Buying a system for my new car... thoughts please

Username: Comet345

Post Number: 1
Hey everyone. I just bought a Chevy 2002 Silverado ext cab. I was wondering what you guys think about the system that I recently got quoted. I went to sound advice and many other places and found that sound advice was a decent place to get the stuff. First of all, I just want to know if this will be a decent system and if it will hit hard.

MB Quart RLE216 Component speakers
1 JL 300/2 to push the components
3 JL 10 w3v2 in a custom made box under my back seat
1 JL 1000/1 to push the 3 subs
An alpine head unit just so I can play mp3 cds
2 4 gauge wires
2 2-chan RCA cables

Total: 3350. (Down from 3650 after saying he could "help me out").

Installation and wiring and custom box included in total.

First, is this a good deal?
Second, Will this system hit hard? Because I wanted to get JL 12 w7's but they said that wont fit, neither will 10 w7's or w6's ... and they said that They could put 3 JL 10 w3v2's but that would be the most (under the back seat, w/o going crazy and building a new center console and putting two subs in there for a lot more money)...
Three, here (www.orlandointernationalcircus.com/misc)is the vehicle I bought and wanted feedback as to if it will sound good in the cab.

What are your thoughts and will this be a good system.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 344
personally not a fan of JL audio myself, find it to be overpriced, i do like how they underrate there amps though. also...make sure to get a new alternator...or something bad will happen...

Post Number: 3
Also, i found online 2 kicker solo-barics 10 L7's in premade enclosures that could fit under my back seats, but the guys at the place said the kickers distort... how would that compare to this (even though the 3 jl 10's would push more air)... and would i need a new battery/alternator for the previously stated setup ?

Thanks again

Silver Member
Username: Blindc1rca

Post Number: 150
for the subs get the 3 JL setup, you'll be happy with it, just don't get it from that dealer, you can get the subs for like 130 a piece brand new off ebay, and the 100/1 for like 550 new (I personally would save 300 bucks and get the Hifonics Brutus 1000d for 205 off ebay new w/ warranty). So if you got the 3 w3's off ebay and the hifonics amp, youd only be dishing out 600 bucks for all of it.

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 574
i just want to add that the hifonics is over rated power wise from what i saw so it isnt a true 1000 watts rms and yes if you get an amp as powerfull as the jl 1000 you will need an alternator not that im saying stick with the jl 1000 because there may be better choices but ive heard the hifonics also tend to build up some heat

Silver Member
Username: Blindc1rca

Post Number: 151
yea they do but those subs are 300w RMS a piece, so he can get full excursion from 900w.

Silver Member
Username: A3forme

Post Number: 161
Yeah, don't go down from a 1000/1 to a Hifonics. JL makes great stuff, even though overpriced.

Seems your $3350 price is pretty high. Try finding the same components online and then get a quote from them for just the install and the box.

Bronze Member
Username: Slap_johnson

Arizona

Post Number: 40
i dont wanna see u waste your money waste your money so ill help you out
Componants***Focal 165W, JL 300/2(may be overpowering), SUBS*** 4 Resonant Engineering RE 8", AMP*** JL 500/1, HU***Alpine CDA-9833, WIREING*** knokonceptz http://www.knukonceptz.com/wishList.cfm?method=Add&prodID=KOLAK4

Post Number: 4
The thing is, I get a lifetime warranty, lifetime re-installation, and a one year speaker upgrade for this system if I buy it from the Sound Advice dealer. I agree, I could get 2 JL 12's w7's, and 2 JL 1000/1 amps for 2500 online. Much more power, but I cant fit it anywhere (yes, I do want to keep my back seat). The 10 W3v3's would be cheaper too but if I were to buy stuff online, I do NOT get the warranty. The only warranty I would get are through the website(s) I purchase them through and those are only 1 Year and all of the warranty claims are through their discretion. Yes, a lot more cheaper online, but I would be essentially paying little more for lifetime re-installation and installation. I would be willing to pay this extra price increase for this warranty, but along with what you said about the full excursion, would this system hit really well in my cab ? Would I be getting my money's worth?

Bronze Member

Arizona

Post Number: 41
where there getting u is with the warrenty, if u really think about it, are u really going to need a liftime warrenty and why would you want a re-installation? if one of your RE's blows which i doubt will you can get get it reconed for a small price, and what im telling you will save you money, i see what your getting at but to tell you the truth your just paying to much money for all that, if one of your JLs blows you wouldent be getting a real upgraded speaker beacause i dont see JL working on to many new subs so its up to you what you wanna do the RE's would be a killer SQ setup and i think they would get louder also because JLs subs are far to much overatred, the only JL sub i would buy is a W7, but that is also overated and overpriced

Username: Hifonics

Post Number: 10
or get 1 idmax sub if like sq and spl with a hifonics 1500d amp to power it perfect. i have 3 idmaxxs and a 2 8 for mid with the hifonics generation xx 3200 wattrms 2 power them underpowerin but its powerful enough

Silver Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 581
what slap said is good and i agree with his thoughts on the lifetime aspects and stuff but in the end its your decision and your money im sure which ever way you go youll be happy money seems to be the biggest issue

Silver Member
Username: Symplestiles

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 148
alot of websites ARE authorized dealers of certain prodcuts, which means you get the warranty provided by that company, not the website. also, JL is pretty reliable..i dont see how you could blow them or cause damage to the subs with 1000watts (possibly a little more if you go with that JL 1000/1 amp) going into 3 10's meaning that lifetime waranty does you no good if the subs never blow..and the lifetime reinstall isnt worth the extra money, just paying someone to re-do it would be cheaper. your not going to re-install enough times to make up for the lost cash. note: you have to decide if you want more SPL or more SQ. JL gives a great amount of both but there are other subs out there that can lean one way or the other depending on what your looking to get out of them, for a much better price. JL makes awesome products but as everyone else here has said, they are so overpriced they arent really worth it. unless your the type of person who just wants the 'JL name' to share with all your friends, i would suggest looking into cerwin vega, adire audio, and RE audio. Kicker can get really loud, but yes, they do distort due to the square shape of the solo's. if you have the money, go for the JLs and that lifetime warranty because you seem pretty stuck on that, but if you dont (like alot of us on this board) go for something more practicle pricewise.

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 6
great feedback. I mean, I've been to a couple places, and many of them say that a lot of the subwoofers that I would like in there, wouldnt fit. Im not too knowledgeable about what sounds good, or what a good setup is, but I know that if I have 12's, theyll hit the bass harder, but 12's wont fit, and from what Ive heard having 3 tens is not that bad. The only thing is that I want to get my money's worth. The only reason why I am leaning towards the JL setup here is because almost all the people who I know have hard hitting bass systems have JL systems, and for this amount of money I want things done correctly. I dont want to get something online so it "might fit" and sound decent for 500 bucks cheaper. I want to get it professionally done. Some other friends have orion subs, kickers, etc... They sound good too. I want HARD hitting bass but the subs that produce that half a block distance sound require a lot of power and that power requires a lot of space. I was planning on getting 2 12's powered by a memphis 1500w or 2000w amp. I could get the amp for 1500, and 2 JL 12's W7's (or any comparable sub) for 500 bucks a piece max. This would hit like crazy and would be cheaper then what i would be paying for with this quoted setup, but the subs cant fit because -- the depth of the speaker-- and because I want to keep the space in my car. Again, the limitations are keeping me from where I want to be. I do NOT have a problem with buying stuff online, but its the same price to buy online these subs as in the stores, maybe 30-50 bucks cheaper. Does anyone have an idea with what I can do? Look at the space in my car in these pics (www.orlandointernationalcircus.com/misc - about the first 7 pictures) and give me your thoughts. Bottom Line: I want to get the most for my money. And 3000 is about what I want to spend while preserving the space I currently have.

Again, thanks for the discussions...

Bronze Member

Arizona

Post Number: 45
from the way it looks, it looks like you could fit a 12 W7 back there, but just get the mounting depth for a 12W7 and then measure under the seat

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 7
Well, when I went they said the subwoofers would have to face down ( I think )... also, the mounting depth ? The mounting depth is only part of the speaker... I know that is the part that would go inside the box, but ... they said it would be too deep. I mean, only reason why I question your judgement is because those guys said they have been installing systems for 14 years.

The measurement of under my back seats are ...

1st depth(back of under the seat): about 7 inches
2nd depth(forward depth of under the seat): about 9 1/2 inches
height: about 12 inches
width: about 19 inches

the measurements stop at right about the tip of the end of the bottom of my seat and the width goes until the middle part of the car where there is a hump.

Anonymous

how overated is the bx1000d? just curious.

Silver Member
Username: Symplestiles

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 159
check out this site..they make custom boxes fit to match your truck. http://www.topedgeonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=7384 theres one right there that fits 2 12" with a depth of 12.75" if you decide to use THIS box (theres tons of them on there so take a look) all you have to do is find the best (ones you like the most) 12's and make sure their mounting depth is less than 12.75" (which almost ALL 12s are) and see if the air space matches up. just saying that these guys could be telling you things wont fit even if they do..

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 8
hey, thats really good ... i might consider that .... i was also considering buying a whole different setup online ... if it could work out, maybe 2 orion 12 h2's ... and w 2500d orion amps ... do you guys think that would hit nice ? :D
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us