No power getting to AMP,aghh please help

Unregistered guest
Hi, I just purchased a car, it has a BOSS BA-800 4ch mosfet bridgeable, 4x200w, 800w MAX, amplifier. The head unit switches on with power, there is absoulutely no sound, I checked the cabeling and rewired the end points, it all seems to be in order, I cannot get the power lights to switch on the amp. What am I doing wrong?? Is there a power switch, I can't find one??, please help, thanks

Username: Metall1cfan

Post Number: 7
BOSS equipment will only work with other BOSS equipment...or so I was told

Unregistered guest
Yes, but why can I not get the power led to light up or the fans to run, I am sure it is a power problem

Bronze Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 56
If you have a multi meter check for voltage at the power lead and at the remote turn on. And you of course have checked the fuse(s) right?

-Fishy

Bronze Member
Username: Allpro

Dacula, Ga United States

Post Number: 33
check the ground. If the amp is not ground properly it will not power.

Unregistered guest
Checked all fuses, Checked all connections, including ground, I have not got a multimeter, so cannot check connectivity & power. I have not checked the remoted lead the whole length, if it is broken, will the amp power up??

Bronze Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 62
Umm.. this may sound stupid, but stick your nose to the amp and take a good wiff. Sometimes when an amp "fries" it leaves a distinctive burnt electronics smell.

Oh and if you have a lil 12v lightbulb and socket you could check power with that or you can pick up an analog multimeter or cheap digital one for 15 or 20 bucks at Radio Shack.

http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG% 5F011%5F008%5F002%5F000&Page=1&find=multimeter(keyword)&hp=search

-Fishy

Unregistered guest
OK, I checked power and it is connected, both active and ground, I connected a mulitmeter to the remote and ground and there was NO continuity. Is this strange? I also smelt the amp, there is no burnt electronics smell. I have run a second remote lead, this has had no effect. Any more suggestions??

Silver Member
Username: Koz1031

Monticello, In United states

Post Number: 123
Run a temp. remote wire from the fuse box. (make sure key is on. This will tell you if it's the remote wire. Amp shouldn't turn on without it. Amp is supposed to be suppling power to what? subs or fill? maybe those are fried. or simply not hooked up. Did you check fuses? Are you sure the h/u even works. Just cause it lights up means nothing. I didn't look up the h/u but is it a radio&cd player. have you tried both, as ant. may be disconnected from back of h/u. if also plays cd's try putting in a cd. did you check rca jacks?

Bronze Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 96
When you say "no continuity" do you mean no voltage when the head unit is on? If thats the case then your remote lead is definitely your problem. I don't know how recommended this is, but try taking a short piece of of wire(fused like koz said would be nice) and MOMENTARILY connect the remote input on your amp directly to the power lead and see if you can get any power lights to come on. If that doesn't work there's a problem with your amp. Whatever you do don't leave it connected that way or your amp will be be on ALL the time and will kill your battery fairly quickly.

If jumping the remote input does work then you need to run your remote lead back to the h/u and make sure you have a good connection there. Measure the voltage at the h/u remote out if you can. It doesn't have to be a full 12v. I think most amps only need 5v+ to fire up.

good luck

-Fishy

Silver Member

Post Number: 136
did you check the inline fuse from the battery connection to the amp?
Are the subs the only thing that is not working?

Unregistered guest
OK, thanks for the help, After checking that the amp works with attaching a small amount of lead from the power, direct to the remote, it fired up. I chased the remote lead back to the H/U. It seems to be incorrectly hooked up. I have now re-wired it and it works sometimes. I thnik I need to re-check my H/U wiring. Also there is now the problem that when the car is idiling slowly, the amp cuts out. Is this meant to happen with a 800W amp? Other than that it is all good :-) thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 139
No it's not meant to happen. Probably underpowering the amp. Check the alternator. You probably need a bigger one with that big of an amp. What type of car you get?

Unregistered guest
Clarion amp instalation. I have 3 imputs on my Clarion amp. Earth, power and REM. If I connect the amp direct to the battery do i need to install a switch to turn the unit off or is there another way.

Silver Member

Post Number: 140
Earth=I imagine Ground
Power= to the battery
rem= remote to the blue wire on the back of the h/u. or to the fuse box.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us