Newb. First attempt at wiring an amp any help would be great

Bimmerguy
Unregistered guest
I have a 95 3 series so I do not have to run the power wires through any fireqalls. the battery is in the trunk. I am using a v12 alpine 90x4 200x1 at 4ohm and max volatge of 14.4 rms. I just bought a phoenix gold kit for 8 gauge. Here is my plan a bit long.

I have an alpine headunit cd-9811 and an alpine mrv-357 v12 amp. I just bouht a pheonix gold 8 gauge amp install kit ( the amp requires 8 gauge).

Here are my questions.
My amp says I need a negative ground wiring in my car to work. Does this mean I tap into the - terminal instead of the +?

I have also read here and there that I need to ground the battery? What does this mean, doesn't the battery already have a Ground? I thought the - was the ground?

I have a 120 amp upgraded alternator on the car that is from a model that had heated seats and mirrors, but I do not, will I need any bigger of a fuse than a 40a agu fuse that came with the 8 gauge kit.

thanks let me know nay does and don't, this will be my first time.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5048
"My amp says I need a negative ground wiring in my car to work. Does this mean I tap into the - terminal instead of the +?"

no. pos terminal of battery to pos input of amplifier (fused)
ground amp to bare chassis metal.
that statement just means you need a negative ground electrical system, which you have.

"I have also read here and there that I need to ground the battery? What does this mean, doesn't the battery already have a Ground? I thought the - was the ground?"

you need to replace the ground cable for the battery with 8ga cable. same size you used for the pos and ground of the amp.
it's a circuit. every cable in the circuit needs to be the same size for the larger cable to serve any purpose.

a 65A fuse would do the job if you're actually running 90wRMS x 4 and 200wRMS x 1.
40A is a bit small, but you can try it.
if you blow the fuse then upgrade to a 60A

bimmerguy
Unregistered guest
I believe my battery is o gauge for the + and -.

I do not understand,do I need an additional ground for my battery, doesn't my battery already have a ground? isn't the ground for my amp sufficient?

thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us