7.1 or 5.1?

Username: Abe88

Post Number: 4
is it worth investing in a surround sound system with 7.1 as opposed to 5.1? I will use mine for playing ps3, x360 and Wii. I'm wondering if there are any games out there that supports anything above dolby digital 5.1? What about movies?

Bronze Member
Username: Rmammerschuber

NY USA

Post Number: 67
I am wondering why you keep asking different questions in different posts regarding the same subject.?

Whether or not there are games and or movies out there that already offer 7.1 is not really a question for this forum as most of the folks here are dedicated to helping folks with "hardware".

That being said I am certain that there are and will be titles that employ 7.1 and going forward you'll probably start seeing 9.2 and 11.3. Lets not forget this all started with 2.0 then 2.1, 3.1, 5.1 now 7.1 soon to be 7.2 and so on and so on and so on.

Post Number: 5
to learn! about hardware for instance. Isn't surround soud systems considered hardware?

Bronze Member

NY USA

Post Number: 68
Understood but why not ask all your questions in your original post thread?

Post Number: 6
I ask questions, get answers, learn new things and based on that knowledge I ask new questions

Bronze Member

NY USA

Post Number: 69
Yeah I got that but why not keep it in one single thread?

Silver Member
Username: Vm8444

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 231
lets keep it in one thread lars please ,,
and my reciever and speaker recomendations are great for your situation..

Post Number: 7
oh I get it! you want me to edit my post, instead of making new ones? but there is a 60 minute time limit for updating...

Bronze Member

NY USA

Post Number: 70
You don't edit your original post you simply use the box at the bottom of the thread to make a new post like you have been doing here in your responses.

So when you have a follow up question regarding your research and further questions you simply post the new thought in the same thread you started for the subject st hand.

This way it's easier for everyone (including you) to read and track the questions and answers as well as bookmark for future reference / follow up.

You also might try searching the forum and reading previous threads that may have already addressed your concerns or something similar to your question.

Silver Member

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 232
save your breath rob he'll soon be warned to play by the rules..

Bronze Member

NY USA

Post Number: 71
I know Vince. I was just trying to help him some with the questions and the forum before he got the warning...

Post Number: 8
I don't think the posts I've made are follow up questions, otherwise I would do as you suggest as the people responding to my original post would be suited for these follow-up questions

Silver Member

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 234
Ok one poster topic per forum section,
because you wondering about improving your setup.

The follow up questions can be as Robert said be underneath your original post.

And back to your original query on this topic most or us get along fine with 5.1 with decent open sounding speakers which fill a room fine especially a room your size.

theaudioguy.ca

Bronze Member

NY USA

Post Number: 72
Lars, as Vince stated it's the topic which is what counts.

Your original post and inquiry was about Home Theater options for your particular needs and wants. Each subsequent thread you started was about the same topic of Home Theater and surround sound. As such all those threads are still the same topic so they should be in the original thread.

Now if you decided to change the subject and start talking about TVs or HTPC's or inflatable pool deck screens with underwater projection and submersible speakers then that would be a different topic and thus justify a new thread.

Think of this like a novel you might read... Does the author start a new book for every chapter regarding the same story?

Anywho back on topic; If 7.1 is within your buget with the features you desire then it's allways smart to get the newest technology available as the media will follow sooner or later. Now on the other side of that you might get better results within your budget by going for 5.1 with higher quality components especially the speakers.

If you invest in the best speakers you can afford then you leave open the option to swap out the amp / receiver in the future and add more speakers as needed. I allways advise people to start with the speakers and work backwards from there. The motto is great speakers will allways sound good and cheap speakers will never sound better.

Silver Member

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 235
well said but his room is quite small for 7.1[8x14]
but it would work.

Post Number: 9
thankyou for your advice. I understand what you are saying but I just don't see how I can attract visiters on your site if I ask questions about HDMI and then about 5.1 or 7.1 in the same thread. The people reading my post will do so because of what the headline says. If I were to do it your way I would have to change the title every time I asked a question.

Bronze Member

NY USA

Post Number: 73
Uncle UNCLE! I give!

I thought the point of your visit was to get some input on your pending setup? Now you're talking about contributing to the functionality and popularity of the web site forums???

Like Vince said; The room your using is really too small to gain any benefit from 7.1. In a larger space 7.1 would offer more evenly dispersed audio.

Media formats change almost daily now so anything you buy now is pretty much old technology in six months so go for quality speakers and later you can upgrade the receiver as desired.

For your aplication you should be able to get very good results for under $1,000 maybe a little more if you spring for better quality speakers.

Moving as much data as possible through the shortest distance via HDMI will give you the best results in the end. As for your gaming I don't think it'll make any difference with the wii since there is no 1.4 HDMI and I believe XBox is 1.2 but I could be wrong. The best experience in gaming for you will be the PS4.

Post Number: 10
thats not what I meant. If I ask a new question in a thread is a different question. Then only people who have information about the original question will enter my thread and people who know about the new qustion wont read my thread because they dont see the latest question I asked only the first one, that may have nothing to do with the question I started the thread with Thats what I meant.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us