1 or 2 subs off same amp?

Username: Machman

Post Number: 1
I've got a Kenwood KAC-7201 800W amp that runs 150W RMS X 2 @ 4 Ohms, 230W RMS x 2 @ 2 Ohms, or 460W x 1 @ 4 Ohms. ...although it's apparently not that stable at 2 Ohms so forget that.

I have the option of putting 1 or 2 Infinity 300W RMS 12" subs in an inclosed box and I'm not sure if I should bridge my amp and run 1 sub at 460W, or run 2 channels and 2 subs at 150W RMS each.

What would you guys do? I'm not worried about the cash either, just what is overall going to be the best both in terms of SQ and SPL.

Silver Member
Username: Decde

Canada

Post Number: 171
i wouldn't run the subs with 150rms. To low, you would probly make your amp clip, that will blow your 2 subs, and f*ck up your amp. I'm not perfectly sure, but i woudn't.If i were you, i would sell your amp, and get another one, a jbl 600.1 would be a great match for your subs.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5171
with the same amp, between one or two subs, run two.
you lose some power by bridging the amp as opposed to running at a lower load in stereo.
also you gain +3dB by using two subs as opposed to one of all else is equal.

don't be fooled. My old IASCA car ran two 12" subs with an Orion 280GX (160wRMS x 2 @ 2 ohms) and I was metering at 151dB consistantly, so low power systems can still be loud. It's just a matter of how well it's designed.

Post Number: 2
Would I be better off to run one larger sub like the new JVC g series which have 350 RMS (and dual 4 Ohm voice coils)?

...as you can see, I'm trying to work with the amp and am flexible on subs.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5182
I'd say use two kicker CVR12 12" subs
use the dual 4 ohm coil versions.
that'll be a two ohm stereo load, and you'll get close to 300wRMS per sub.
that'll be close to ideal power for those subs.
they run around $99 each.
bigdogcaraudio.com sells a slot vented box just for the CVR12 subs for about $45.
great box, too.
that'd be all ya need.

Post Number: 3
Right now I can get a deal on the JVC g funks. Is it possible to wire one of those at 4 Ohm bridged mono since it has dual 4 Ohm voice coils?

If so, how exactly would you wire it?

If not, how exactly would you wire two of them?

...I'm just trying to learn all this stuff and it is not easy!

Thanks!

Post Number: 4
Is it true that two of these DVC JVCs wired in series will produce a 4 Ohm load on my amp? If so, how much power would each sub see?

...dam this stuff is confusing

Silver Member
Username: Boopers

Lima, Ohio United states

Post Number: 215
you'd wire the coils series and the subs parallel that'd give you 4ohm bridged

Post Number: 5
More questions:

1) you can't get a 4 Ohm load from a single DVC 4 Ohm sub right? It'll be either 2 or 8 right?

2) to produce a 4 Ohm load on my amp (which is the only way it's stable from what I hear) and to get 230W RMS to each of my subs, I'd bridge my amp so there are only two wires coming from it with a total of 460W RMS. Then I'd run the 2 DVC 4 Ohm speakers in parallel by connecting the + amp lead to a + pole on each speaker, and connect the - lead from the amp to a - pole on each speaker. Then I'd connect the remaining 2 poles (+/-) on each speaker together with a short peice of wire?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5189
1) you can't get a 4 Ohm load from a single DVC 4 Ohm sub right? It'll be either 2 or 8 right?

right

2) if you have two subs, don't bridge teh amp.
put one sub on each channel.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us