CompVR or Solobaric?

Steven Harvey
Unregistered guest
Which should I choose: 2 CompVR 18" ported or sealed or 2 S12l7 ported box? Im not sure if CompVR's ported would fit in my car but the trunk is huge so maybe so, if not it will be in sealed if thats the winning opinion in here. Im looking for mostly SPL but i want it to sound somewhat decent. These are my only choices so anoy other subwoofer opinions wont help, Thank you

Bronze Member
Username: Zacdavis~

Post Number: 14
18's

Steven Harvey
Unregistered guest
18's sealed or ported will hit better then solos? or any box wouldnt matter? Kind of surprising though because i have been getting alot of mixed reviews sayin solos will pound harder ported on other forums...i dunno what to do...please more opinions, thanks eveyrone

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
a ported box for those would huge, i'd say sealed as long as you've got a big enough amp, sealed box's need more power than ported. i've had two sets of 18's and both were in sealed.

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 351
i personally have 2 12" L5's, i find that they kick very hard when they want to, i'm running them at 400watts a peive in a 2cuFT per chamber box with each port tunes to 35htz. It does move alot of air and can give you some feeling in your chest on alot of notes. They arent a bad sub as much as people say they have uneven stress point, i ran a single L5 rated 600rms at 800rms for a good 3 onths pretty hard, the sub still poinds away in my friends car (new home) without any problems at 650rms...Its all in the box...

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 601
sweet jeff x x x 12 here we come

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
18's will be louder and deeper and even have better sq than those square plastic thudders

Anonymous

I would go with the l7's because I have heard them in ported and they do bang like a biznattch. oh and jeff, i have realised alot of people on this forum dislike the solos, which i dont understand but it seems this forum is bias because on other forums people praise these subs...i guess its a love/hate sub

NegroFundamentality
Unregistered guest
Dawg, I got 2 kicker solobarics in a big ol ported box in my box chevy and my subs hit the spot more than cousin sub sandwiches so i mean honestly people need to stop knockin them. I would go get them solos either 12 or 15, i got the 12's and mine hit harder than my neighbors 2 18's sealed, which are also CompVRs, which is the reason I had to say sumpthin in this thread. Go with the Solo's, the SPL is great and the SQ is aight, but seing u want mostly SPL then theres no question.

Bronze Member
Username: Mike_anthes

Canton, SD USA

Post Number: 26
the reason a lot of people don't like solos on this site. the square design. the square design has really bad stress points. My friend was only runnin bout 600 watts to one of his 15L7 and his amp tore it to pieces. honestly the square design is dumb. you will be much happpier with a circle sub in the long run. (solos don't last long at all.) sure the solos have a lot of spl but if i were you i would save the time and the money, and not get the solo's. get the 2 18"s and you will be very satisfied.

NegroFundamentality
Unregistered guest
Sorry about your friends incident, but ive been pounding out my solos for a good 2 years now man, I was going to get the new 2004 edition but why do that when mine are still hittin like champs? im runnin a 1200.1 on them too let ya know, and i mean the point is they dont break all the time juz becuz a few people had a incident with them

Anonymous

I have to agree with negro on this one. Im not at all saying the solobarics are the best, but they still give a good run for the money in being one of the best. I am starting to get sick of alot of us members on this site telling all the newbies that the solobarics suck, break, etc...and having these newbies running around spreading the news to people who want real answers. Well the real answer is that the solobarics are decent subs with great SPL and if in the right box can also have great SQ. The square design I will admit has downsides of the subwoofer having technical difficulties for some people but overall its not like its breaking all the time and everyone knows this. If you abuse any subwoofer they will blow and if you treat a subwoofer with care it will last, plain and simple. But the sad thing is that if I came in this chatroom saying my Adire Audio Brahma, which by the way is a great subwoofer, had blew and I started bad mouthing it, people would tell me im a nutcase. Its vice versa people, dont badmouth a good subwoofer just because of the same reasons why other subwoofers get screwed up. and yes, I posted anonymous so people on the site wouldn't rip me to shreds but it had to be said sometime or another. The Solobarics are not bad subwoofers and wont break unless you mistreat them. Period!

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1719
You have to remember that the majority of buyers of L7s are kids looking for bump, the type who turn the gain all the way up, loudness on the head unit on, bass boost up, then crank the volume to max and wonder why their voice coil went up in smoke. The SPL inclined are GOING to blow more subs than a casual SQ user, period, SPL guys intentionally(or just ignorantly) push amps into clipping solely because it gets more SPL. That being said though, I'm not a fan of the Solos, more SPL can be had by round subs, the Solos are limited in their excursion because of the square design, the stress points can have cone flex, added distortion, more mass(b/c of more bracing needed to combat uneven stress points) altogether degraded SQ. Also suffer from lead slap and surround separation in more rare cases. Motor design isn't anything to scream about. Kicker's original round solobarics were much better, I wish they still had an upper class round sub offering. Typically, a SPL designed high excursion round sub will net more SPL than an L7, basically because what the round sub lacks in surface area compared to the L7, it more than makes up for it with excursion. The reason L7's are so touted for SPL, IMO, is because naturally, a bigger sub (surface area) will be louder than a smaller one at lower volumes, and in lower power situations, until the excursion of the round sub makes up for the surface area loss it has compared to the L7. Plus, it's more difficult to get excursion than it is to get surface area, most people don't get near the full SPL potential of their subs.

Anonymous

dude john...i know u like to get all technicaly and sh!t, but all i got to say is my solobarics thump and all your knowledge is nice and all but i mean honestly, the solos can hit pretty hard and they bang louder than most subs man so i mean you may be right in a statistical way but when it comes down to it the solos bang...stop hatin on em man!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
i think he is just saying that the round subs are better than square, for a # of reasons, i agree with both of you. nice right write-ups guys, very good points from both of ya.

Silver Member
Username: Symplestiles

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 164
i dont think he ever said the solos wouldnt hit, he just said they wouldnt hit for long. the stress points from the square design can cause damage to the sub initially making it not last as long as a round one. no questioning how loud it can get, just that it might not sound that great when its given those 2000+ watts that most people do.

Anonymous

I will admit that it seems alot of people kind of torture the solobarics not realizing that they arent these holy subs that wont blow when u give it too much power. I know a few guys who have blown these things and all of them were newbises to car audio, and they thought just because these things were so hyped up and everyone saying they were so great that they could just overpower them all day long. Well of course, just like any other subwoofer, the things gonna blow if you mistreat it. I have pretty much concluded that it seems the reason solobarics blow is because people just get "bass happy" and want to go nuts with them, but if u treat them like the way you should treat any normal sub, they will pound and also sound great and by my personal opinion, I believe they sound better then more than half of the round subs out there, but I wont say there better than round subs, but also I cant say round subs are better than the solos. For whoever started this thread, I say go with the solobarics and you will be very happy. If your having doubts from some people on this forum, please only listen to the people who know what they are talking about, I know there are a few on here that know there stuff, but alot of people on here are newbies who just repeat what someone told them, you cant listen to these people for they want to sound smart but probably just found out what a subwoofer was today when watching p!mp my ride or something. Also if someone says their solos blew, ask them questions like did you overpower them, bad install, stock alt. etc...and if they say their solobarics sounded awful, ask them was it a cheap premade ported box or was it a sealed box you used as a garbage can, or hell, did you use a damn legacy 3000 watt amp or a soundstorm 2000 watt (Reminds me of this one kid...soundstorm amp on 2 SPL subs, kid thought he was a bass god until he heard my ride start knockin)? these people messed up their installs by their ownselves, the subs didnt do anything but get wasted by an idiot. So only listen to people who know about car audio and especially your product.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1734
I never said they wouldn't hit hard, nor did I say they would crap out on you in a week(IF treated properly), I'm just saying that they're not the ultimate SPL sub. I was also commenting on the fact that I think the a lot of the problems experienced with these subs can be linked to the typical user of them. They are also more subject to failure than an equivalently built round sub, just because a square design, architecturally, isn't optimum for a subwoofer, the stress should be evenly distributed, but with any non-round cone you'll have stress points. Surround design is also an issue as the corners of the sub have to be designed differently and the surround isn't the same size all the way around. Linearity is more of an issue with these subs.

Anonymous

I see what you mean Jonathan. But for Steven, if you havent bought subs yet, I say go with the solobarics and be another happy customer.

NegroFundamentality
Unregistered guest
I see what you mean Jonathan. But for Steven, if you havent bought subs yet, I say go with the solobarics and be another happy customer.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us