How do I hook up an amp in my house?

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 164
Ok, I know amps run off of 12 - 14 volts, and your plugs in your house are 120 or something. So what does a guy use to as a sort of "transformer" to take taht 120 from the wall down to like 12 volts?

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 161
A very good power supply. Figure at least 10 amps per 100 watts rms.

I rigged up my Soundstream class A 50II bridged to my home theater center channel with a small 7.5 amphr 12v gel battery and a battery charger. I guess my lil Soundstream had good noise rejection because it sounded pretty decent. Only problem was I forgot to disconnect the battery charger and it ended up cookin that lil battery.

This method I of course do not recommend especially for larger amps, but a good 40 amp power supply is gonna run ya at least 200 bucks or so.

-Fishy

Juggalo Jeff
Unregistered guest
something funny that happened that my friend told me was back in the day he hooked up a shitty jensen amp straight up to the wall outlet to see what would happen(god knows why you would do that) of course it caught on fire and toasted the amp lol

Juggalo Jeff
Unregistered guest
something funny that happened that my friend told me was back in the day he hooked up a crappy jensen amp straight up to the wall outlet to see what would happen(god knows why you would do that) of course it caught on fire and toasted the amp lol

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 163
yep, that is funny.

I'm all for euthanasia when it comes to certain strains of amplifiers and the electric chair is as good a means as any.

Kevorkian ain't got nothin on that guy.

-Fishy :P
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us