Id Max 12 are these subs excellent in the sq department

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 673
and are their any better sq subs that might take less power i wanna go extremely low tune

Silver Member

Post Number: 674
forgot the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18803%26item%3D5721795796 %26%26

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1806
Really, the ID Max is very efficient and doesn't necessarily need all that much power to get going. Remember that twice the power is a 3 db increase, so for example if you gave the Max 500W RMS, then you'd lose 3 db compared to if you gave it 1000 (of course this is a general rule). The ID maxes work extremely well in low tuned ported because of their low resonant frequency of 20.2 hz. As far as other SQ subs, that's all subjective, and in this category, IMO there aren't any you're gonna find that'll take a lot less power.

Silver Member

Post Number: 675
how would a 12 inch infinity perfect measure up remember sq is the main focus on this one but just out of curiousity would the spl be any worse with the infinity perfect vs the id max

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1807
Personally, I like the ID Max a lot better for both low end and midbass transition, but that's totally up to you. The Perfect has great SQ, I don't think you'd be disappointed with it. As far as SPL, it's a drastic difference, ID Max by a long shot, even if gave it the same power that you gave the Perfect it'd still hit harder.

Silver Member

Post Number: 676
alright im sold on the idmax i trust your expert opinion and i really want this sub to do very well in the low bass region planning on a 20 hz tune and accuracy in response is what im looking for

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1808
How much power do you plan to give it, just out of curiosity?

Bronze Member
Username: Zacdavis~

Post Number: 63
20hz? do know how low that is?

Bronze Member
Username: Hifonics

Post Number: 21
20hz is as low as it goes for sound ne thing below 20hz u can feel but bareli hear

Silver Member
Username: A3forme

Post Number: 274
Yeah, Jon and I both have 'em :-) I've got more power to them then they need, but these guys are insanely, insanely loud. (Granted I've never heard two X.X.X 12s, only 1). SQ is great and the great midbass transition works well with my 2 way components.
Something to consider Sean, it will let you get away with out having to use a 3 way component set(as jon mentioned wasn't necessary w/ the ID MAx). It's what pushed me to the ID Max over the X.X.X.

Silver Member

Post Number: 677
i plan on giving it 800 rms out of my mtx 81000d jon

Silver Member

Post Number: 678
what amp and power do you have to yours MazdaMan and what amplifier and not that its totally important do you know what kind of spl you hit with it

Silver Member

Post Number: 679
was thinking of doing the sub in an abc box 20 hz first chamber 40 hz second empty chamber from what i undestand that would be the equivelent of an octave higher

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1815
That's more than enough. 800 RMS is too much for a Perfect anyway. 20 hz is very, very low, but if that's what you want by all means go for it. The ID Max resonant frequency is 20 hz for the d4, 20.2 hz for the d2, so you'll have no negative effects of tuning that low. Personally I'd go around 25 hz, most people can't even hear to 20 hz due to little bits of hearing damage over the years. You'll rattle bones with that frequency and the right music though :-).

Silver Member

Post Number: 680
That was my plans i wanted to impress people with my sound quality out of the sub and the spl out of it since we do custom boxes for people and my car is the demo ps...if im right about the 25hz to 50 hz thats and octave higher right?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1817
Yes, an octave is any doubling (numerically) of frequency. 20khz is an octave higher than 10khz, so on and so forth, doesn't matter which frequency you choose.

Silver Member

Post Number: 683
i figured it followed like that just wanted to make sure 25hz to 50hz was an octave....out of curiousity what is your opinion on the abc boxes and my putting the id max in it?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1821
For SQ I think you're better off with a traditional ported. For extreme SQ I'd do aperiodic or sealed (AP optimally). For something different you could try TL, snail shell, or Passive radiator.

Silver Member

Post Number: 687
did you have any experiences with this sub in any of the less traditional boxes (excluding sealed or ported).

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1824
Not with the ID max particularly, I've heard it sealed, ported, AP, and passive radiator, and all sounded great. I've heard ABC boxes with other subs and for SQ, I wasn't impressed, SPL is good though. Snail shells are better for SQ than ABC IMO, but still not as good as traditional ported boxes. Just my opinion. It's just that you said that you wanted to impress people with SQ and SPL. I think if you could build a transmission line or passive radiator, you could impress people easily, TLs have a unique sound to them and sound fantastic if built properly. They are very hard to build correctly, though. You'll also have to build a VERY large box for TL.

Silver Member

Post Number: 691
ok thanks jon decisions decisions i really dont want a huge box i know that

Bronze Member
Username: Skema

Manch, NH US

Post Number: 31
Good luck on your system Sean.

These IDMax's sound damn dank. What price and rms range are we looking at for the lowest line and the next line above it.

I'm lookin at 300rms for one 12" for between 100-200$. Anything fit?

Silver Member

Post Number: 705
heres the site i found nick and thanks

http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/website/products/idq.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 706
jon the id max 12 d 2 v3 for 329.95
and the IDQ12D2 V.2 for 159.95

my question is other than power handling being less on the idq12d2 is the sq any less and does it still cover the midbass area the idmax12d2v3 covers like mazada man mentioned you told him cuz i can sacrifice the spl for saving in cost im mainly focused on sq for this project unless were talking tons less spl (136 db or close is fine for me)

Silver Member

Post Number: 280
"what amp and power do you have to yours MazdaMan and what amplifier and not that its totally important do you know what kind of spl you hit with it"

Sean,

I've got 1000w RMS going to each, but Jon's right, I've had them running on 800w and I noticed no difference.

The IDQ is a good SQ sub, my wife had 1 in her Tahoe on an ARC audio amp. But it does not compare closely w/ the ID Max IMO. The midbass transition isn't there, the SPL is noticibly lower.

Silver Member

Post Number: 712
ok id max 12 it is. The cost is $330 is this the best price i can do on these the shipping is free?

Silver Member

Post Number: 288
No, $310....let me think a minute where...

Silver Member

Post Number: 289
www.carmedia1.com has it for $279, $310 shipped.

Silver Member

Post Number: 718
ok im about to order one of these but which way would be better to go dual 4 ohm and be able to put 1500 rms into in on my mtx 81000d or go dual 2 ohm and be able to put 800 rms to it. I only plan on buying one. Ps...will i still get a factory warranty on this buying from here?

Silver Member
Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 248
i think you have that backwards actually. dual 4 ohm would wire down to 2 ohm load. i believe that amp does 800rms @ 2ohm load. dual 2 ohm sub would wire down to a 1 ohm load. amp = 1500RMS @ 1ohm.

Anonymous

Sean is right,
mtx 8100d, it's 800 at 4 ohm, load, and 1500 at 2 ohm load. You might be thinking of 801d, and MTX does not support 1 ohm load.

Sean,
I would get the duel 4 if you planning just for one, the duel 2 is good for future upgrade. I asked the same question in other thread.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 1854
Not sure about the warranty, but personally I'd do the dual 2 ohm. 1500W RMS is going to be too much, and you'll risk damage to the sub in a normal application if you aren't careful. 800W RMS is plenty and you'll get the best SQ out of the amp with a 4 ohm load. Also, if you ever decide that one isn't enough and you want another one, two dual 2 ohm subs can be wired for a 2 ohm load giving 1500W RMS total, you don't have that flexibility with the dual 4 ohm subs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 297
yep yep
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us