Which speakers and AVR to go with?

Username: Shas

Post Number: 5
ok..after muchr research and listening to many speakers my bottom line companies are SpeakerCraft (Cinema series), Paradigm (AMS Series) and B&W. Comes to t AVR's Denon, Integra & Mirantz.
I have two zones one, one is movie room and the other music room. These are for movie room. The type of music that i listen to Frank sinatra, instruments, new age mucis...etc

given the deatails which ones would you pick ?

Thanks for your comment

Cheers

Gold Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 1254
With these choices Shas I would focus on Denon and B&W then try to talk myself out of one or the other with product features and sound that the optional choices may have.

It may seem trivial and may well be in the long run but the faceplate and remote controls of the AVR's may be a deciding factor.

Silver Member
Username: Vm8444

Post Number: 131
shas jim's picks are worth checking out..
and I also like integra with b@w,,

but!

I've installed marantz many times so give the paradigm's a listen with them..
and use the ft4 inwall rated audioquest flex 16 14/2 spker wire..
very important to use a decent wire.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_70314260/AudioQuest-FLX-14-2-14-Gauge-In-Wall-Speaker-Cable-60-feet.html
let us know which you like..

theaudioguy.ca

Post Number: 6
Thanks Jim and Vince. AVR Remote control is not that important given either i will go with Logitech Harmony 900 or Control 4 which is bit pricey but like the features.

I listened to paradigm AMS series and wasn't impressed and it looks Paradigm is good option to go with if you are into floor / standing speakers. Options are now B&W with Dennon AVR or Speakercraft with integra DTR-40.1.

After much listening i felt B&W are good for listening to the music and Speakercraft Cinema one is good for movies. Want to see how many of you agree with that?

Also do i need an amplifier or surround sound distributor along with AVR ?

Vince, thanks for the link, my home is already pre wired..all i need is to cut dry wall to position the speakers. How can i check if the wires are ft4

Cheers

Silver Member

Post Number: 134
shas they should say on the wire itself
ft4 or cL2
if you like the speaker craft depending on ratio of music to tv and home theater listening you have to choose..

also check out tannoy inwalls I'm only familiar with floorstanding on bookshelves and certain inwalls.....

not sure what you mean for ss distibuter but the denon has 2 zones but digital video no
go with what you like
for spk
and the harmony is fine end it with light control with the harmony and the lutron 600w dimmer switch from home depot for 45 bucks and your set.

Post Number: 7
Thanks Vince. I leaning towards Speakercraft speakers with integra AVR but yesterday after checking specs for several other speakers, i like BIC America in-wall speakers. This is on paper so not sure if i can compare them to speakercrafts. Circuit city have them on sale..they looks good but not sure if they are any good? The one i have in mind are

B35-1034 :: BIC AMERICA VK-6LCR 6.5" 3-Way Kevlar Black Lacquer On-Wall LCR Speaker - Single (17.8 lbs)

B35-1030 :: BIC AMERICA VK-6DUAL 6.5", 150-Watt Kevlar Series Weather Resistant In-Ceiling Speaker with Twin Tweeters - Single (9.6 lbs)

B35-1026 :: BIC AMERICA VK38W 8" 3-Way Kevlar Series In-Wall Speakers with Pivoting Tweeter - Pair (70.4 lbs)

Are there any good?

Silver Member

Post Number: 151
sorry shas I never heard them ..[bic]

I thought they make lighters..
by the way....
specs is nice and all

but your ears have the final say,,,

Go and listen if you can
the integra is nice,,
what does the seller of the integra match them with ?

I'm guessing b&w.....
but I probably go check tannoy myself.
I wonder what you'll choose......

theaudioguy.ca

Post Number: 8
update:

ok...after listening to several speakers (B&W, SpeakerCraft, Polk, Martin Logan, Definitive tech, Paradigm) i felt speakerCraft and Def Tech sounded much better. SpeakerCraft return policy is not so great when you install them your own. If any defect i will have to live with it since i am not going with their proffered installer which costs me around 2K!! Went with Definitive technology...just now placed the order for

Front 2 UIW 75
Rear 2 UIW BP/A
Center Mythos 7
Sub SuperCube III

I am still debating between Integra DTR 50.1 vs Denon 3310 CI both are network capable and other loaded features.

Cheers

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 772
I don't think you can go wrong with either of these two. If iPOD is a factor I like the way the Denon intergrates with an iPOD using one of there docks.

Post Number: 9
Thanks Casey. Ipod is important but after talking to several folks who installed control 4 it seem Integra receiver has least issues. I got all my speakers and sub waiting on receiver. There is a 3 to 4 week wait time on Integra DTR 50.1. I am hoping to pick up loaner receiver from my friend for now to get the install done this weekend.

I never bothered to verify the speaker wire before, actually i don't even know it's big deal until Vince mentioned above. It looks my builder had put in 16 gauge wire and it's no name brand. Not sure if this a compromise but rewiring a nightmare. I've read on home theater mag that if the distance between receiver and speaker is less than 80 feel, AWG 16 is ok ?

Also does it make any difference if i use HDMI cable from costco vs Audio quest HDMI cable ?

Also appreciate if you guys give some guidance what other part should i buy for the weekend install. So far all i can think is

1) 3 HDMI cables
2) 12 pin connectors for speakers
3) Banana plug for sub

Silver Member

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 168
hi shas what do you mean 12 pin for speakers

builder wire is ok no worries.

16 gauge
are the speakers inwall or inceiling?

def tech are good.
bananas for reciever then bare wire on speaker end..
costco hdmi wire is fine but do try it first if you can.
the sub connection should be a rca type coaxial cable
now that you can use an audioquest sub cable.
then reciever menu set up should be fun!

harmony remote and your set.
theaudioguy.ca
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us