks again!

Silver Member

Lima, Ohio United states

Post Number: 231
1200 for the kicker comps is overkill, at least for 2, if you had 4 it'd be ok. I would say the 600.1 running at 4 ohms would be great with 2 kicker cvr 12s

Biggs
Unregistered guest
alright, thanks a lot!

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5305
The Shivas are $120 each from adireaudio.com
They're worth the extra $40 easily.
They'll decimate pretty much anything in their price range for SQ and SPL.
That'd be my suggestion as well if you'll spend the added change.
If not, I'd second the CVR12 subs from Kicker for under 200/pr
The JBL will drive the Shivas nicely as they each will handle up to 650wRMS, but only require about 350 or so each to reach peak output in a good box.
regarding boxes, I don't know your skill levels for building them, so unless ya know what you're doing, I'd recommend having one made, or buying one pre-made.
The type of box will depend on your musical tastes but the Shivas and CVRs both do very well in ported enclosures.

Biggs
Unregistered guest
Awesome, Now I'll decide whether I want to spend the extra on the Shivas, becuase they do look nice.

Now one last question before I pull out the credit card. There are two Kicker CVR12 subs available, a 2ohms dvc version, and a 4ohms. As I understand, the JBL 1200.1 puts out 1200wts at 2 ohms. So I would want to get the 2ohms cvr12, and wire them in a series to get 2ohms out of the amp (does that sound right). I know the Shivas are 8ohms dvc, so wiring them in parallel should give me the same 2ohms from the amp. Am I on the right track here?

taylor
Unregistered guest
sum extra info hear is a good web site i just got 2 rockford 10 rfd2210 hx2 subs and 2 rockford amps and a cd player from www.sonicelectronix.com they got me the stuff fine no funny stuff but i don't know if they hav the brand's you want you still might want to check it out

Username: Bass89

Post Number: 1
im wanting to put in my own system but i dont know what is good and what isnt. im just wanting some loud bass at a good price and i need some info on how you pick an amp for your subs and what kinds. i just need like a basic over veiw

Anonymous

im wanting to put in my own system but i dont know what is good and what isnt. im just wanting some loud bass at a good price and i need some info on how you pick an amp for your subs and what kinds. i just need like a basic over veiw
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us