Subwoofer Comparison

Anony
Unregistered guest
Hi I'm deciding on buying a subwoofer and I seem to have it narrowed down to either an Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1D VQ or a Rockford Fosgate T110D4 Power Stage 1 subwoofer. I have little to no experience with purchasing a subwoofer so I would like to know what anyone else thinks. I am aiming more for sound quality than anything else. Any amount of loudness is plenty for me, I just want something accurate. Also, if there's a sub that fits the 200$-300$ price range that may fit me better let me know.
Thanks a lot!

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 937
the perfect is nice but if you want even better sound quality with spl too go with an idmax made by image dynamics

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2453
Doubt an ID Max will fit in the 200-300 price range unless you find it on ebay. Image Dynamics IDQ's are a great SQ sub that is a little better than both the Perfects and the RF T1 for SQ IMO, Eclipse Aluminums are very good, Adire Audio Shivas and Kodas are great for SQ as well. In some places you may find a JL Audio W6v2 (depending on size) around $300, depends, it's a great SQ sub. All about your personal preference and goals, but there are many great subs out there to accomodate your budget.

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 940
heres the link just type in idmax in the search this is a 12 inch though should be $300 shipped

http://www.carmedia1.com/

Image Dynamics IDMAX12D Subwoofer $ 279.00

Select Voice Coil Dual 2 Ohm Dual 4 Ohm

V.3 12" SUBWOOFER
1000 WATTS RMS
2000 WATTS MAX POWER
DUAL 2 OR 4 OHM VOICE COIL
SENSITIVITY: 93.6dB
FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 50-100HZ
RECOMMENDED SEALED ENCLOSURE: 0.65 TO 1.3 CU. FT.
RECOMMENDED PORTED ENCLOSURE: 1.5 TO 2.0 CU. FT.
SELECT DUAL 2 OR DUAL 4 OHM VOICE COIL

IDMAX12D
Weight: 35.00 lbs

Unregistered guest
I think I'm gonna hurl. I don't wanna even say what I paid for mine other than it was more than $300 and that was before shipping. Ugh. Here's hoping the ones that they're selling are old and used. If they're new just lie to me Gawd Darn it.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2460
Cool, that'll work great and sound fantastic.

Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 1
Is there anything I need to know about building a sealed box for one of those? If you guys think these are really great subs than I'll definately put the money aside for it. I've read a few articles on putting together a box. The wood work and math is easy for a sealed, plus I don't have a ton of room to work with so that's what I'll be making. Are there any tips you guys can give me on building one? Thanks a lot for all everyone's help so far.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2471
Just build it as good as you can get it, and if you can brace it, do so. The more bracing, the better. Try to make the back or front(either one) angled that way the box isn't perfectly square. If the walls are parallel (square) standing waves can occur and degrade SQ. Use a lot of caulking and seal it up very nice, and seal well around the terminal cups. Use at least 3/4" MDF.

Silver Member
Username: Audiobahn_man

Freakmont, MI

Post Number: 223
So if it is alsnted would there be more Spl? Or would it not make much of a differnce?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2480
SPL won't change, what will change is sound quality, standing waves will be reduced, resulting in less resonance.

New Jersey US

Post Number: 2
Thanks a ton for everyone's help! I highly appreciate it!

New Jersey US

Post Number: 3
One last question, what would you recommend as a quality amp for an IDMAX 12"? I also noticed that the frequency response on those subs is only 50-100 hz. That's no where near a range as some of the other subs have. Is that OK? Thanks again.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2487
You read it wrong, frequency range is 10-150hz. The 10" are listed for 20-250 hz. Both get very low. How much do you have to spend on the amp?

New Jersey US

Post Number: 4
I'll spend whatever I need to to get something good. Probably 400-500 tops I would imagine but if I need to spend more I will.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2491
dual 4 ohm ID Max an an MTX 801D would work very well together.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2493
If you want the best SQ, you'll need to consider getting a dual 2 ohm ID Max and a 2 channel A/B amp such as the Kicker 800.2(or newer 850.2) and use that on the sub.

New Jersey US

Post Number: 5
What would be between a normal monoblock class D subwoofer amp and a 2 channel A/B amp? And what's the quality comparison between an MTX and a Kicker amp?

New Jersey US

Post Number: 6
Also, I'm running this in a small truck cab. I read that (on the carmedia1.com site) the recommended cubic feet for one is 0.65 to 1.3. What would the difference from 0.65 to 1.3 be sound wise? And what should I probably go for?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5069
amplifier classes:
http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/amplifiers.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us