Alpine CDA-9833, No Amp, Perfect 6.1 Tweeters Distorting? Why?

Username: Yinyang

CA

Post Number: 1
Equipment used:

Alpine CDA-9833 (26x4 watts RMS, 60x4 Max)
Front: Perfect 5.1 component (100 watts RMS, 400 Peak)
Rear: Perfect 6.1 component (100 watts RMS, 400 Peak)
External Amp: None used at the moment
Problem: Getting some distortion at high volumes from the tweeters.

The Alpine CDA-9833's volume starts and ends from 1-35 Max. When I play some rap and turn the volume up to about 22 to 23 I start to get some clipping and or distortion coming from the tweeters (remember I am using the Alpine's internal amplifier). I can still hear great SQ at lower volumes only up to the point of about 22 to 23 volume where I get the distortion. Do you think I blew my tweets, or the Alpine HU has passed the point of it's RMS wattage that has caused it's great SQ to distort at this high volume level? Please help with your opinions. Thanks in advance.

Farmer
Unregistered guest
Any idea where I can get 4"x6" 8 ohm speakers? They are OEM for an early '70s' Allis Chalmers combine (no longer available OEM). 4 ohm is all I can find. Strange request, but I'd like to keep it original without going the autoformer route. Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5121
above about 22 on the Alpine, you'll introduce clipping from the internal amplifier and head unit itself.
You need to look at using a 4 channel amplifier, rated for about 75wRMS to 100wRMS x 4 if you really want to bring Perfects to life.
They just sound lousy with that little power.. not enough juice to get the midrange drivers moving.
those Perfects like to have good clean power, and plenty of it.
suggest kicker kx600.4 or 800.4
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us