JBL 600.1

Silver Member
Username: Audiobahn_man

Freakmont, MI

Post Number: 148
I hear everyone talking about JBl 600.1 what is so great about it, i know it is underrated and is a very nice reasonably priced amp....I was just wondering because would that make my V-Maxs hit harder than my sony 1200w?

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 814
steven for the money cost and the possible db increase id say save your money and keep the sony amp

Silver Member

Post Number: 815
by the way want it louder try a temporary baffle inside the box since your box is ported and you might see a 3 db increase from what i read (i say temporary because if it doesnt work then you can remove it or maybe even experiment with angles with the baffle) I want to try this on one of my boxes as well.

Silver Member

Post Number: 816
cheaper alternative than adding that amp by the way prob same results

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2044
I don't know what that Sony puts out RMS truely, but power won't make as much of a difference on SPL as you think unless you're doubling or tripling it. It takes roughly twice the power to make a 3 db increase, same as you could get from sound deadening or porting the boxes (but more expensive). I mean, you'll notice a difference w/ more power, but not as much as say porting the boxes, thoroughly sound deadening, new subs, etc. As far as reliability, the JBL is much better. But, if you plan to upgrade down the road, I'd hold on to what you have for as long as possible and try to save money for as long as you can.

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 332
I think everyone is pushing the 600.1 because its readily available on ebay used and cheap. Its very good quality and because its easy to match with subs impedance-wise(produces the same power into 2 or 1 ohms) it can usually be recommended even with unknown speaker impedances. Its also a discontinued model that used to go for about $500(I think thats what Jonathan said). I see used ones going regulary on ebay for just over 100 bucks.

600 watts of clean power that will probably match well to your subs is kinda hard to beat.

-Fishy

[note] Is that Sony 1200 watts RMS?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2046
"[note] Is that Sony 1200 watts RMS"
I think you should go with your instinct on that one lol. It's probably 400-500W RMS at the lowest impedance.

Silver Member

Post Number: 819
steven you just built that box give the baffle a try what do you have to loose except time two pieces of wood (which you prob have left over in scrap) and a possible spl gain of up to 3 db and jon is right on with my opinions exactly

Silver Member

Freakmont, MI

Post Number: 149
Ok What is a baffle, could you explain it or let me know what it looks like? And the Sony amp is rated at 250w rms x2 at 2 ohms, i have gain at 3/4, bass boost to 10 db, and low pass set at like 110

Silver Member

Freakmont, MI

Post Number: 150
O i also just got done putting 2 pioneer 6x9's in the rear deck and the front doors, they work nice, but yes i know they could be better, i couldnt pass them up for $20 for 2 pair. And I can definentaly tell the easy flow between the high frequencys and the low ones, it sounds much better than the stock P.O.S. i had....Yucky, And another thing, I put so much fiberglass insulation in the back of my car to help the trunk stop rattling...kinda helps....

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 373
I saw some crazy high output enclosure design somewhere which was kinda like half snailshell, half waveguide. Normally the air mass inside a ported box is pretty much static except close to the internal port opening. This thing had Baffles(flat surfaces) which in some kinda crazy way I didn't fully understand managed to direct airflow to the port. This increased the velocity/magnitude of the oscillating airmass contained in that port somehow. Because a port's airmass behaves much like an actual driver this increase in "excursion" results in increased acoustic output aka higher SPL.

Apparently altho this setup is louder the SQ is not quite equal to a normal ported box so there was some argument on whether the thing was worth building or not.

I think what Sean was trying to do was increase your port velocity and output a bit by channeling some airflow to your port with a piece of MFD.

At least thats my take on it anyways.

-Fishy

Silver Member

Freakmont, MI

Post Number: 153
Well my 2 ports are right in between my 12'' V-Max's, they are 4''x10'' ports, how would i go about channeling air.....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us