Need really good setup

Anonymous

for my next vehicle im either going to get a 2000 GMC Yukon or a 2002 Ford Focus SVT Hatch, are hatchbacks a lot louder than suv's? o well iv'e saved up $4,000 (including install, i can make the box) for an audio/video system, im looking for an excellent sql system i can show off to my friends, i want this thing loud but able to maintain it's sq, so if you guys could set me up that would be cool

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 198
With 4,000 bucks, you could do a lot of stuff. As long as you get high end stuff, jbl, re, adire, zapco, us amps, id, digital designs, etc., you really can't screw things up. You need to come up with some things that you think might work and then ask us. We have no idea what you have in mind.

Anonymous

RE, Adire, JL, Eclipse, Zapco, Alpine, Pioneer Premeir, MTX, or Infinty, thats all i know of that i could use, if you guys know more then go ahead and include it in the setup, i really want this thing to slam

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1965
The hatch will probably be louder. A Focus and a Yukon are two totally different vehicles anyway lol. Honestly, the video idea is cool, but I wouldn't invest all my money in things such as headrest monitors, etc. Just stick with a head unit with a flip out screen and you'll be ok. With 4,000, you'll eat a good chunk of your budget going with the video route. I don't recommend surround sound either, too much $$$ for what you get in your case. Remember music is stereo, not trereo or quintupliero. Components are pretty much open in your case, you can get really nice stuff w/ the money you'd have left.

Anonymous

ya, i wasnt going to waste my money on those headrest moniters lol, im just not sure with what to get, because i want to get everything i can w/ my money and nothing less, so i was hopeing you guys could help me on what to go w/, thanks for the input

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1970
Do you absolutely have to have video, or are you just doing it to show off? 4,000 in just audio could be killer, 4,000 w/ video will look nice but audio components will have to be downgraded to fit the budget.

Anonymous

eh, it would be nice but i guess i dont have to have it, maybe in the future i'll get one, so now i have $4000 on a audio system

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1976
I mean if you want it really bad, then I can incorporate it into a recommendation, it, but it's just where your priorities are. Would you rather it sound fantastic, or sound really good and be able to play a DVD? Good video head units aren't cheap and will eat 1000-1500 of your budget, $1500 goes a long way.

Anonymous

no, i will just save up for one later, if i can get a fantastic sounding stereo then i'll do that

Anonymous

also if i get a focus, theres not much room back there so i was thinking of taking out the back seats, do you know of anywhere where i can find backseat delete kits?

theMAN
Unregistered guest
if you want to get a hatch and have enough room in the trunk get a golf, the trunk is ridiculous in those things.

Anonymous

ya but they are extremely ugly, i think i'll stay with the Focus

Anonymous

Bump

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1983
Head unit: Eclipse 8454. Around $600 or less usually.
Speakers: Dynaudio 240 Mk II(may have to do 240 GT or 220 mk II if your door locations aren't big enough, I can't remember) or Focal Utopia 165W, Mount in factory mid door location. Tweeters beside mid. Around $600 online.
Subs: Lots of room for you to work with. I'd go with two 12" Resonant Engineering X.X.X. series(get the quad 2 or dual 1 ohm version, you HAVE to to work with the amp I'm going to recommend), Eclipse Titanium, or Image Dynamics ID Max d4 12" subs. Ported for a little more SPL, sealed for best transient response and SQ. Sealed works well in a hatchback usually, and they'll hit plenty hard(more than enough to impress). Two of either would be around $900.
Amps:
Eclipse 33250 for components. 130W RMS x2 at 4 ohms. Around $275. For subs, an Eclipse DA7232 would be great. Puts out 1000W RMSx2 into 2 ohms. Can be had for $1200.
In the most expensive scenario, it comes up to $3575 as is. Gets expensive quick, doesn't it? Use the rest of the money for wiring and sub box, and sound deadening. I'd say that's an extra $100 for the sub box + materials, and wiring. Say $150 to be safe. If you need to get most of it installed, it depends on the shop you go to whether you'll have enough left over. I don't know how much of this you plan to do yourself, tell me if it runs over, I'll improvise a bit. Go to www.knukonceptz.com for wiring kits and speaker wire. Also, consider adding 1/3 octave equalizers in the future to get a near perfect sound balance.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1984
Of course, you have other options, and choosing the component system especially is your opinion. Subs and amps aren't quite as crucial in the sound quality department, although they're important. You should listen to as much equipment as possible to see what to go with.

Anonymous

sounds good, thanks a lot for all your help, so do you think sealed would be better for my application? because if i do sealed i can keep my backseats, will i notice a lot of difference in SPL, one of my friends said in a sealed enclosure people can hear your stereo coming down the street because it gets deeper, i dont really want to disturb people, or get my stuff stolen for that matter, or is noise outside the car hard to reduce, he also said its going to be really really loud outside the car because its a hatchback and its not sealed as well as other vehicles, i dont want to lose a lot of sound outside the car that i could be having inside, because ive heard a lot of hatchbacks that seem insanely loud outside the car but when you sit in it, it's not as loud as you thought it would be

Anonymous

i cant seam to find where to buy the eclipse HU or the sub amps, could you recommend a website possibly?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1992
Eclipse doesn't authorize online sales. I've never seen them online anywhere, unless you try ebay. It'll be $600 or less in a shop, plus the install usually. I recommend you have the shop install it, you won't get the 3 year warranty (including theft insurance) from Eclipse if they don't install it.

Anonymous

nm, found the amps, the sub amp puts out 2000 RMS X 2 at 2 ohms,so would that be giving each sub 2000 watts?

Bronze Member
Username: Sas

Post Number: 53
you can use an eclipse da7232 a 2 ch, puts out a 1000 watts per channel. i got one from a freind when they first came out for $800, i think you cna get them on ebay for around $900. i am trying to sell mine. i cant afford subs to use them with right now anyways. i would also recomend 15's instead of 12's you will be moving more cone area also. if you go with the suv the 15's, adrie audio has 18's, will sound best. another thing you can add to your car will b airbags. they will make ur ride go to another level. if you like alota bright highs you can look at mb quarts q line, have fun

Silver Member
Username: Erik123456

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 140
car toys sells eclipse stuff and some vendors carry it but i dont think they are authorized

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1993
One thing I forgot to mention. You're going to need a high output alternator for this system. To fit within your budget, ported may be a good option for a couple of reasons. One of those subs ported will get as loud or louder than two sealed ones. Also, it'll require half the power (resulting in MUCH less current draw) and still sound great if you build the box right, plus you'll save a lot of $$$ cause you only need one sub and half the amp. Ported can sound great if you build it right. You'll need a different amp if you go the ported route. Sealed can go deeper than ported, but ported actually has more authority down deep because of cone excursion, efficiency, and rolloff characteristics (ported boxes don't rolloff a lot until you go below tuning, and if that is low, then the sub will go very low and be loud doing it).

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1994
The DA7232 is 1000W RMS x2 at 2 ohms, 2000W is max. Typically puts out more than it's rated for.

Anonymous

What is a crossover good for?

Anonymous

ok im going to go ported tuned to about 30 hz, which line of componants is better? the GT or mk II, so would that amp be powerful enough to power both of those subs ported? or do you think I should just order one of powered 4 sounds Double Shot boxes, I was reading about those and they seem almost perfect for what i'm looking for, an SQ box with good SPL, or would it be better if I still made mine?

Anonymous

just purchased focus and there is a cover over the trunk area, should i or can i take this off and will that make it louder? i can probably only fit 2 12" back there, so i will do that ported and tuned to 30 hz, just curious about this plastic cover thing?

Anonymous

also, should i put the subs face up or towards the rear

Bronze Member
Username: Stanleyc

Post Number: 17
Hey guys... does anyone know how Diamond Audio products compare? Are they considered high quality or just average? How do they stack up against the other companies?

PS I think someone should start a thread that lists the different parts of a sound system divided into 3 categories, High Quality, Average, and Crap. That way people can have a quick reference in which to compare parts. =)

Anonymous

Plz start your own thread.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2057
High quality. Glasswolf has a list. Go here:
http://p079.ezboard.com/fcaraudiotalkfrm27.showMessage?topicID=48.topic

And anon, you may notice a difference with the cover off, probably not a lot, though. Try taking it off and see once you get the subs. The cover will prevent theft to an extent cause they can't see the subs, plus protect from UV rays damaging the cone and surrounds. Like I said above, I forgot to account that you'll need a HO alternator, so you may be better off getting just one sub and a different(less powerful) amp, that way you have much less current draw and not a lot of loss in SPL, that amp requires a LOT of charging power. If you can afford two subs, the amp, and an alternator, by all means, go for it. The powered4sound boxes are great, by the way, and if that's what you want, better off with them making it than you b/c snail shells are very hard to design and info to build them is limited. The amp would power both very well, but remember you'll need an alternator and that I forgot to account for that within your budget constraints. The MK IIs are better IMO, the GTs are just more convenient.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us