Please help me upgrade my stereo system

Username: Mikeminyi

Post Number: 2
Hi,
I just bought a new 96 Honda Civic car(2 door) for college. I want to replacing the stock stereo/sound system. I have read through this forum and learned a lot about car audio. Based on a lot of the recommendations I saw, I just bought an ECLIPSE CD3414 MP3/CD HU for $155 on ebay.

Now I am wondering what should I do for the rest of the sound system. Like what kind of front speakers (5.25") should I get and also if I need an amp and sub, and what kind. I have a budget of $100-200 to spend, so I really want your help. I love quality music and I am not really into loudness.

Thank you so much for your time and response!!
Mike

Username: Xxkmfdmxx

Post Number: 6
PIONEER TS-G1340R are pretty good 5.25 speakers, Cheap on eBay too.

Post Number: 3
Thank You, xxmdfmkxx:
Thank you very much for your reply. I have done more research now, and it seems that my Civic will fit in both (5.25" and 6.5") front speaker. Also people on this forum has recommended for front speaker:
---Infinity Reference 6002i
---PIONEER TS-G1340R
---CLIF DESIGNS PX6.2
---Eclipse se8262

So that's my research so far. I was wondering if there are any other great front speakers for me to look into. I will probably need an amp to drive my future front speakers too. I don't have a clue on the amps. I was also wondering if I get an subwoofer, can I just use one Amp to drive the front speakers and the sub?

Thank you again for your help,
Mike

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2429
I'd recommend a component system with your budget. Saying you're about to go to college, I'd guess you're wanting a system that will run off a head unit well since you probably don't have unlimited cash flowing around to get an amp to power them. The Infinity Reference 5.25" series is great for the price, Infinity Kappas are better and will run you under $200, but they tend to need more power (much better sounding component system, though), so an future amp addition is a consideration.

Post Number: 4
Thank you, Jonathan:
After spend sometime here at the forum, I have noticed that you are very knowledgeable in this area, so I was wondering if you view the setup another person help me with.

"""" I like to see people getting into the hobby, consider yourself lucky that you joined the more SQ oriented forum or else youd have to learn the hard way like i did, a step ahead of the game u are. I would forget about rear fill completely which would save u money and time as it is completely unecessary for optimal SQ. Dont go the infinity route, take my word for it. Since you plan on adding an amp later lets find you a 6.5" component set that is a bit more efficient.

This is not a bad set by any means:
http://www.cardomain.com/item/PHOR60COMP
plus you get a good warranty and service through SD, and for your amp try the clarion, it is reccomended many many times on these forums because plain and simple you cant beat the quality or power output for the price:

http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/135

That will get you started and stay right at your 200 dollar budget, I am positive youll like this setup, the amp is good enough to build upon as are the speakers. another 200-250 will get you another amp and some subs so come back and let us know if u need anymore help. GOOD LUCK!""""""

I want to run through you first before I slide my creditcards.

Thank you again for your help,
Mike

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2441
I'd like to see what he bases the "don't go the Infinity route" upon. Personal preference is all he can base it on, Infinity components are very well built and sound excellent. Most people that give bad reviews of components are those that don't put effort into installing them correctly. I'm personally not a fan of Phoenix Golds stuff as it tends to be shaky for reliability and build quality, especially the lower end Octane series. SQ for me just wasn't there either. It's not a bad set, but it's not a great one either. Read reviews of the Kappas, they are very well liked. It's all subjective and you should choose based on your opinion, personally I'd get Infinity Kappas and a JBL P180.2 in your situation, even if I had to save a bit more cash for it.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2442
If you want to eventually add a sub, you may want to save up a little on money and invest in a good 100x4 4 channel amp, that way you can put the rear channel on the subwoofer, it's cheaper in the long run and also saves you space and wiring costs since you'd only have one amp.

Post Number: 5
I just want to thank everyone for their help.

I researched around more and I will get a pair of CADENCE ZXN-6K wiht 75rms/each, 4ohm.

I am still wondering IF I need to drive the Cadence with a subwoofer, which Amp should I get?

The Amps I am looking at now are:
1. Eclipse
2. JBL
3. CADENCE
4. CLARION

Now because of my budget I can only get the 50(rms)x4 for my Cadence and my future sub. Is this enough or should I spend more to get 100x4 amps?

Thank you again for all your help, especially Jonathan, I am VERY grateful!

Mike

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 141
Glad to see you took johns advice on the Phoenix Gold. I am not a fan of their stuff either. As for the amps I perfer eclipse, over the others.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2458
Cadence makes excellent equipment for the price. As for amps, the Eclipse are the best built ones on your list, using the best materials such as dual toroidal transformers for the power supply, oversized capacitors, they have a large dynamic range and excellent sound quality. JBL and Cadence would be about the same on a quality standpoint, and those would be second on my list. A good 50x4 amplifier would typically give 200W RMS to a subwoofer on the rear channel(4 ohm bridge) which may or may not be enough, it depends on your tastes. Another option is to get a 75x2 amp now, and wait until later to get the subwoofer and it's amplifier later, that way you won't be rushed to get cheaper stuff and you'll have more time to plan ahead and weigh out your options.

Post Number: 6
I just got myself a pair of CADENCE ZXN-6K component speakers for $61.00 shipped on Ebay. I am so stoked right now. Now, I have a HU and a pair of Speaker, all I need now is an Amp and a subwoofer. Two down, two more to go.

1. What do you guys suggest for Amps? I got outbid at the last second on the Eclipse Amp I was looking at :-(

2. I am looking at subwoofers in my local pawn shops, the minimum watts they have are the 400 watts. My future amp will be about 85x4 rms. I am afraid the amp can't handle that much or the sound quality won't be good. Should I get a low-wattage sub, like a 200 watts one?

Thank you so much for all of your help, otherwise I wouldn't be able to put together an excellent system in just 1 week.

Warm regards,

Mike

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2478
How much do you have left to spend?

Post Number: 7
Hi, Jonathan:
I am thinking around $180 or less for the Amp and Sub(w/ box). I am trying to get another Eclipse Amp, but that is only 50W rms.
1. Is this enough for my 75rms speaker components?
2. Someone also suggested an Viper Amp, which brand should I go for to drive my component speaker and future sub with my budget?
3. What kind of a sub should I get if I just want SQ?

Thank you very much for your time,
Mike

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2484
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=79823%26item%3D5727430759 %26%26
Try bidding on that amp. Power rating of 70 watts x 2 at 4 ohms(14.4V, and it's underrated) on the front channel, then has a Class D subwoofer channel built in that does 400+ watts RMS on a 2 ohm load. Very solid amplifier. If you get that amp, you can plan a subwoofer after that, just depends on how much you have left and if you can get the amp.

Post Number: 8
Hello, again:

I just bought an ECLIPSE 32440 CAR AMP (80x4)rms on Ebay for $117.50+S/H. All I need now is a Sub. What kind of sub do you guys recommend for SQ wise? I was thinking of buying a sub without the box on Ebay, then just get a box at the local pawn shop. I am looking to spend about $80 or less on the sub.

Thank you all for your help,
You guys are wonderful!!

Mike

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2494
Honestly, I'd recommend saving your money and spending the $125 (shipped and with warranty) for an Adire Audio Shiva, and bridge the rear channel of the amp for that sub. Great sound quality, SPL, and cheap. Hard to beat for it's price range. Depends on what you can get on Ebay as well. That amp will put out a little above 300W RMS on a bridged load, so any sub in that range will work well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us