House speakers in a car: whats the consensus?

Username: Former14

Post Number: 1
Hello everyone. I have searched the net over and havent been able to find the answers I've been looking for. So its time to turn to the Audio gurus.

I have an Infinity 12" sub in its factory enclosure (ported) with a built in amplifier. This is clearly meant for home audio. I have never used it in the two or so years I have had it so I thought I might try to put it into use in my car. I have a 220 watt Kicker amp and was considering making an enclosure (same size) to put the sub in my car. Many have come to me saying that this will not work, that home speakers wouldnt work in a car stereo application. Its been over ten years since I have messed with car audio and I remember people throwing this idea around but dont know if I ever saw it happen.

Will this work or do I need to have myself committed?

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 532
Sure it'll work. Any sub will sound different in the car as opposed to a home enviroment, but it'll work. If you make a nearly identical enclosure its not gonna sound "bad", but there's a good chance thats an 8 ohm sub so factor that in when considering what your power output would be. I'd measure its Re with a multimeter to get a good guesstimate.

-Fishy

Username: Former14

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the advice Fishy. I'll pull the old multimeter out of mothballs and check it out. I'm glad this perfectly good sub wont have to go to waste.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us