Thoughts on Soundstream Reference 405

Ref405
Unregistered guest
I just bought this 5/3 Channel amp to power my front MB Quart RCE-216 and JL Audio 10-W6 (older version) will this suffice? I am not looking for huge wattage becuase I only want nice clean sound.

The amp allows me to combine the four channels into two so I can use the watts for my front channels. I would use the mono channel for the sub. Since the sub ss a DVC, I thought i could run the amp at lower ohms by wiring the sub in parallel.

Will this work?

Bronze Member
Username: Comet345

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 26
how do those 216's sound ?

Ref405
Unregistered guest
When I demoed them in a friend's car, they sounded great. He them installed in the coaxial method, which is what I plean to do also. I am a long time supporter of Quarts, so I did not expect any less. I plan to install them in my car next week, so I can let you know then how they sound.

Anyone have any feedback on the Ref 405????

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 151
I had a 404s for a while powering my A/D/S 320i's and altho it wasn't quite as punchy as other 50 watt/per amps I'd had(PPI+Class A 100II) it did sound very sweet. Those seperates were pretty power hungry tho.

-Fishy

Ref405
Unregistered guest
As power hungry as Quarts?

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 152
I've got a set of 5 1/4 Q's now and I'd have to say yeah they're real close. The Q's are a helluva lot brighter but I'd have to give a slight edge to the A/D/S in the midbass dept. But both of these are probably "pigs" compared to what you have especially since its a 6 1/2. They should sound great bridged @ 100 watts a side.

As far as bass goes you're not gonna have gobs of power available. The subwoofer channel on the 405s is gonna give you a bit over 130 watts @ 12 volts into a 3 ohm load(W6 coils in parallel). According to specs, the older 405 will give you a little more but its rated at 14 volts so they may be pretty much the same amp.

You're probably not gonna annoy the neighbors much but you should get that "nice clean sound" you'r looking for.

And if you ever want to upgrade your bass later with a more powerful amp you can use that mono channel for rear fill.

-Fishy

Ref405
Unregistered guest
Thanks for your input Fishy. I was wondering where you got the "They should sound great bridged @ 100 watts a side" spec? I was thinking it was going to be about 80 rms. The extra 20 would be nice.

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 160
Yeah it probably would be 80. Soundstream usually rates its power at lower impedance at 14 volts.

The manual specs for the 405 doesn't rate the output into 2 ohms.

http://www.soundstream.com/sub/owner_manual/r405.pdf

but the 405s seems to be rated at 100x2(50x4) at 2 ohms.

http://www.soundstream.com/sub/owner_manual/r405s.pdf

It doesn't explicitly say "@ 12 volts" so that could be a 14 volt rating. Your actual power may just depend on how good your alternator is doing, 80 watts sounds good.

lol, which do you have anyways, the 405 or the 405s?

-Fishy

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 165
With "2 ohms" I mean bridged into 4 which is basically the same thing.

-Fishy

Ref405
Unregistered guest
It's the plain ol' 405. I bought this used because I recall it was a really nice sounding amp and worth more than the $110 I paid for it. I used to own some expensive PPI art series and then sold them to help pay for Grad school. Now that I have finished I want to upgrade the stock system I have in my present car with better sound but want to avoid the booming factor.

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 178
I think you'll like it. I've owned a number of the MOS series PPI and I think the Soundstreams of that era were a lot warmer sounding just not quite as "ballsy". Can I say that here?

-Fishy :P

Ref405
Unregistered guest
Fishy -- Warm sound: that's all I want! Thanks so much for your input.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us