Sony or Volfenhag?

Anonymous

I'm on a very tight budget and have 2 12'' Infinity 1230W with 300 RMS each w/ 4 ohm impedance. about 130 is my price range.

Which one would you recommend?

SONY XPLOD XM-D500X 1,100 WATT MONO-BLOCK CAR AMPLIFIER:
RMS Power: 500W x 1 @ 2 ohms
RMS Power: 250W x 1 @ 4 ohms

OR

VOLFENHAG ZX-7180 2 CHANNEL 1600 WATT
320W x 2CH @ 2ohm(640W)
220W x 2CH @ 4ohm(440W)
Bridged Power 640W x 1CH @ 4ohm

Bronze Member
Username: Chevy_for_life

Post Number: 39
They both suck from what i hear buddy....

Bronze Member
Username: Seawolfe

Bismarck, ND USA

Post Number: 18
Volfenhag might be the better choice of the two. I have seen a lot of people putting Volfenhag down here on ecoustics but I have seen just as many praising them on other forums so it's hard to get a clear picture on their amps.

since your subs are 4 ohm SVC it also depends on how you intend to wire them. If you go parallel (creating a 2 ohm system) I would definitely stay away from the Sony amp as I have heard they don't handle heat well. If you go series then I'd say the Volfenhagen would work fine for you. It's been a while since I've worked electronics (old Navy avionics tech here) but I don't think you want to put a lower impendence system on your amp (ie .. if you bridge an amp at 4ohms .. you don't want to put a 2 ohm speaker system on it).

Username: Factor067

Post Number: 4
if the subs are 4 ohm impedence can they run at 2 ohms?

Bronze Member

Bismarck, ND USA

Post Number: 23
no .. but if you wire 2 x 4 ohm subs in parallel you get a 2 ohm system which you can then run at 2 ohms.

if you wire in parallel you add the impedence of each component and divide by the number of components.

if you wire in series you add the impedence of each component.

the end result is the impedence of your system.

you can always wire a higher impedence system to a lower impedence source but not the other way around.

Bronze Member

Bismarck, ND USA

Post Number: 24
Someone correct me if I'm wrong .. as I said before .. it's been a while since I've done electronics. I'm a programmer these days. Not much call for them up here in Bismarck, ND. Maybe I should get back into avionics and see if there is a job at the airport.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us