Gonna' shoot my car if I can't fix this!!!

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 249
Ok, almost everybody has heard trunk rattle, but I swear nobody has heard an annoying rattle like mine makes. It is the highest loudest rattle/sqreachy sound you have every heard. You can hear it as far as the bass can be heard. I dyna-matted my whole trunk lid, with 2 layers, and it worked a little, but it still rattled. I tore the inside out, and pinpointed a rattle coming from the jack in the spare tire compartment. I took it out, sounded a little better, but still rattled. Finally I ripped my tailights out (had to rip a bunch of dynamat out, which sucked), and IT FINALLY STOPPED. It sounded great, except I had no taillights. Alright, I dynamatted the inside of the light casings, tried to dynamat everyspot that might be rubbing, I tried everything, but when I put them back in, it still rattles like sh1t. I really need some help guys. There's no way I can drive around with my system blaring and have it rattle to beat hang.

Bronze Member
Username: Hifonics

Post Number: 35
ok one way 2 fix it like in the other posts is to put somethin soft behindteh tail light that it doesnt tap against the car. I had the same problem and i think thgat just about everybodi that has a system that can hits hard has the same problem

Silver Member
Username: Decde

Canada

Post Number: 130
Im suprised the dynamat didnt do the job... Better wait for lord Jonathan to answer :P

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 250
Yeah, hopefully he does. I am going crazy with this.

Bronze Member
Username: Followyoursole

Post Number: 25
shoot your car and take pictures. :-)

Kidinred
Unregistered guest
What Orlando said actually is what you need to do. If you have any left over dynamat cut it in thin strips, slice it in half (in the way that would make it 1/2 as thick) go get some gorilla glue and glue it to the edges of your tail lights and put them back on your car. I did this on my Jetta and all the rattling from my 2 RE SE's went away instantly.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2208
You need to determine what part of the light is rattling, it may not just be where it attaches to the body, it could also be where the lens meets the rear casing, etc. Something softer like foam may do a better job than Dynamat in this case. Depends on what kind of taillights you have, how they are assembled I mean.

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 252
Yeah, that's the thing, I think it's rattlign inside thet actual light assembly, as in the inner lens.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4503
the magical answer:
expanding spray foam.
available at any home depot for a few dollars a can.

it reaches places mat doesn't, and it'll apply some pressure against the light casing to prevent the rattles as it expands.
if you get triple expanding foam or similar, be VERY careful.
that stuff does triple its volume, and it'll break things if it has nowhere to expand.
use it very sparingly.

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 254
OHHHH. THANK GOD FOR GLASSWOLF. I never thought of that, but it would work. The only thing is, can it be removed easily? As in if I ever had to take the taillights off, you can just pry it off the foam right? And how should I apply it? Spray it into where the lights mount in and then quickyl splat the lights in? Could I also spray it in-between the two skins of my trunk lid, or would it get too messy? I have dyna-mat on the whole inside of the lid, and I was wondering if I could just punch a hole in the mat over a high spot, and spray the foam inside?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4537
the foam should harden like that formed foam that's sort of orange you see that they form-pack electronics in sometimes.
play with it a bit and get used to it. then apply it.
you'll get a feel for how to use it pretty easily.
it should be removeable if ya ever need to change a bulb

frak
Unregistered guest
yea your best bet would be some quite kote or some v-blok, that stuff did wonders for my car, the quite kote is in a spray can, v blok comes in a bucket that u mix with water and paint on
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us