Amp will not power on, but I get +12v at power source

Unregistered guest
First of all let me say that I have NO clue about sterio's and Amps, and such. A buddy of mine game me some box speakers for my truck, and this 250-amp.

I saw that it required +12-volts so I ran a volt meter and found that my sterio has +12-volts when I touch both the Ground and Ignition wires. So I spliced into the Ignition and Ground for the sterio and ran it to the Amp. I am using 10-Guage wire, and both power runs are about 3-feet.

I heard that you should keep the ground wire as short as possible, and I may try that tonight, but I am getting +12-volts at the amp power connectors. I am not getting any lights on the amp though, aka power light is not coming on.

I hooked the RCA connectors to the sterio and amp up, and still no lights and no sound. I put a volt meter on the RCA connectors while the sterio was on, and I just got a 0-volts reading. I would have figured that I would see some kind of voltage.

Anyways, I am lost and I don't want to pay too much money to get it installed since I am sure I just did something stupid and one of you guys here will probably figure it out in no time.

Thanks for the help

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 236
You need to hook up the remote turn on lead on your amp to the remote on your head unit. Oh and its not a good idea to run your power off the same wire as your h/u. You'd be better off running that 10 guage wire directly to your your battery with a fuse within say 18" or so of the positive terminal. Ground your amp as close as possible to a point on the chassis.

-Fishy

Unregistered guest
I looked at my head unit, and it doesn't have a remote. It does have a Power Antenna, an Ignition, and a Battery hook up.

I will put the +12 to the battery, and make a new ground, but where should I put the remote connection since I dont have one on the head unit?

Thanks for the quick help.

Unregistered guest
Oh, and one more thing, will I need to fuse the remote connection as well?

Silver Member
Username: Joe718

Brooklyn, NY

Post Number: 160
Use the ignition wire that will give you remote power and u dont need to fuse that wire

Bronze Member
Username: Noblemobile

Van Nuys, CA USA

Post Number: 12
Or the power antenna wire will be fine.

Bronze Member
Username: Sas

Post Number: 47
just to be safe he should fuse the wire in case the amp is unsafe

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 241
Use the power antenna wire.

Back in the day not many h/u's had "remote" wires. We always just used the power antenna out when wiring an amp.

-Fishy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us