HELP!!!! I need to pick out a sub that will hit hard...

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 172
I am replacing my old 12" subwoofer, with a new one. I would like to keep my box, which is a 2.28 cf slot ported, tuned to about 36 hz, but I can sell it and get something different if I absolutely have to. I do have to keep my amp though, and this is where I have some questions. It is an MTX 311D, which puts out about 310 watts rms, tested. I need to know, what I sub I should get, preferabbly 12", that would cost no more than $150, and would have the best spl I can get out of 310 rms. I do not care about sq that much, but I obviously don't want an Audiobahn which will get ver loud, but sounds like crap (yes, the audiobahn is what I'm replacing). I have thought of a few subs that might work, please give me some honest opinions, and any other suggestions.

RE SE
Image Dynamics
Memphis (the 300 rms ones I thing)
Alpine Typ R
V-Max
Kicker Comp VR
MTX Thunder 9500

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 173
Any1? I kinda need some advice fast, I am selling my old sub tomorrow and I don't want to drive around very long without a system, I'm kind of a bass adict.

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 176
I am kinda leaning twords the Type-R, but I need some input, come on guys!!!!

Silver Member
Username: Hiphopanonymous

Post Number: 132
All those subs are nice. I have 2 type R's and it does me good. I don't know if 1 would be loud enough though. I haven't tried. Isn't the MTX 9500 out of your price range? that isn't around 150 bucks.

Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2
hey maybe we can help eachother... how much money do you want to spend per sub? ... and how do u make your own thing like this where ppl reply to ur thoughts?

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 177
Yeah, I menat mtx 8000, but I don't really want an 8000, I've heard one and wasn't impressed. I talked to a person that heard 2 Alipin Type r's sealed, and he said it was amazing. I am afraid that I'm not going ot find anything louder than my Audiobahn though, because I really want something better.

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 3
sorry didnt see that u already put u wanted them for 150 or less

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 178
Trevor, I want to spend no more than 150. And to "make your own thing", you go to the main section for a category. For example, you are in the subwoofer's section. Go to the top of the list of threads, and click on the link that says "start new thread"

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 4
thx joe.... i got 20/13 vision n i cant even see that after looking for it for 15 minutes... and as for the subs id go for.... i kno some ppl say they arent durable... but up to a year u can replace them for free (besides shipping) is the solo baric L7's .... yes ud have to get a new box... but u shud anywaay.. different subs require different boxes...but they sound really good and hit hard... my brother had 2 with a rockford fosgate 1001bd... he had the hardest hitting system in my school... and theres some nice systems like 4 JL audio 10s with zapco amps... but of course he wired them to a 1/2 ohm load and they toar apart because he was pushing close to 2000 watts... but when he wired them right they still sounded great and hit hard... altho i see u have a 310 watt rms amp... that isnt enuf being that the L7s rms is 750... iv heard nothing bad about jl audio... and from what ive heard from many many ppl experienced and not that JL subs hit hard with very little watts... the w3v2 is a very good sub with a 300watt RMS... this may be your best bet... on ebay these are for about 150-160... sorry to max you out but JL is quality ... let me kno what u think

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 180
Yeah, I've heard a JL w3, and it wasn't super impressive. I think I'm gonna try the Type-R, unless some1 has ANY other suggestions. And if I don't like it, I'll just sell it and try somethign else. I've always wanted to try a shiva.

Bronze Member
Username: Sas

Post Number: 42
typr r's

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1921
Shiva is good, but really won't work that well with the high tune. You really need to get the low end out of that sub as good as it is for it. Out of all of them, I'd say the V-max would hit the hardest.

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 181
Really? I know people say V-maxes are good, but I wondered if they were as good as people say they are for the price. So Jonathan, do you think the V-Max could beat out my audiobahn in spl? If it can't, could a diff. box help? And are you recommendign the V-max over the Type R? Sorry about all the questions, as you can see, I screwed up the first time I bought a sub, and I want to get it right this time.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us