Instaling Caps.

Helpme
Unregistered guest
I have read and did some research on instaling amps. I can instal my amp and my HU just fine.But imgoing to be adding a cap. to my system can some1 help me with this so i can do it safly and not mess anything up in the proseas. I want to change the wire from my alt to my batery and motor from a 8g to a 1\0g wire im planing on leaveing the exsisting wire but where is the motor ground located on the car. and what size fuse should i use and where in the line from the alt. to the battey should i put it. as of now its a 105 Alt. but i will be geting a 160 Alt soon.thaks for any help.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4807
use 1/0 from alt to batt, and batt to distro block.
then go 4ga from block to amps.

the cap should have directions for wiring it and charging it.

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 126
Don't worry about doing a ground wire to the motor. Just find a good spot on the chasy, and be sure to clean the paint and any dirt off.

Silver Member

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 127
check this link if you have any other questions on doing the ground wires.
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/104018.html

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4823
actually your engine block is bolted to the frame of the car.
that's about as good a ground as you'll get.
The battery you can ground with 1/0ga to the inner fender since that's a good ground point, too.

Silver Member

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 132
True but if you do your ground properly, will it really make that big of a difference. I normally just run my secondary ground wires to the closest piece of structural metal I can easily get to.

Wait a min here. Correct me if I am wrong, but don't most motor mounts use a form of polyurethane to absorb vibration? If so then the polyurethane would work as an insulator, stopping and conduction of electricity between the block and the frame.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4886
much like the little felt or poly rings for screws to hold a mainboard to the PC case, it's just a damper.
the bolt heads themselves are touching the frame directly, on the backside of the K member or motor mounts.
The urethane bushings are on the topside of the mount structure, between the mounts and the motor, and primarily are there to absorb the flexing from torque that would otherwise weaken the metal.
in the case of a PC case, the spacers don't insulate at all, but simply prevent the screws from chewing up the board.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us