Onkyo HT-770 Setup

Username: Daddyrabbit

Post Number: 4
After waiting a week I finally got my 770 delivered (OH Happy Day).

Here is my config-

System = HT-770

DVD = Onkyo dv-cp702

TV Out = Non-HD ready Sony 36" with SVideo and 2 composites in.

TV Signal = Comcast digital cable box with composite out and 2 channel audio (plus RF out)

I have the following connections:

DVD to Amp = Optical/SVideo into DVD/OPT1

Cable box to Amp = Composite & L/R Stereo Audio into Video 1 audio inputs.

Amp to TV = Monitor out SVideo to TV SVideo Input (named Receiver).

When playing DVDs I select the DVD input on the amp and all is well, if I select Video 1 however I get the audio but no video.

I currently switched to running the video out of the cable box to the composite in on the TV which works fine but I have to switch the TV input manually to get video.

My question is, is there a way to use just one input on the TV and have the amp switch the video source and route that to the SVideo monitor out.

My guess is that if I had an SVideo out of the cable box in to the amp that this would work and that using composite mixed with SVideo is what is forcing having to route video directly to the TV.

Any ideas would be appreciated...

Beyond that, for the money this system ROCKS! I have yet to connect the center rear and perform any advanced setup (speaker distance etc.) and the system sounds pretty good right out of the box...

Anonymous

Yes, some receivers have whats called "video upconversion" e.g. composite to S-video or S to Component" and with that ability your system would work. But i'm 98% certian the onkyo doesn't do this and that is your problem. I also recommend taking the time to go through the manual and do the advanced setup and also pick up some 16 (or lower) gauge wire to replace the in the box speaker cable. You don't have to get the expensive stuff but the tiny cable they send "in the box" just won't do your speakers and receiver justice. "On the cheap" I recommend Home Depot 16/12 gauge or Acoustic Research wire(available at any best buy). I hope this was some help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us