Crossfire Amp problem...

Username: Tripstar

Post Number: 1
Hey, I'm not even a newbie, just a guy putting my daughter's system together, so guys, don't label me as an idiot just yet.... She has 2 15" Punch subs, hooked up to a Crossfire CFA1000D amp. Loud enough, and barely fits in her Mercury Villager. Anyway, after taking the sytem and moving it into her van, I reconnected everything just like it was before, 12 volt line to the battery, ground to the chassis, pre amp outs to input, and remote wire to the same connection of the receiver. Same wires, same setup. So, when I connected the 12 volt lead to the battery it sparked a bit which I thought was strange but the inline fuse didn't pop. So I go back to the amp to see if it turned on and It was smoking... literaly! I yanked the 12 volt line and took it inside and took off the cover. Some of the terminals along the side had fried. I can't for the life of me figure why it did that, and I don't know if it's still usable. Any thoughts? Hell, I haven't even told her about it yet. She bought it used, and paid a lot...Any suggestion for what would be a good replacement amp would be welcome too. Not looking to win trophies here, just give her back her boom.
Thanks.
By the way, putting an aftermarket stereo in a Villager sucks. They have a factory amp so to connect your regular speakers you need to bypass the amp or as I did, run a Y connection from the pre amp outs and plug these into the factory harness. these to the factory amp. (advised by "Car Tunes" staff)

Post Number: 2
Here's a shot of the damage.

picture of Crossfire meltdown

Post Number: 3
closer examination shows 4 fried semis. I can replace them, but I wonder if the same thing will happen. Now I'm starting to think the bottom of the case must have gotten bumped and caused the mounting leg to contact the semis, shorting them out. But that's just my theory of the moment

Silver Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 989
try this. worth every penny:

http://www.bcae1.com/repairtutorialcdinfo.htm

Post Number: 4
Thanks. I was halway through the repair when I got your post. But it was still decent of you to answer. And I also got an answer from tech support at Crossfire, so they are good guys too. Anyway, Radio Shack, of all places, carries the replacement mosfets for $2 a piece. They went in easier than the old ones came out, but everything is back together and working fine now. Thanks again.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 1017
sure
next time try www.jameco.com as well
cheaper parts house than RS.
far better selection and quality too, and I worked for Tandy so I can tell ya that for certain =P
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us