Speaker orientation

Username: Newb

Post Number: 31
does it really matter whether a sub is horizontal or vertically oriented? any benefits one way or the other? i know vertically it can lose some Xmax, but bass is multi-directional/doesnt have to face the listener right?

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 369
well, non-directional to an extent.
the direction a sub faces can alter the performance quite a bit for various reasons.
Every car is going to be different so the best way to find the best location and orientation is to move the sub around and try different spots.

Personally I usualyl like firing subs toward the rear of the car. That allows the subs to use the trunk of the vehicle to resonate.
in hatchbacks, I usually fire them straight up.

Post Number: 32
hmm i have a hatch but i read on the specs for shiva it loses some Xmax in down firing orientation so im assuming its the same way facing up. i was gonna buy a box from a local shop which is angled(like a parallelogram in the back). they said if it had angles or rectangular in design was a better than a square box, not sure if that is true. but to fire upwards i would need a square box right?

Post Number: 378
you lose Xmax firing downward either due to the sub not returning all the way back to center due to gravity, or due to not having room to mature a full wave. firing up suffers from none of those problems.

angles are good to prevent standing waves, but the same thing can be accomplished by using polyfill in a box with a parallel opposing plane.

jay amaro
Unregistered guest
bass is unidirectional and you use your cars shape to direct the bass waves.
glasswolf is right you would do best to try moving the sub and in your case i would probably choose to fire upwards because given the 2 choices of glass or metal to use as a resonator i would pick the glass which works best.
if your concerned about firing straight up then maybe just an angled front on the box facing forward or rearward somewhat oriented to use the glass might work best for you.
jay

Post Number: 40
so why do ppl like downfiring boxes if u lose Xmax in that orientation? is there a benefit to downfiring?

jay amaro
Unregistered guest
there might be a slight benefit in a house with hardwood floors because the resonance but im not aware of any significant benefit but perhaps cosmetic if you add a plexi/lexan panel and you have a chrome plated basket then that would be a good way to show if off.
jay

Post Number: 67
i know some of u have been saying to tune the ported vented of an enclosure u just change the length of the resonating tube/pvc(not sure of term). but on an enclosre with a rectangular port(i guess u call it a slot vent) how do u tune it?

and r q-logic boxes worth $100?

Post Number: 658
slot vented boxes need to be built so that they are tuned to the specific subs they'll house.
you don't adjust them later.

I'm not that fond of Qlogic prefab boxen.
you're better off building a custom box or having one made for you.

Username: Redskin

Post Number: 37
hey chas just a thought but check out the "empty prefab bandpass boxes" thread for some info on what a crap box can do. But remember they're crap and thin.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us