Class D vs A/B Jonathan?

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 117
Well its time to retire my my old PPI pro MOS-2050. It barely even got warm when I first got it about 15 years ago and I've always ran it maxed out, 400 watts, bridged into a 2 ohm load. Now I can fry(or at least poach) eggs on it. Sounds simply fantastic when I first crank up the Explorer, but after about 30 minutes of heavy use its just not as clean and not nearly as punchy nor loud. Guess I've worn her out. I bought a bunch of cheap computer case fans, but that route looks ugly and may not even help.

I've located an Xtant 1001dx which will match my 4180c cosmetic-wise and my 2 10w3d2's power-wise perfectly with 500 watts @ 2ohm. Its also a kilowatt at 1 ohm so I've room to upgrade later.

My question is this: will I be disastified with this amp being class d? Should I be looking at Zapco, Arc Audio or someone else's A/B stuff? or is this amp as good as I've heard people say. I have a one band parametric EQ module I've never used that should plug right in for bass tweakage.

I would really like to have matching amps for a change :P, but SQ comes first.

What do you guys think?

-Fishy

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1728
I think you'd be satisfied with it, but it really depends on you. As you know, optimally for SQ you'd get an A/B over Class D for SQ purposes, but it's all your opinion, you may or may not notice the difference. If you can listen to the amp, you're better off evaluating it yourself, I'd personally prefer Zapco or Arc A/B amps over that Class D Xtant, but that's just me. I don't already know if you have tried this(probably have), but you can try going to a shop and having the amp cleaned, I'm sure if the amp hasn't been cleaned in a while (or ever), after 15 years a LOT of dust can accumulate on the electronics, even if it isn't visible to you it could definately be there. 15 years is a damn good pull from an amp when running it maxxed out for so many years. Bury her in a lot of tissue paper if you decide to replace her :-)

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 124
Yeah, that stuff could be insulating the wrong thing or altering resistances. I dunno, when I bought my 4180c I wanted that 1001dx so bad but could find no way to justify the 1000 dollar price tag plus it would've been a tricky install to get both those amps on the back of the rear seat (they're HUGE) w/o gettin in the way of the little release levers. I think I got it figured out now though. Those amps just look too cool together but look stupid along side a "conventional" amp.

If I do decide to go with Zapco or Arc do I need to go top of the line for a bass application? because they are definitely pricey, or would this work.

http://www.acaraudio.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=27&products_id=1166

Its not exactly the potential power I was lookin for but the 750 is too long.

I like the Arc Audio sizes but I can't find any prices on the net and the nearest dealer is a couple hundred miles away in Tampa.

You know anyone that sells Arc Audio on the Internet besides Ebay?

This: http://www.arcaudio.com/arc/navigation/cxl2500prodp.htm

or

This: http://www.arcaudio.com/arc/navigation/xxk2500prodp.htm

would fit/work perfect 2 channels at 4 ohm.

But will they cost me a mint?

-Fishy

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 125
There was some guy posting here the other day who said he could get Arc Audio at just over cost but for the life of me I can't remember his name.

-Fishy

Silver Member
Username: A3forme

Post Number: 222
It wasn't the AllPro guy was it?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 1736
Yeah, it was Allpro, do a search b/c he posted his email on here not too long ago. Don't know anywhere selling arc on the internet besides the company itself, I believe they will sell online and ship to you, but I'm not sure.

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 128
Alright, thanks Jonathan. I really appreciate all the help and info.

-Fishy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us