DVC or SVC...that is the question????

Username: Krazyk

South Afica

Post Number: 1
Im in the process of upgrading my subs and amp.. I need to know whats the vast difference with Single Voice Coil or Dual Voice... I know the price factor.. but is the sq or spl worth the extra bucks??? Need help !!! to buy..???

ThatGuyYouKnow
Unregistered guest
Dual voice coils enable for your subs to take more RMS and handle diffent loads of Ohms that will work to the best of it capiblities with your amp.

Just like when I recived my RE SE's yesturday, they where Dual 4Ohm and wired each for a 2Ohm load per channel on my amp, witch my amp will put out most RMS on that setting.

South Afica

Post Number: 2
if I buy 2 DVC subs, will a 2ohm stable mono amp handle the load

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2439
Depends on the impedance. For a 2 ohm mono amp and 2 subwoofers, you'll need either dual 2 ohm or dual 8 ohms subs. There is no SPL or SQ benefit of DVC subs, it's simply for wiring flexibility. A SVC sub is capable of handling the same thermal power if designed to do so.

South Afica

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the response Jonathan

These are my options: you seem to be well versed in audio systems.
Im looking at getting either

Sony XM-D1000P5
amp 500W x 1 @ 4ohm mono, 900W x 1 @ 2ohm

or

Sony XM-2200GTX
1200w, 2 Ch x 200 W @ 4 ohm,1 Ch x 500 W @ 4 ohm, 2 Ch x 250 W @ 2 ohm

As for the Subs.. Im so confused between SONY 12' P5 series or Kenwood DB+ series..

Please Help me out... I am not limited to only these products. But I am limited this price range. Any opinions will help me greatly!!!!

Silver Member
Username: Decde

Canada

Post Number: 157
If u really wan't something good, do not get them sony's. If u wan't a good combo of amp/sub, check out : jbl(very nice subs and amp, affordable), Rockford Fosgate (same thing here), Pioneer (i don't know why ppl don't buy this stuff, pioneer is a very good mark, the only thing is you get better sound, not amazing, but u can't go wrong with it), Cerwin vega ( the make GREAT all around subs.). Hope i helped out

Silver Member
Username: Decde

Canada

Post Number: 158
btw, they are all very affordeable, only the Fosgate is a little pricy, but worth every penny. There is one basic rule in car audio, i get what u pay for. I'm not telling u to get a 5000$ car audio system, but check it out :-) U won't wan't to change ur speakers or subs in 3 years, i'm sure :-)

Username: Rbmrme

Lakeland, Florida United states

Post Number: 2
do you have to use both voice coils of a dvc sub?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4989
yes, you absolutely do.
wire the pair of coils in series or parallel.
never ever use only one coil, or apply a different amount of power to each coil.

South Afica

Post Number: 5
Thanks Jeffery

I've been to searching extensively for some good reviews and opinions on SONY amps/subs....didn't find any Yet!!!

I have been to a car audio installation shop, they advised against Sony.. They tell me " well its an ok product, but don't expect too much, these guys sound like they know there stuff, they fit tons of sound systems in our local taxis.. oh I live in S. Africa by the way.. sound systems in taxis where SPL is a major Advertisment and very BIG' and average taxi pushes about 154db..
These guys tell me that Pioneer, MTX, Coustic Subs are excellent...
But they also tell me that SOLID AUDIO Amps are die hard amps, that last forever.. I dont know what to believe!!!
ADVISE

Username: Igotpenguinz

Clarkston, Mi

Post Number: 4
that's crazy you live in Africa. I've been learning about the Dinka tribe. I just ordered a didgeridoo off ebay. Anyways. I have 12 in. kicker solo-barics. They hit hard just i haven't got it hitting as hard as it possibly can. They are DVC and they're pretty nice.

South Afica

Post Number: 7
Are Kicker 12' Comps any good?

Bronze Member
Username: Businessboy

Post Number: 11
um this might sounds silly, what do people mean wire em up in pararell etc. and wiring the pair of coils,

someone mentioned that i should be careful not to single wire my kicker solo baric when i get it next week. single wire?? i'm not fitting it but i just one + and one - from amp to the sub, - that not good for the 15" kicker?

Silver Member
Username: Deathshadow

Post Number: 103
Parallel wiring can be a few different wiring layouts depending on the application/or circuit design but it solely means when current is allowed to flow through one component with out first having to flow through another. When current must first flow through one or more components before another that is what's known as a series circuit design. Impedance and other factors come into play but those are the base rules in classification of circuit types. Circuits are either Basic, Series, Parallel, or more commonly in advanced circuits a mix of all. When applying this to speakers these wiring formats are used to achieve a certain load to get the most out of your amplifier possible (1,2,4,8 ohm load etc...). When they are applied with circuit boards (computers and other electronic devices) these circuit designs are coupled with resistors, oscillators, capacitors, and other components to accomplish a goal/work load, whether it be a simple triple 5 IC chip for displaying time or as advanced as processing binary encoding on 32 and now even 64 bit bus architecture its just all the basis of electronics.

Damien R
Unregistered guest
If you only have one channel on your amp that is perfect (assuming class D mono) for subwoofers, you only need one channel for your sub(s). You simply series or parallel the DVC coils, wire the two subs together according to the impedance you wish, and then to the amp. Sorry for the lack of specifics but I dont know your sub/amp stats.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us