ID Max Woes I Post This Because of a Person Who Posted on This Site Had This Very Problem With a Voice Coil on his 12 But think it was version 2

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 782

Member # 7255

posted August 17, 2004 08:38 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Based on my research I have conducted and have persoanlly experienced... I have come to the conclusion that the IDMAX product line might be a DEFECTIVE PRODUCT

After visiting their HELP websight I realized the the Voice Coil Aligmnent problem they have been facing these last few months has not come to a conclusion.(Every Day I read different post's on how or why the voice coils mis-align when played.)

I have never heard of a sub that is pretty expensive begin to have VC problems 6 months after it was purchased...I can understand a broken dustcap cap , but a misaligned voice coil is beyond my understanding.

My theory is this:

A---The Sub does not have sufficient support behind the cone to EQUALIZE the pressure against the back of the cone (Which is directly conected to the VC assembly...the flimsy peice if TIN that is glued to the voice coil is not Designed to keep the voice coil aligned during PEAK exursion's inside a SMALL BOX with over 500 WATTS...thus resulting in the cone's LINEAR MOVEMENT TO BECOME DISTORTED, causing the voice-coil to scrape inside the magnets assembly.

If you compare it to let's say a JL sub you can clearly see the common sense technology that is required to keep this SUB linear during peak excursions over 800 WATTS RMS The support behind the sub has more surface area connected to the cone itself...this results in decreased linear distortion of the CONE AND VOICE COIL ASSEMBLY.(in my opinion anyways)

It's funny how they explain that the problem is due to shipping/receiving practices.

(...as a consumer I was assured by them that..."there is no defect with this line of sub-woofer"

It's too bad because the Sub's looked like they could perform.

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 256
The only way I could envision a misalligned voice coil is if the sub had an assembly problem(misalligned to start with) or something in the suspension or voice coil/cone attachment just plain broke.

-Fishy

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 784
cool just posted for anyone to aware of possible issues

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1995
More of a problem with the v2s than the newer v3s, note that the people he heard the trouble from were those who've had the subs for a little while. They've upped the line since. I haven't had any sort of problem out of my v3, or known people who did.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1997
Just found that post you're talking about. hehe he didn't get too many good replies off of that one.
http://www.carsound.com/cgi-bin/UBB_CGI/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=022867;p=0

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 261
lol, glad this forum ain't like that, errr.... as long as no one mentions Audiobahn that is.

:-)

-Fishy

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2002
I read a lot of posts that the guy made, he's a total idiot, but thinks he knows it all. He even tried to argue with Richard Clark, stupid, stupid move there.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2004
To anyone curious of if this guys theory is actually true, it's not. I could see minor problems with extreme excursion of the ID Max(even the v3), due mainly to the surround design(just the excursion that will push the coil out of the magnetic gap) and the fact that the gap is tight (to maintain good linearity of the driver). The peak roll is more prone to have a little play in it than a typical half roll. That idiot's theory of "pressure equalization" makes no sense. You could use whatever type of voice coil(could be needle thin as long as the motor was strong enough to keep it in place and move it) you wanted as long as it doesn't stick out far enough to hit the motor assembly, the motor is simply an electromagnet, it could care less about voice coil angle as long as nothing rubs or hits. Only way the actual voice coil is misaligned is if it comes unglued. If it's not, your coil is fine. "Pressure equalization" isn't even a part of it. Uneven pressure creates cone flex(if the cone isn't strong), not a non-linear situation. The magnetic gap, motor strength, and suspension are what determine linearity. It's not like the actual coil is going to rock back and forth if it's glued on there. If your sub moves and hits something you've done one of the following: Hit so high of an excursion that you slung the coil out of the magnetic gap (requiring tons of power) and when it returned, it rocked and hit the top plate(happens a lot in SPL comps), voice coil is misaligned due to the cone not being glued all the way, or suspension has failed. No other way to do it.

"If you compare it to let's say a JL sub you can clearly see the common sense technology that is required to keep this SUB linear during peak excursions over 800 WATTS RMS The support behind the sub has more surface area connected to the cone itself...this results in decreased linear distortion of the CONE AND VOICE COIL ASSEMBLY.(in my opinion anyways)"

That idiot is describing the W-cone, not some kind of advanced "pressure equalization device". They use a very thin cone and use a "W" design to brace the cone, it's for strength, it has nothing to do w/ linearity of the sub. All it is is bracing. Any sub with a strong enough cone will perform the same(Eclipse Titaniums come to mind). Like I said above, linearity is dependant on the voice coil position, magnetic gap, suspension, and motor strength. The W cone is just there to make sure the cone is strong enough to withstand excursion from the motor and was designed to reduce moving mass.

What amazes me is how such an idiot can go so far in depth with his little theory.

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 282
Oh, lol. I thought he was just guessin. Didn't know he was one of those armed with just enough knowledge to become dangerous.

I'd rather stay here and help the newbies wire their dvc subs. That way I feel smart.

-OhmMasterFish :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Loudnobnoxious

Post Number: 68
I know one thing, OhioMike on the SD forum hates them to death. He's just had a really bad experience with them though. I'd run an ID MAX in a heartbeat, but not for on a daily driving basis.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2019
Why not on a daily driver basis? I feel it's better suited for that than something like SPL comps. A lot of people are still iffy about the Max b/c of the problems encountered with the v1s, and I can see that, but they've drastically improved since.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us