Need expert help..!!

Bronze Member
Username: Stoner2oo4

Post Number: 19
Im trying to learn about impedance and Im starting to understand but i need some help..say I have 2 4ohm DVC subs and I want to run the lowest impednace possible but I come out with a 16ohm load each time rather im using parallel or series wiring is this right..??? does each voice coil have a 4ohm impedance or does it mean that each sub has a 4ohm impedance when the manufacturer says 4ohm on the box??? each time i do the equation i use a 4ohm load for each voice coil..is this right???

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2431
Nope, that's not right, you've got the equations mixed up. When you wire in series, you add the impedance of all the voice coils. For parallel, it's a little more complicated. The equation is 1/Rt=1/r1 + 1/r2 + 1/r3....etc. rt is total resistance, r1 is voice coil 1's impedance, etc. Anyway, in your case, it'll be 1/rt = 1/4 + 1/4 + 1/4 + 1/4, so then 1/rt=4/4. You cross-multiply after that, so it'll be 4 = 4rt Anyway, eventually you get a 1 ohm load.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2433
If you're curious, the reason for the equation being like that, when you wire in parallel, you're increasing the amount of paths that current can flow, which decreases resistance because current has more places to go. Similar to if you had two water lines as opposed to one for the same amount of water flowing. The impedance of the voice coils remains the same, but the load presented to the amp is lessened because there are more paths for current flow.

Bronze Member
Username: Stoner2oo4

Post Number: 21
thanx johnathan i got it now im new to car audio as you can see but im learning more and more there is alot more to this stuff than people realize..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us