Is this combo good?

Username: Fish

Post Number: 1
hey everyone, im new here and new to the car audio world. I have a question about an AUDIOBAHN A8002T Intake 2-Channel Amplifier:
: 2 Ohms Stable Stereo
: 2 x 200 Watts RMS @ 4 Ohms
: 2 x 400 Watts RMS @ 2 Ohms
: 1 x 800 Watts RMS @ 4 Ohms

...and a
Rockford Fosgate T210D4 Power Stage 2 10" sub:
: dual 4-ohm voice coil
: power range 150-800 watts RMS (400 watts per coil)
: peak power handling 1,600 watts.

If i bridge the amp to get 1 x 800 Watts RMS @ 4 Ohms will this be optimal? im not sure which of these diagrams is showing what i am trying to do, and which setup my amp can handle, maybe someone can fill me in.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard/1_4ohmDVC_2ohm.gif

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard/1_4ohmDVC_8ohm.gif

thanks for your time.

Username: Whitebread

Post Number: 8
Well, with 2 4 ohmn VCs, you can wire for 2 or 8 ohmns, naturally 2 would be better cause iwth 8 you'd need a HUGE amp. So, follow the first diagram. The problem is that I don't know if that amp is 2 ohmn mono stable, I can't find any information about it anywhere. I suggest you ask the company before you hook anything up. I'm sure you don't want to blow anything up.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the help. If i bridge the amp like this 1 x 800 Watts RMS @ 4 Ohms, each VC will get 400 watts and 4 ohms or 400 watts and 2 ohms? and im pretty shure the amp is NOT 2ohm mono stable, so what can i do? I already have the amp, but i dont have the sub. I have an mtx 8000 10", 4 ohm SVC, 75-400 watt rms, im runing it on one chanel off my amp (not bridged) at 200 watts and 4 ohms... im looking for an upgrade but i dont want to get a new amp if posible.

Post Number: 10
your problem is that the sub you are looking at CANNOT be wired for 4 ohmns, only 2 or 8. The amp is not 2 ohmn stable (as you said) and running 8 ohmns is just dumb. THe problem with running 2 ohmns is that it could induce more distortion and the amp will be able to pump out more juice than it's rails cna handle. That could lead to melt down or fire. You should look for a sub that has dual 2 ohmn voice coils. I believe Image dynamics CDT and Stryke audio all make dual 2 omhn VC subs. Of these 3 makers, Stryke would be the best bang for the buck if you don't mind using a larger box. Their 15 inch sub has a 23mm Xmaxx, 500 watts RMS (that's very consertive, the CEO of the company said the actual thermal rating is closer to 1000 watts RMS) and costs 200 dollars.

Post Number: 3
thanks,
ok so is this the right diagram?
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard/1_2ohmDVC_4ohm.gif
if i did get a sub that had DVC at 2 ohms, than i would bridge my amp to give 1 x 800 Watts RMS @ 4 Ohms right? another question, would that (1 x 800 Watts RMS @ 4 Ohms) give each VC 400 watts?
the Rockford Fosgate T210D2 is just like the other one but it has 2 Ohm VC's, would that work?. After further consideration, Im not sure that i need anything with this much power, and im getting out of my budget range. Given my amp, what other, less expensive setups could it do, keep in mind i want it to be an improvment over my mtx (SVC at 200 watts). and i had trouble getting info on thta Stryke, and i dont have room for a 15" in my trunk.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Yes, that is the right diagram for a sub with dual 2ohmn voice coils. Yes, you would bridge the amp for 800 watts at 4 ohmns into 1 channel. Since it's wired in series, your not feeding each VC individually, so just double the program power for each VC and there's yout total program power handling. Yes the T210D2 with dual 2 ohmn VCs would work.

As far as budget goes, I think your looking in the wrong place. I did a quick search for the Rockford Fosgate T210D2 and found it for 400 dollars at it's lowest. For that much money you could have a Tumult in your car and be pushing 150+ DB with 1 driver. I HIGHLY suggest you look at Image dynamics IDQ http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/website/products/idq.html , CDT http://www.cdtaudio.com/longexcursionsubs.htm Resonant engineering, Adire audio subs. The value is MUCH better.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
The definitive question here is, what is the largest box you are willing to use in your car?

The Stryke audio AV12 displaces 500 cubic centimeters of air, but needs about a 3 cubic foot box to take full advantage, so I think that's not the right sub for you. Adire is probably gonna be the most expensive of the subs I recomended.

Post Number: 4
Thanks again...
What if i got a Kicker Solo-Baric L5 S10L52
10" Dual 2-ohm Voice Coil Subwoofer:
dual 2-ohm voice coils for wiring flexibility
power range 50-450 watts RMS (225 watts per coil)
peak power handling 900 watts
could i tone my amp down to run this or somthing like it?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
That kicker would work. I donno about SQ, but that's because I've never heard that sub. But, wire the sub for 4 ohmns, and it will work. Just be careful when turning up the volume. THat amp is rated for almost twice the wattage that driver can handle RMS. Once you hit about 400 watts from the amp, the wattage is gonna climb FAST with little increase in volume. So, you could destroy the driver easy.

Post Number: 5
ok, so if i wired my mtx 8000 10", 4 ohm SVC, 75-400 watt rms 800 watt max up to my amp and instead of using only one channel and 200 watts, to be bridged and use the full 800 watts, as long as i dont turn the volume up to high, is that right? and my amp has over heat protection so i should be safe. I dont blast my music anyways, i juts like hip hop, and got sick of the OEM system. Will a DVC sub really be that much of an improvment? if i get a dvc sub will i have any good option other than to run http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard/1_2ohmDVC_4ohm.gif ?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Yes, as long as you are not cranking the volume to the max with huge bass boost, you will be fine.

A DVC sub usually increases thermal capacity and gives you more amp/wireing options, but it won't sound better. There's NOTHING wrong with a SVC sub.

If you get a Dual 2 ohmn voice coil sub you can wire the same way that diagram shows or you can parallel wire and you will be at 1 ohmn. You will need an amp that is 1 ohmn stable though. But, since you already have an amp with enough power 4 ohmn wiring would be fine.

Post Number: 6
Thanks so much for the help! I am going to bridge my amp and if that ads a lot of power, i will can the whole idea of getting a new sub! Thanks!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
You will be fine, shouldn't have problems at all.

Post Number: 7
im thinking of doing a sub upgrade to another svc with about the same rms but a higher peak wattage. i may go for another mtx or an infinity, with 1200-1600 max watt handeling... dose this sound like a good idea, so when i turn the volume up, i dont risk blowing by sub.

Post Number: 8
i can get a Audiobahn AW152T 15" 650 watt rms which is a good step up from my 400 watt rms from my mtx, for 90 bucks ($115 with s&h) on ebay, NEW! i think im gunna do it and sell my mtx! ( i can probaly get $120 for it localy) what do you think, is that enough of an upgrade?

Silver Member
Username: Koz1031

Monticello, In United states

Post Number: 225
NO!!!!!!!!!! Actually going from MTX to audiobahn is a downgrade. There is not a whole llot of us on this forum that like audiobahns. I know I ended up using mine for target practice. It is almost deer season here, and had to make sure the scope was still good to go. Two shots, 2 audiobahns put out of their misery.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Yeah, audiobahn don't make good subs, MTX isn't that great considering the price you pay either. Also, if you antt to play louder for long periods of time, get a sub with a higher RMS, program power refers to maximum power the sub can take during trancients and not for continous play.

Post Number: 9
yea thanks for the tips... oops, that is a 15" anyways, and unless i go free air, i cant really fit it in. can you guys give me links to some nice SVC subs with a max wattage of 1000-1800 and rms over 400. that would be great, and a 10" or 12" would be good.
thanks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Why SVC? if you get a DVC sub with 2 ohmn VCs, you can wire for 4 ohmns and you'll be set. Look at Image Dynamics, CDT, Resonant Engineering, Eclipse, Stryke AV series, and Adire, all will serve you will and all are avaliable with two 2 ohmn voice coils. As far as which exact model, just get the most expenisve one.

Anonymous

http://www.acaraudio.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=52&products_id=1261&o sCsid=a4dea4d522a71aa6f07de0514ccdea37

cerwin vega vmaxs, 4 ohm svc, great subs
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us