Polyfill makes a difference/ new sub dilemma

Bronze Member
Username: Followyoursole

Post Number: 15
I have a question about polyfill. Ive heard that the right amount makes the sub think its in a bigger box. I also heard it make the sub hit cleaner. So without polyfill the sub would hit in longer durations? Does poly fill realy increase sound and make sound better? I had a freeby piece of ish 12 iunch sony xplod sub in a sealed box and it had some polyfill in it when i got it. I had it in my car and it hit alright. The xplod had a crack and hole in it but i fied it. I just got a infinity 12 inch dvc reference sub and put it in the sealed box i got free with the sony. It hits almost the same as the sony. I may be crazy but the bass isnt that loud as the piece of ish xplod. the xplod was rated at 200 rms while the new infinity is rated at 300 rms. Why cant i tell the difference between something thats supposed to be a little better? Im thinking its the poly fill cause the box recomendation for the infinity is right. I have the sub in a 1.25 sealed box. maybe its because Im running 1 12 out of my 4 door, 02 volvo s40. And the new sub doesnt seem to be hitting as hard as when i first putit in. Shouldnt it get better as i break it in? Whats going on?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
And do you guys think 2 10 inch JL w0's in a jl power wedge box would be better? I have a cheap a*s 600 watt profile amp "overrated". I can get 2 10 in JL w0's.

Silver Member
Username: Symplestiles

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 209
are you using that profile amp to run your infinity? if so that might be your problem.. w0's are JLs worst sub..take the money you were going to pay for those with, save it, and in a month or two, buy something thats of much better quality. with car audio, you get what you pay.. if you try to take the cheap way out, its going to sound like crap. be patient, it will pay off

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 842
as for the jl zeros i would not go any lower than the 12s from my experience but if you do go with the 12 zeros they are not going to be spl monsters

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Im not gonna pay for the jl w0's. I already own them. I had them in my old car "accord" . But when I gave the car to my bro he took the system with it. So I could take the power wedge box with the 10's anytime. And yes im powering the infinity with the profile amp. Its steadily sounding weaker. I dont know why. Shouldnt it get better as it breaks in? I think I F'ed something up./

Silver Member

Post Number: 847
to be honest the profile amps arent bad power wise compared to other amps of the same cheaper class but they do get hot and that isnt good but as far as the performance for your infinitys and the sonys being louder im really suprised...what type and size box (if they are ported what are they tuned too) are these infinitys in and what series infinity subs are they

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
I have a 12 inch dvc infinity reference sub the "1232 model", 300 rms 1200 peak. Its in a sealed box 1.25. They arent as loud as they should be. Im thinkin its either the box, or i didnt break them in right. Or maybe because i used high level inputs on the amp? Im using stock HU. I have a line output convertor to use rca but I didnt install it. If I do and use rca , will it make a difference? Thanks for all the help so far.

Silver Member

Post Number: 853
oh my goodness using a stock hu will affect things noticably and yes a line out convertor will help the bass output the voltage output on your stock headunit may be very low too which will affect sound output as well if you wish to use the stock headunit and want to boost the voltage you can use a line driver but make sure your amp can accept the voltage

Silver Member

Post Number: 854
actually buddy if you want my honest opinion skip the factory head unit and get a replacement unit i just checke don your amp cuz i remember you now and the darn thing has no low level inputs..i cant believe that...in this day and age common

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
My amp does have low level inputs (rca's). Thanks for the info man. I think imma install that line output convertor. Maybe itll improve things a bit. Eventually I will get a new HU. In a few more weeks to a month. Im not going half a*sed on equipment anymore. Im saving up for a nice eclipse HU, then probably get a new amp and another 12.

Silver Member

Post Number: 855
just so you know the eclipse headunits are overrated on their output voltage its more like a true 4 volts out but id guess most headunits are overrated voltge wise anyway if you get a amp that accepts 8 volts the phoenix gold line drivers are very good

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2201
Depends on which ones you're talking about. An 8V balanced units is equivalent to a 4V unbalanced signal. I've used many and all put out what they claim.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2202
I don't remember them making an 8V balanced unit BTW, just an example.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
So can someone answer my question about polyfill? What are the advantages of having it in the box rather then without any?

Im thinking of scrapping my sealed box and getting a single 12 inch ported box for the sub. Or bandpass, or ported bandpass? Which one will be loudess for my sub? My last questions for a while. I promise..hah

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2204
One pound of polyfill gives the effect of a 10% increase in box volume per cubic foot. It helps absorb resonance inside the enclosure as well. Really, SPL isn't a lot different either way, it'll be a little more w/o the Polyfill more than likely. I'd attribute any issues you're having right now to your amp and the fact that those subs aren't the hardest hitting ones out there. You have the right size box for the sub. I'd recommend ported, it'll be best for SQ/SPL, bandpass would require a subsonic filter to be used and the HPF, and would only cover a very narrow range of frequencies. The ported would give increased output while still maintaining good SQ.

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 452
My amp does have low level inputs (rca's). Thanks for the info man. I think imma install that line output convertor. Maybe itll improve things a bit.

Actually that probabaly won't change a thing and might make things worse. Line Out Converters are transformers used to step down the speaker level voltage to an acceptable level. They can add distortion and noise and reduce your frequency response. Unless that amp has balanced line inputs you're already using a LOC w/o realizing it. Because you can lose low end response using an LOC that may be part of the reason your bass sounds "weak".

In the past I've always avoided LOC's and hi level speaker inputs like the plague and would definitely recommend gettin an aftermarket h/u. Even a "cheap" one will probably sound better than stock.

-Fishy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us