Coaxial to Analogue Surround Sound

Username: Jazzerfred

LondonUK

Post Number: 1
Hi Guys,
I have an old XBOX 360 with an A/V output and a 5.1 surround sound system with analogue inputs, no digital coaxial or optical. Also I'm connecting the XBOX to an HD TV with a component cable, and the TV only has a stereo audio output. Any way I can get the XBOX hooked up for true 5.1 surround sound?

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 1119
Greetings Freddie,

What sort of audio are you using out of your XBOX? If it is analog (red/white RCA) then the audio outs of the TV should work, if the XBOX is digital audio you may be out of luck without a DAC adapter (and then I would highly recommend an upgrade to the receiver)

LondonUK

Post Number: 2
Hi Jim,

The XBOX is connected to the TV by a red, green and blue component cable. I could take a stereo RCA signal from the TV to the surround sound unit but then I can only use virtual surround sound on the XBOX signal. I'm using a Goodmans GHC50 surround sounds unit with the subwoofer built into the receiver. Is there a replacement receiver with subwoofer I can buy with Coaxial/Digital sound input?

Thanks,

Freddie

Gold Member

Post Number: 1138
What do you mean by "virtual surround sound"?

LondonUK

Post Number: 3
The unit has a "virtual surround" button which converts a stereo signal into a 5.1 signal, but it only really works from left to right, not back to front. Its not true 5.1

Gold Member

Post Number: 1139
Analog audio carries 5.1 and will be decoded by your surround sound system. Where you thinking otherwise? Going digital is preferable but not necessary.

Does this help?

Bronze Member
Username: Vm8444

Post Number: 94
goodmans? huh
yeah I would upgrade fred
depending on budget
to say
energy take 5 on amazon with a denon reciever

theaudioguy.ca
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here