18" SUBS... I need info on these, info is hard to find!!!

Username: Blinn79

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 2
Anyone who has heard or knows some info on 18" subs...

I need to know what these sound like. I mean ANY 18" sub you have heard!! I am currently looking at a 18W3 (JL Audio) to put in my 1996 2 door Honda Civic (it has a trunk). I currently have two 12" Pioneer Premiers. I like to hear the bass outside of my car and the 12's arnt cutting it. Everyone told me that 15's will carry more outside of the vechile. Not many people have info on 18's since hardly anyone runs them. If a 15" sub carries more then what would a 18" sub sound like? Also my trunk is not large enough to fire the sub to the rear so it would have to be either down firing or firing up. I was planing on putting it in a ported box for max SPL. Can anyone think of any reason why it would sound bad firing up or down? What would sound better, up or down? Any info you can give me would be great!! If you know any websites the have any info on 18" sub's sound or pictures of installs that would also be helpful. THANKS!!!

Silver Member
Username: Audiobahn_man

Freakmont, MI

Post Number: 192
I think that anything by Jl will not disappoint you, but i dont know if you will have enough room for such a massive box that it will need to hit full potental

bang
Unregistered guest
if you REALLY want an 18" sub, then get a highend 18".

i mean something like an RE x.x.x. 18" w/ ~1200rwms and a big vented box. that will slam.

the 15" x.x.x.'s will do ~150dB in the right box and vehicle, so the 18's should do even more! by the way, one 12" re x.x.x. would prolly be louder than both of those pioneers, just think what an 18" one would be like, lmmfao!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Slap_johnson

Arizona

Post Number: 76
loudness outside the car? all that has to do with is how well your vehicle is sealed, usually a single 18" has enough to carry outside the vehicle but wouldent you want the most sound you can get inside the vehicle, when you have more sound outside your losing sound inside

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4629
the RE triple X 18" or Eclipse Ti or Ti Pro 18" are going to be fantastic choices if you've got the cash for one.
You'll also need an amplifier capable of giving them enough power to move air well, so plan on a minimum of 1,5-- watts RMS per sub.
then be sure you've got a charging system that can handle that current demand.
also realize you're looking at a box volume around 5cu ft.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2318
Is it really that you like to hear the music outside the vehicle, or you want everyone else that's outside your vehicle to hear it? :-) Nearly any 18" sub is going to require your whole trunk, especially if you want a ported box. Depends on your price range, you can get better 12s or 15s that will hit harder than an 18W3, it's not all about the size of the subwoofer, excursion, motor strength, etc. count too.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4655
an 18 will give ya bone jarring resonance if you go sealed, or vented and tuned to about 28Hz or so. those subs tend to have really low Fs due to all their driver mass.
What you'll lose though, using such a large sub, is any snappiness or response. an 18" sub just isn't "fast."
The closest you'll get to a responsive 18" is probably the Eclipse Ti Pro. It's got an amazingly rigid titanium cone and it's a terrific sub.. It's also very expensive though.

Anyway I've seen a single 18" done in hatchbacks with great results if powered properly.. jsut be aware it won't win anything for SQ.. more targeted for SPL.

ThatGuyYouKnow
Unregistered guest
This is the reason for police pulling people over.
Serously if you want to bother other people, put loud speakers on top of your rice burner.

Subwoofers where made for Audiophiles that want to fell the bass, not to piss people off.

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 3
Well if subwoofers were (not wHere) made for audiophiles, then what was the purpose of 18" subs, because all they do is TRAVEL!!! I go to parking lots with friends (away from residential areas) and show off our systems. Everyone is there to show off either systems or cars. I like DEEP BASS!!! The 12's are not deep enough. It has NOTHING to do with pissing people off. I maybe turn my system more then half way up once a week at the most.

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 4
Ok, got off topic there for a minute, but here is the deal. I dont have unlimited funds here. I have $300 or so to get JUST speakers, but I want it to hit as hard as possible (SPL) for the money. I was just given almost a brand new 300/2 JL Audio amp. It makes 150watts x 2 RMS or 300X1 RMS. So the JL Audio 18W3 is 400 RMS and the tech at JL Audio said the 300/2 amp would push it very well. He said if I cant get a 18" in there to go with a 15". So the subs some of you have mentioned would require ALOT more power then the amp I have. The two 12's I have now, well one of the cone's cracked (its plastic) and I have a guy who is willing to take the two (6 yr old) 12's off my hands for $250. That is too good of a deal to pass up. So I need a replacement sub or subs for no more then $300 for just the speakers. So one 18W3 or even possibley a JBL GT 18" would be around that price and power range... anyone care to comment on what it might sound like?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us