Pleez help!!!!!!

Username: Napalmz

MIDWEST

Post Number: 7
i purchased a new id maxv3 12d2 and was wondering if this box would work..
http://www.cardomain.com/item/OBCGZ121

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2085
Depends on the tuning frequency. Check with them and see what it's tuned at before you jump in, ID Maxes like a low tune, below 30 hz usually if you want to retain great SQ.

MIDWEST

Post Number: 8
thanx man...i was lookin all over for the freq but couldnt find it...any clue?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2091
Most prefabs are pretty high, in the high 30s, possibly even 40s. You'd probably be better off having one custom built or building your own. I'd stick to their recommendations and do at least a 2.5 cu ft net box tuned to 28 hz, if you want even more SQ, I'd do 2.75 net tuned to 25. Smallest box they recommend is a 2 net tuned to 32, which would sound really good as well.

MIDWEST

Post Number: 9
once again thanx for the info..the box is 2.2cu yet i cant find what its tuned to..you say make my own and tune it but umm..lol how the hell do you do that....im new to this $h!t but wanna do it right..

Bronze Member
Username: Stanleyc

Post Number: 30
LOL same question I had. How do you tune and what exactly does it mean. I started a thread in this forum, but I can't seem to find it. =(

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2097
Well, like I said if you're uncomfortable, audio shops will generally build a box for you if you're willing to pay the $$$, and it'll be better than pretty much any prefab.

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 364
If the ports are standard PVC size you might be able to lengthen the port with a piece of PVC with the same o.d. and a coupling. This would give you a lower tuning frequency.

Would probably be less work than building your own box and somewhat cheaper than getting a custom one built.

Depends how much you like tweakin things I guess.

-Fishy

MIDWEST

Post Number: 10
thanx...but if its low freq the speaker wants will it destroy my speaker if the box isnt tuned correctly?

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 369
Nah the only real mechanical problem with ported boxes occurs below the tuning frequencies. At frequencies below and fairly close to this the driver quickly loses the dampening affects of the mass of air moving back and forth in the port which is internally 180 degrees out of phase(moving the other way). These two rapidly begin to move in phase and as result you get some serious cone excursion from that driver, but since externally these two sources are acoustically out of phase you get very little output. That driver is still going like a madman tho which can result in mechanical damage.

This problem is easily solved with what is called a "subsonic" filter which is basically just a highpass filter that shuts off the bass a certain point below the tuning frequency. 1/3 octave below is usually a good starting point if you have an adjustable one.

The only really bad result from tuning too low I can think of is reduced power handling.

If the prospect of changing port lengths seems a little too daunting thats cool. A custom built box like Jonathan recommended will not cost that much more(don't forget shipping) and you have the added advantage of getting a near perfect fit in your vehicle.

Thats probably the route I'd take in your shoes.

-Fishy

Bronze Member

MIDWEST

Post Number: 14
ok heres the freq 38..now with my amp can i use the subsonic filter to give the sub a lil help???and if so what should i set the hz at?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us