Thoughts on plate speakers?

Silver Member
Username: Symplestiles

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 213
i have a 91' GMC pickup..front and rear stock speakers are 4x6. i was wondering if upgrading these would be a waste of money of if they could sound decent. i was looking at the Infinity Kappa 462.5cfp http://www.acaraudio.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=18&products_id=287
would these sound better than stock? i know that kick panels would be the way to go, or cut up my truck to fit a nice component set..but if that wasnt an option, would these be alright? everyone please give me opinions and if you have used coaxials similar to these can you provide reviews? thanks alot people

Silver Member
Username: Johnnylemoine

LaPlace, Louisiana United States

Post Number: 172
upgrading them made alot of difference for me.
I have a 94 chevy silverado ext. cab and I replaced the front 4x6's with pioneer 3 ways and they sound great I love them. I dont know if the plates would be better or not, but someone said that the oval shapes distort more. I cant tell, i have almost no bass going to mine. I think you should replace them. But thats my opinion.

Silver Member

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 214
well these arent in an oval shape, they are circular, with a tweater at the end of each. since i dont think ill be able to get a component system (at least not for a long time) will the infinity (or any other brand) 4x6s be better than my stock ones?

Silver Member

Post Number: 173
yes
they will definitely be better, if you have the money I would recommend getting them.

Silver Member

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 215
would my headunit (alpine 9827) power them fine or would i need to get a small amp? i would only be running a front set..im going to disconnect the rear stocks if i upgrade to these

Silver Member

Post Number: 174
most likely, I dont know the watts for the speaker but an amp would make them sound best.

Silver Member

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 216
anyone else have thoughts about how plates would sound? i also looked at some of the MB quart 4" coaxial speakers http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=11018 would these sound better than plates? i know they have no tweater so would i have to buy those seperately? john? fishy? anyone?

Silver Member

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 217
correction: they do have a tweater..sorry about that

Silver Member

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 218
correction: they do have a tweeter...sorry about that. suggestions?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4627
I've used the kappa 4x6 plates. they're very good for their size.
you'll like them I think.

Silver Member

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 219
sorry about the double post up above. what size amp would you recommend for those 4x6's glass? i saw a kicker amp, the kx100.2, would 50watts a piece be sufficiant? i think the 150watt amp is 10 bucks more if 75 watts a piece isnt too much for em to handle.. any other amps that would power those plates without being more costly than the kicker? (110$)

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 548
These are going in the back right?

Ummm... I'm not sure I'd spend much money on improving the rear speaks especially with tweeters involved.

You're actually going to have less cone area with a 4" driver so you may actually have less bass response than your stock 4x6's, maybe not if you get some good plates. A friend of mine had some of those kappa's that Glass was talkin about and they sounded great but you had to cross em over pretty high(200+ Hz)to prevent those 4" drivers from bottoming out. We ended up building a simple 6 dB 2 way passive xover and runnin them in the dash at about 300 Hz with some awesome old school 6 1/2" Fosgate woofers in the doors of his S10. It sounded decent for just a cap and a coil on each side.

Depends on your taste, but for soundstaging purposes I think I'd just recommend a pair of really good long throw 4" mid bass drivers, no tweeter, run highpass mono or even bandpass. I couldn't really recommend anything specific altho I know Peerless used to make some decent stuff. You could even go 8 ohm and bridge em in parallel with a pretty small amp. It would probably cost you a lot less than some really good plates and not screw up your imaging.

-Fishy

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2324
Optimally he'd avoid a 4x6 plate anyway and opt for either a 6.5" component set or 3 ways, but if he's stuck w/ a 4x6 opening 4x6 plates are the best option other than a 4" component system. The dash is a horrible place to mount a midrange and tweeter, especially when firing straight up.

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 549
Sry, just reread the first post again. Didn't know you could get those Kappas that cheap now. Lol, my experience with them was pre-internet. :-)

Those Kappa's would work up front and I guess you could always temporarily "disconnect" the rear tweeters if you used em in the back as well.

-Fishy

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 550
Yeah we had some sloppy upper frequencies in that S10 with all those reflections. They sure were loud as hell up there tho.

-Fishy

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4651
heck I used those plates mostly in smaller cars like Fieros.
anyway 50 wtts is plenty for those little things.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2346
Anyone who may read, don't get me wrong about it, though, the dash can give good results, but it takes a lot of work. Robert Hillgaertner's S10 has custom dash pods and had great results, winning IASCA comps. It just takes careful planning and a lot of experimentation. Pics of the truck are on www.elitecaraudio.com, you have to become a member, but it's worth it.

Silver Member

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 220
i was thinking to just get the plates up front.. and have nothing in the rear. would the 4" component system be a better option for the front dash location? i liked the idea of plates because for one it would be an easier install, and two i thought it would be cheaper than a component system. however i have found that there are many 4" component setups for pretty cheap, what would be a good model to consider? mb quart? infinity? i think 250$ give or take is going to be my limit at the moment..the plates were 100 and the amp was 100 so that fits right in. any and all suggestions would be appreciated. thanks so far guys

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4711
well we were talking prefab plates.
I mean yeah that Fiero I was thinking of actually I used the plate kappas in back, and made plates for boston pro separates in teh dash. worked like a charm with 75w x 4 in the car, and an orion 280GX driving four 8" subs behind the seats..
but most of the car wqas all custom work when I was done.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us