Will this Sony amp and this Kicker 12 work together

Username: Okiefocie

Post Number: 1
I have 2 sony 10"s that I am going to replace due to a blown sub and I want to go with 1 12" kicker L5 in a tuned box do you think these items would work ok together untill I can afford a better AMP

Sony XM-2150GSX 760 watt 2 channel
http://bizrate.com/marketplace/product_info/details__cat_id--11820000,prod_id--7 222987.html
and

Kicker Solo-Baric L5 S12L5
12" Dual 4-ohm Voice Coil Subwoofer
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-4T7Ivjcd26K/ProdView.asp?s=0...
_

Vance
Unregistered guest
Don't forget ebay when looking for good cheap power.Solo-Baric's are power hunger also so the amp in question would be so-so at best. In insted of buying a Solo look at getting a Adire Audio Tempest. Marshell at Visionary Audio(http://www.visionaryaudio.com/)has betten Solo's many many times with Tempest's. And at $150 apiece their a much better buy AND that amp would do a much better job with the Tempest( and Tempest can still take 750 watts rms). Good luck!

Post Number: 2
That Tempest speaker is all well and good but it is a 15" not a 12" and I an working with limmited space. I can get that 12" solobaric at a great price and build the box myself. Also I already own the AMP.

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 606
if you blew the speakers, it was probably due to thermal damage, which means the amplifier was clipping.
you'll pretty much damage any speakers you buy until you can get a better amplifier, and make sure the electrical system is capable of handling that load.

Post Number: 3
I don't think it was clipping I have been abusing these cheap sony xplod 10"s for two years with that amp and I think build quality finally caught up with my bass adiction and the sub just went south.

I just want to know will that amp work for that sub until I can afford a better amp?

I would buy it all now but I am kinda strapped for cash and since I already own the amp I would like to use it

Post Number: 4
I don't think it was clipping I have been abusing these cheap sony xplod 10"s for two years with that amp and I think build quality finally caught up with my bass adiction and the sub just went south.

I just want to know will that amp work for that sub until I can afford a better amp?

I would buy it all now but I am kinda strapped for cash and since I already own the amp I would like to use it

loud and low
Unregistered guest
hey okie i agree with glasswolf the amp is going to be a problem, because your real world power out of the sony might only be around 100 x 2 at 2 ohms (note sony never lists the true power they only claim the peak which means nothing). so if you go the l5's dual 4 ohm voice coils you could put 100 watts to each with the subs in parallel. this would mean if you turn the volume up to high after a period of time you may end up damaging your much nicer l5's due to clipping considing they can handle 500 watts a piece rms. also you will never get clean power out of a sony amp sound quaulity is poor

Post Number: 5
I need to point out I am only getting 1 12" L5 so what if I run each 4ohm coil with a different channel would it be sufficient untill I can shell out the $400 needed for the amp I want. Heck everywhere I look says that sub will work with as little as 50watts.
I just cant afford the sub and a new amp both right now.

loud and low
Unregistered guest
okay my mistake but still you should be carefull to make sure you listen to the sub at different volumes and make sure that they aren't clipping. what amp are you interested in?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us