Archive through January 04, 2004JJ100
Archive through November 15, 2003Clint186

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 1001
615 is not an Atlanta area code moron!

Anonymous

The masked bandit strikes again in Portland, OR. "There is a sucker born every minute".

TRIPLE SET
Unregistered guest
HERE TO ALL THE SPEAKER GUYS. FOURTH SET FREE, DO 16-GET 500.00 BUCKS,AND MOST SETS IN A WEEK GET AN EXTRA 200.00 EVERYONE MEET AT HOOTERS TONIGHT AND DONT SPEND SET MONEY. AND KEEP YOUR VAN CLEAN YOU DIRTY MO FO ;]

STFOnikka
Unregistered guest
hahaha u guys are stupid this isnt a scam but a unique way of selling u get ur speakers and u get hustled if ur an idiot period. putting up signs to warn people?? u know how big ur city is? one plaza out of the whole city isnt going to change shiitt!! we;r not going far? this has been around longer then home theater systems my friend.

They are in san antonio tx
Unregistered guest
lost $300 on a 6.1 surround system. leaving my bank and 2 college looking kids come up in a nice looking silver 4 runner. they show me recipts, catalogs, pictures in a magazine, and even business cards. they tell me "we would keep them, but we arent from around here because we have to install these, and there are too many." but you know what, i didnt even want the speakers. in fact, i told them no like 20 times, and the only reason i bought them is because they double parked me and wouldnt let me leave. i thought "ill at least get my money back if it is a scam" yeah right! ebay has the same set i have for 200 bucks, and it doesnt look like anybody is buying them either. i am also too honest to sell them to anybody else, so im screwed. oh, the dude did give me a cell phone #512-779-7195. said his name was bryan. ill try it tomorrow. that is an austin # where he said he worked.
but remember this, DONT EVER BUY ANYTHING OUT OF THE TRUNK OF SOMEBODY'S CAR.

they are in san antonio tx
Unregistered guest
oh hey, if anybody else in austin/ san antoio/ san marcos or any other surrounding city runs into them, give me an email skatesa207@hotmail.com
maybe we can put an end to this

Username: Timthetoolman

Post Number: 1
Here is an idea.... When you see these guys and they ask you for money for this junk take them for a ride!!!! Tell them to follow you to your bank for cash this will light up there eyes! Do your best to get them lost as possible make turns go to the ward go in circles eventually ending up at the police station. You might lose a few bucks in gas money but they lose the same and the time they would use scamming someone who doesn't know any better.

Anonymous

guys!!!!! here in montreal there is s guy who put an add in the paper 500$ for TR 2830 and 500$ for DS6.1 i can go pick them at his house.
How do i knwif they are not part of the scam?

Does any one have any idea?

heydude
Unregistered guest
yeah dude pick em up for 500 each...thats a steal if ive ever seen one!...stfo

Anonymous

I join the ranks of victims. Please laugh with me not at me. I came across these 2 guys in Milwaukee WI, I fell for it hook line and sinker. The guys were in an older car and had to use a screwdriver to open the trunk. They revealed 2 huge speakers and the smaller theater box. TR-6030. The guy showered me with compliments (must be "rich" but I may have to find someone richer). Msrp $26XX, such a good deal I should buy him dinner; he was going to the txxxie bar tonight.....Well I paid him over $300 and gave him 6 singles for his trip to the txxxie bar. I will have sucker marked on my forehead for a long, long time. I feel used but I named my price. Can you say sucker!

Anonymous

Sept. 2, 2005 Home Depot, Auburn Hills, MI. Gold mini van with 3 white males. Same story as everyone else.

STFOnikka
Unregistered guest
hey dude.. i got em freeeeeeeeeeee
PULL OVA!

TRIPLE SET
Unregistered guest
i'm so lucky dude. my company was supposed to give me 4, they gave me eight!!!! it's like hittin the lottery,.................i love it!speaker man4life, oh by the way, they call me jesus at the wharehouse, cause i make things happen.

STFOnikka
Unregistered guest
^ u got em free 2 dude? what did he smoke for breakfast?

still tippin'
Unregistered guest
Tim Howell- here is an idea.. GO FUCKK UR SELF cops cant do SHITT we live in a capitalist country and u are aloud to buy and re sell products nikka-STFO

Nickyfrmvegas
Unregistered guest
every one should call up glenn and thank him for such bad a s s speakers or me!

Nickyfrmvegas
Unregistered guest
you know what?
Ive been doing this 13 yrs and im almost done.But in all this time the spekers have been built 100 x better,and people still complaine. BUT if you read these posts its all the 150 and $200 that bit ch lol haha in your face weak minded no morals kids crying broke a s s , ha ha i have your money. going to send it to the brothers in NEW ORleans lol lol lol.
so untill the next ATM or a parking lot near YOU!

Speakerman101
Unregistered guest
www.burckhards.com
The ultimate street hustle.

sldadslfkhasdf
Unregistered guest
I got a pair of TR900's at a garage sale for fifty bucks. Sure I'd be as pissed as yall if I got hustled for 300 out of the back of a van by a couple of punks, but the speakers actually aren't all that bad. Lick your bruised egos and try them out like I did. I tried them side by side with a nice pair of large Bose bookshelves. I actually like these better in some respects. The highs are kinda sh1tty but the mids are ok, and the bass... damn. Some EQ tweaking could make for some very decent sound. If nothing else, replace the drivers, the cabs are nicely built and finished and seem well tuned. You can't buy this kind of cabs for less money, so even if you paid 300, quit squirting the lemons in your eye and make some damn lemon juice ; put a nice set of drivers in. You'll be happy. It's not as bad as some of you make it sound. And the next time a van pulls up, hustle the hustler. For 100-125 you'd be getting one hell of a deal. Peace

sldadslfkhasdf
Unregistered guest
ps, nicky from vegas, you'd better quit soon or you might get your balls kicked up into your throat one of these days, considering how many people are on to you... keep trying your luck punk

Nickyfrmvegas
Unregistered guest
lol i ve only been doing this 13 years,I wonder how many times ive passed you on the streets? lol or maybe i f u c k ed your mom or sister? Dont worry im a man ill pay your child support!
And as faR AS LUCK.. COME ON! i BUY LUCK BYE THE CONTAINER.800 UNITS AT A TIME.(PREETY LUCKY HU? LOL LOL
SO when you bought your car did you go on a post like this and tell everyone you are a s h i t y buyer.Or when you Bk a few years ago? or did you just get SLAMED 4 hudge?
So know this, YOU ARE NOTHING TO Me! show some balls,and tell me were you are so we can play.
And as far as quiting NOT going to do it Ever! I cant settle for less like you. I have to much ambition for that........I must buy your place of employment, So i may FIRE YOU,because your a lazy broke FLEA:-( HUrry write back

jcko1431
Unregistered guest
I just bought a TR-6010 for $80 from a friend that probably paid $200, but never installed them. They may not last very long, but they sound 10x better than my 1970 Pioneer speakers. I think every one's pissed off because they thought they were getting the deal of the century when they were really only getting the quality they paid for.

alikxs
Unregistered guest
Calgary, Alberta, Canada...

Wow these guys are pretty good. I never though I would get scammed but it has to happen some time in your life. I only paid 320 Canadian so i'm not too choked. I took down the lisence plate and called the police to see if they could give me a name. They said they could not do anything because the company is legit and it was a rental car. Sooner or later I will get my money back...It's just a matter of time.

laughingatu
Unregistered guest
I bought a few sets of speakers called theater research at 250 apiece it produces great quality sound never had any prblems with it. the highs and mids are very clear and the bass is shakin my house so it is a very nice system in my opinion, but i think you people are mad because u got mis represented on the product its self not on the quaility of the product. Most of the people that has posted here never cared to mention how they got scammed ( did it not work, or what was wrong with it) I mean u got a deal and my speakers sounds awsome for what i paid. You would not even come close to the sound quility for a brand name off the shelf 5.1 sorround system at best buy. so people get off your high horse and man up that u got sold.

blue eyes
Unregistered guest
2 guys pulled up to me in toronto on friday and told me that same story and me with my business sense i thought i might as well buy them for the "deal" and sell them, but once i searched around for it when i got home i relized selling it wouldnt be an option i paid $500 for a TR-8200 and i ended up plugging it in and i really like it i know its probably not as well made as they say it was but it sounds great and im not mad at all i understand that i fell for it just like people fall for "clearence" and "going out of busines" signs.. its just a sales pitch i guess sick systems though

Hawkes
Unregistered guest
OKay, My mother ended up buying the TR-6010 system second hand off someone, and after hooking it up she says it sounds great, However, after about 15 minutes or so it shuts off and says "overload" or something like that. She is thinking that she hooked it up wrong and since I live 3000 miles away from her, I can't exactly hop over to see if she did hook it up right. I know that you guys all say this system is a load of crap, but if someone would be able to post me a site with the manual, or where it shows the hook-up for the TR-6010 system then that would be awesome. I have been searching for 3 days now and can't seem to find anything online in the line of manuals or instructions or anything. My e-mail adress is Hawkesy44@hotmail.com or just post something. If you have a TR-6010 manual, would you be able to scan it and e-mail it to me or something like that. Thanks a lot guys.

Username: Stfonikka

ALLL OVA, CALI WORLD WIDE

Post Number: 2
ya i got one it comes with a TR-6010 that i got for free today.. paypal me $800 and its urs bro

TRIPLE SET
Unregistered guest
"you know what it takes to sell speakers? brass balls."
'Glengary-Glenross'

speakerman101
Unregistered guest
www.burckhards.com
"falling off my truck since 1999"

Angry
Unregistered guest
Same story as everyone else... But my speakers are 1420, rather than the 1400. So can I at least say I got a better deal? No. I recieved my great deal in Mississauga Ontario, near Winston Churchill and Steeles, at the walmart. 1998 Greyish Caravan...

I can't even fathom how I bought these. As well I didn't even open the boxes afterwards.

The people selling these things are pure criminals, who don't deserve bread and water.

I suppose I'm I have other people to share this story with, but we shouldnt have been writing in this form anyways.

Siasia Wammah, Worcester
Unregistered guest
My wife and I had just left a Nextel phone booth when these two white guys approached us with the same old story about a TR6030 home theater system. This was in Worcester, MA. My wife took down their plate #. I hook up the system and it doesn't sound good at all. They scammed us of $200.00. God be with them. They'll eventually meet their match.

Anonymous

You know I sympathize for you, but you all only have yourselves to blame. None of you were "scammed", you were sold. No one pointed a gun to your heads to hand over your money. You were all too happy to get an impossible "deal". By your definition of "scam"...

If you have ever bought jewelry at a retail store you can scammed.
If you have ever bought a wedding ring in particular, you very royally scammed!
If you have ever bought drinks at movie theater, you have been scammed.
If you have very bought a new car, you have been royally scammed.
If you have bought high-end electronics equipment, you have been scammed. (huge markup)

Consider this, if you have arrived home and found the speakers you just got out the back of someone's truck were actually worth $2500, you would be thrilled. You would also be in procession of (probably) stolen property. Any contractor (and I have been one to install high end audio systems) would be able to

a. Resell the item to someone else, at a profit most likely, cost if need be.
b. Return the item to supplier for credit, taking at most a restock fee. Any real contractor has a relationship with their suppliers and most supplier would have no problem taking back even a large item, especially for a good customer who just "bought too many"
c. Sell it on eBay at the worst

So you get home and realize that L6 surround sound set is only worth $50, and not $2500. So instead of --you- ripping off some guy for $2500 speakers for only $250, you're the one for got ripped off.

Before any deal, look around; if you can't spot the sucker in 30 seconds, it's YOU!

I just had a customer come in and asked me to sell and L6 set on eBay, it went for less than $16.

The cops won't do anything, because you didn't get scammed. You simply didn't get the deal you -really- wanted, you got the deal they offered you, which you then convinced yourself you really wanted. Which turned our to be a bad deal. A good salesman lets the buyer talk themselves into a sale. I bet some of you were practically begging them to take your money, to cut you a deal, blah blah. If some fool wants to pay $3 for a .50 cent cup of soda, or $400 for a $50 speaker set, it's that fool's fault, don't ask the cops to get your money back. A fool and his money are soon parted.

Grow up, wise up.

Just a funny anecdote, the local Goodwill received two pairs of TL tower speakers. They had a magazine ad that listed the speakers price for $3000, and had them marked for $600. They ended up selling for $400. I saw the guy the next day and told him they were worth only about $200 (maybe), he was furious, called the manager, blah blah, whine whine. Manager told him the same I wrote above "Nobody had a gun to your head".

getarefund
Unregistered guest
Refunds

To get a refund, you should contact the local distributor within three days, which may be listed below or by selecting the nearest city to you the SIGHTINGS & LOCATIONS section at ScamShield. If the information is not yet available, you should contact the manufacturer, Audio Wood Products and ask for the contact information of the nearest distributor.

By occasionally giving no receipt they hope you will feel too guilty to ask for a refund due to the larcenous nature of the "shady" deal, .

"I was able to get a full refund, which is really because of the law, not company policy. I'm not sure of the specifics but as I recall when people use such deceitful sales tactics that, by law, the buyer is entitled to a full refund if the goods are returned within a few days. This is the only reason I believe this company would ever return any money to anyone."

" He also said I could get my money back if I threw in an extra $20 so he could buy beer. "

How to find them: In any large city you can find a "Speaker Office" by just picking up the morning paper - it's that easy! Look under general in the want ads, find an ad for "Delivery" or "Rock & roll", "long hair okay".

Call it and then go to the interview location where they hope to recruit you as one of their "speakermen" to demand your money back or arrange the bust.

getarefund
Unregistered guest
here is the website for ScamShield:

http://www.scamshield.com/

biggie
Unregistered guest
Same story, I got these yesterday from 2 guys in a champagne explorer. This "scam" or whatever it is, has been going on for a while because I remember getting approached at least a couple of times within the last 2 years and have always turned them down without even looking at the speakers. The only reason I bought them was because my neighbor had bought some about a year ago and has had no problems with them. Well anyways it was the same scripted story like everyone else's, beer money, boss is gonna take them, ATM, etc. So I got them for $100 a piece. They sound nice, alot better than the bookshelf speakers I had. After reading this forum last night, I felt real stupid, not to mention I told alot of people. I guess the real reason I was pissed is because I thought I was getting the deal of the century, but I did need some new front speakers and these sound good enough, and I didnt have to pay $200-$400 a speaker at circuit city. The model on the speakers are TR-2830. I am guessing that the Theater Research website is either not real, or the prices are super inflated so you think you are getting a great deal when you buy them out of someone's trunk. Hell, maybe someone could pay $2000 a speaker on there if they wanted to, man I hope not!

Anonymous

That sucks! Same story getting something for nothing ! Three guys white van L# YSZ651 got me at Lowes in JACKSON MI. one just turned 21 on 08 26 this last month !his name was STEVEN TAYLOR in Ypsilanti MI got his info off his drivers License .There was a big kid named JOE .One more that was a scammer in training Dave I think .Trying to get money back my $$$$ they keep saying where a WARRANTY CENTER you get them from a INDEPENDENT DISTRIBUTOR you need to talk to STEVEN TAYLOR, JASON is his boss and PAUL is the owner of this place DREAM AUDIO WORKS that can up grade me but no $$$$ need to call STEVEN TAYLOR in YPSILANTI. They have no NUMBER for me to talk to him ????????? getting run around !!
Don't know how bad I got scammed ? Here it is I got TWO TR 1620 SPEAKERS and 0NE TR 6030 SURROUND SOUND AMPLIFIER ALL FOR 800.00 $$$$ Any informtion please write in. THANKS

Nickyfrmvegas
Unregistered guest
ya u got slamed lol did you give up the 20 for beer? lol i have a pink bridge $1000.00 dwn 500 mo lol hurry my boss cant find out lol

anonymous6789
Unregistered guest
i feel like an idiot after reading all of this. jesus christ.thats a damn good hustle though, i gotta admit

smiley
Unregistered guest
I am posting this as a warning to everyone that reads this. I've heard enough of this suff that I went to there website (http://www.trtheaterresearch.com/) be sure to check it out. My brother got scammed by someone with these so called high end home audio speakers for $400. But when I went to the website I was a little pissed off and wanted to talk to their so called customer service. I called the long distance number and low and behold it was the sprint wireless answering machine service. DO NOT BUY THESE SPEAKERS. I am going to be pursuing this further and I encourage all others to do what they can to stop this from happening anymore.

Smiley
Unregistered guest
Yet more disturing evidence. On their website they have what they call a Certificate of affiliation with the FBAA (Fair Business assosiation of America) It provides you with a link to their website and on their you will find alot of happy language about their members going above and beyond to provide their customers with superior service and fair business practice. Such as this section: "Truth Matters

Reckless disregard of the truth

A reckless lack of attention to the truth that misleads or deceives another (as a magistrate) Example: whether false statements were made intentionally or in reckless disregard of the truth in support of the warrant -- State v. O'Neil , 879 P.2d 950 (1994).

The FBAA believes the truth must be told and any complaint against a company must be verified and found reliable. Most consumer organizations do not verify any complaint assuming that all complaints may or may not be legitimate. The FBAA believes this practice is not fair damaging the name of thousand of wonderful companies due to unwarranted complaints.

Please browse our website thoroughly to see examples of some of the finest companies in the United States. Our service is one of a kind, if you have any questions or comments please feel free to contact us at 1-877-875-FBAA."

Yet again to my surprise their was no service at the above number.

BiggDocc
Unregistered guest
St. Louis, Fenton area... I got SHAFTED!!!! 2 guys in an explorer... Same story delivering 3 to Wash. U. gonna keep 1 and sell the other to get money for BAR. They ask for $800... I give them $175 and a Laptop computer.... The laptop I got at a pawn shop for $300, but the screen is going out on it.... Gonna cost them $600-$900 to get the screen replaced... so I didn't make out too bad... like $475 for some REALLY nice LOOKING speakers.... I got the TR-606 set. Like the guy said earlier... just reload the boxes with new drivers... the boxes alone are worth at least $300 if you had them made...hell I took them to a pawn shop nearby and they offered me $350 for them... I will keep them to remind me that if it is too good to be true....

Not a Sucker
Unregistered guest
My roommate just got some, and called me to tell me the "deal". Ha. I told him he got a good deal, because people were getting ripped for more (he paid $200). Essentially I estimate the ripoff for $100. If they look decent and work okay at low volumes I might even let him put 'em up in the house. Someone tried this scam with me and some of my friends a few years at lunchtime in high school. I called out all the b.s., and almost gang beat the dudes right there in the parking lot. He said his boss was going to come down and "kick our a.s.s.". I asked if he was a ninja, because it's hard to beat down 20 pissed off 17 year olds by yourself, then we started pushing the dude around. It was glorious, I wish we would have pummulled the dude to make all you naive consumers feel better. By the way, if the stroies these guys say are true, you would be buying stolen merchandise, even if it was a case of having extra merchandise loaded into the van. Shame on you guys, I don't feel sorry for you.

Missilelaunch
Unregistered guest
I was in the same situation today in San Antonio. After they put the speakers in the back of my car, I drove over to a friends house in a gated community and told the guard not to let the people in and to call the police. They thought I was going to an ATM. I knew it was a scam from the beginning, but it sure was fun to screw the scammers over. I am glad I did not buy them, they blew 30 seconds after being hooked up to an amplifier.

Bronze Member
Username: Diverhank

Huntington Beach, CA

Post Number: 39
Yeah, Missilelaunch...Those guys are at worst con men. You on the otherhand have just become a criminal, having committed a robbery. I'm surprised the police didn't arrest you.

Unregistered guest
WELL IT HAPPENED TO MY ROOMATE TOO
IN BETHLEHAM PA ACROSS THE STREET FROM THE INTERNATION AIRPORT SO NOW THERE IN PENN. HE GOT GOT FOR 250.00 IF ANYONE HAS ANY LEADS PLEASE POST I'M CREATING FLYERS AND THROWING THEM ALL AROUND THE AREA. THEY ARE STILL TRAVELING IN A WHITE VAN WITH PA TAGS.

straightup
Unregistered guest
stop being stupid, u got slammed and it happend so fast that u didnt even relize how they got ur $, i mean at the end u did end up with a good product didnt u ? i mean it wasnt worth as much as u thought but that why u bought it.. becuase it was too good to resist and u were just too damm greedy to pass it on u had to have that system for cheap and u have ur self to blame no1 put up a gun to ur head and made u buy. U GOT SOLD NIGGGGGA

Username: Radone

Sydney, NSW Australia

Post Number: 6
Hey BUG - I'm a Yank living in Oz. G'day. These speakers aren't in the same league as The Pure Acoustics (PA) although they are both made in China. And I don't know why they are called Pure Acoustic USA. I bid on a 5 piece set and got them really cheap off ebay as a runout. I thought that they were the same thing until I heard them myself. Plus I had an Audiophile guy come around and check them out. He said the PA's are really good for entry to mid level systems but don't compare to Jamo, Wharfedale and JBL. I noticed that they are also sold in Home Theatre combinations with a decent Plasma and Kenwood receiver. I wouldn't mess with Kenwood anyway. Before buying I was thinking that if the speakers are crap any profit they make over the cost of the plasma and receiver in the sale must be pure profit. And that's not bad. Not a bad scam IF that's the case. I will admit the cone construction is a bit dated, the binding post is poor construction and the internal wiring is small (14awg) but that can be easily fixed. Besides, at the price I got em for, who cares?

Username: Mango_joe

Orlando, Florida Usa

Post Number: 9
id like to buy a pair but ive never seen the guys anywhere and i wont buy online

oudidntkn0w
Unregistered guest
i had 2 dudes in an explorer about 20yrs old come up to me in livonia, mi at murrays auto parts this summer and tryed to scam me with these crappy speakers. At first they had me with "oh these are like 800 watts, seriously goooood speakers man" after 10 mins, i said how much? they said how much do you have, I said $30. they said nah we need like 10x that. I walked away and laughed at them.

PriceGrabber.com is a GREAT place to buy speakers, electronics NAME BRANDS.

Bronze Member
Username: Radone

Sydney, NSW Australia

Post Number: 15
Hey 'Not a Sucker' yer right. Who is the real bad guy? The guy selling them or the guy buying potentially stolen goods? How can anyone complain that they got 'scammed' if they paid for them what they were worth?

gtrdrewgtr
Unregistered guest
three guys today approached me at Desert Ridge Marketplace in Phoenix, AZ. Seemed very legit. work orders , business cards and polo shirts. I fell for it. But as soon as i got them i went home to look them up, found this site and immediately called them saying my friend wanted the extra one. So i met them up in the same area with some friends out of sight. When i said i wanted to return it and get my money back. they refused, the driver pulled a gun out and sped off. We got the plates, called the cops and ten minutes later the police escorted me to go identify the guys. Long story short, They got arrested(for how long i dont know) and i got my money back.

Anonymous

I think I am missing something here. People say they want to keep track of where those supposedly scammers are operating. But are they not everywhere? The manufacturer or main distributors would have recruited reps in all areas to sell their products. I bet those folks are just looking for short term money, so what is the point?
Another thing I don't get is why are people buying stuff they know nothing about. That's just asking for trouble. Chance of getting a good deal is almost zero unless you know the product.

Great for those who got there money back, those that didn't - live and learn and learn quickly!

Post Number: 3
nothing is short term brother.. most cities in the world has at LEAST 1 speaker crew working out of the same office for years and trust me even when every other guy u ask knows the deal u can still SELL THE FU CK OUT STFO!

Post Number: 4
nothing is short term brother.. every major city in the WORLD has at LEAST 1 speaker office, and they still sell out for years! There are even small cities that have been worked for years, and even if every other person "knows" the deal we still sell the fu ck out!!

Unregistered guest
gtrdrewgtr

If you read this, and they were in a chevy truck and one of them had a broken hand, please contact me immediately! I want their info and I want my money back! I will be spending the rest of the day tracking them down. I was in tempe and got had for $300 thank god I found this site! I know I willingly paid money for a product...... that was misrepresented and fraudulent!!! I'll be bringing my .380 so if they try to pull on me they're in for a surprise! SELF DEFENSE!

Loose
Unregistered guest
Latest attempt in Toronto Canada selling the 6030 model. My friend was about to purchase two set for $700 Canadian, luckly he called me first and I found this site!

kujio
Unregistered guest
hahah thats funny a good friend of mine got scammed in Tempe for $500. I had to give him the sad news that he got suckered. I hear that the speakers cost the warehouse about a $100 and that the owner gets another $100. The rest goes to the salesman. Man you guys are kinda dumb and greedy for buying these speakers but if you only paid $200 its not that bad of a deal. If u got hustled in the Phoenix area im willing to buy a set for $75; email me at kujio@yahoo.com

Jimmy D
Unregistered guest
I got taken but for $300 in Denver, Colorado. After looking around at other speakers I noticed that the drivers are crap and so is the connection point but the actual cabinets aren't too bad. I think I would be able to replace the drivers/tweeters and have a pretty decent set of speakers. So how much do you think they are really worth?

Hey 'thissuckshard' I know your pissed off and all but don't do anything that'll land you in jail. I hope you're just saying that. They're only speakers. I've been there for the same reason 'Self Defense'. The Judge just laughed at me and I didn't have the money to pay for a fancy lawyer. They don't call it the slammer for nothing, brother. There's other scams out there much worse than this, consider yourself lucky.

ricanray
Unregistered guest
You have to hand it to these scammers. They really do their homework and feed off people's GREED. I am from NY and I have been caught in a couple scams. You would think that I learned from my mistakes but I guess not. I brought the TR-501 from the "White-van" special. GREED...didn't even need any speakers. GREED took over my rationality. The bottom line is if it sounds too good to be true...then it is. I just pray to God that they (who ever it might be next time) don't stop me to sell me anything. They will get a rude awakening. Good scam on me, so it's all good the first time but don't let it happen again cause I'll steel their equipment and their fu@k&^g white van. Peace

Jeffbro
Unregistered guest
Got scammed today out in San Luis Obispo, CA. One white guy and one mexican guy in a white van. They must have 16 of those things in the back. They were sellin TR-6030 systems. I payed 280 but man I should have listened to that voice in the back of my head say'in man you should not be buying this. But anyways one guy came with me to get the money and when we got back to Home depot his buddy was tryin to scam someone else and he had gone off so I let the guy use my phone to call his buddy and I just now thought to get the phone number he entered in my phone. It was 213-925-8795. I don't really feel like calling but if someone here does feel free to.

S75-9M3
Unregistered guest
Here is the MO on the idiots in Jacksonville Florida. Two white guys in a white or beige Astro van Licence plate: FL S75-9ME. They stopped me while I was driving. Don't get caught. If you are reading this you already have. Sorry and join the club. Something needs to be done.

Anonymous

http://spkrmn1.blogspot.com/

Yojimbo
Unregistered guest
Even though I bought them that blog is hilarious. Looks like they have alot of fun ripping people off making us think we are getting some super expensive speakers dirt cheap for the price they are really worth. I learned my lesson. Buy yeah why do a job if you don't like it? Looks like these guys are having fun and making tons of cash. Wish I could say the same. But I'm just a yojimbo.

Anonymous

cousin got the tr 505 off this dude in a parking lot yesturday. 350$. the dude selling this pile of shi.t said he worked for a delivery company and the company straight up gave the speakers to him to keep bc a customer didnt want them. so my cousin buys them. i come over and try and set them up. took us about two hours ro realize these speakers DO NOT put out 2000 watts. they do not work with a tv well. you also have to have a dvd player that runs 5 cables for the speakers. i have never seen or heard of someone making faulty a.ss equipment and selling them under a msrp of 4,999.99$. If you ask me this world is full of a bunch of terrible people that only care about themselves. I dont understand what happend to the sympathy in the world. No one cares!

Reinhart
Unregistered guest
The speakers wouldn't handle 2000 watts. But, they would catch fire if that much power were pushed through them.

As for not working with a television well, I assume you mean that the speakers were not magnetically isolated and the speakers, or rather the permanent magnets on the drivers, are screwing with the image purity and beam convergence, affecting the color accuarcy of your television whenever they are placed near it.

And, it sounds like that the speakers that were bought were a 5.1 set? You'd need a multichannel surround receiver or amplifier(s) to service all five.

The source would supply a stereo feed to all but the center if the receiver or preamp is set to do so, a matrixed surround track from stereo for all speakers (Dolby Stereo/Surround, Dolby Pro Logic I and II, Chace Surround, Ultra Stereo), or a digital surround track with discrete channels of up to 6.1 channels (depending on format and programming), also for all speakers (DTS, Dolby Digital, DTS-ES, Dolby Digital EX, Multichannel MPEG).

The sub is likely active and is driven by its own internal amplifier.

If the sub is passive, then the sub's second order crossover would have to take the power feed from the two fronts to drive the woofer and then pass the feed back to the fronts. The fronts would be connected from the sub either in series, which increases impedance, or parallel, which decreases impedance. Of course, you can just dedicate a channel from an amp to primarily run the sub.

As for why white van products have such a high MSRP? That's to get people to buy for $300 upwards to possibly even $1000, significantly below the MSRP but still actually far more than what the speaker is truly worth or would really sell for if put into actual retail sale at a store. - Reinhart

Yojimbo
Unregistered guest
Of course. You wouldnt buy it for $300 if they told you they were worth $500. They gave me a super high price so I thought I was getting a super deal at only $300.

I had a Air Conditioning guy from Moon Services in Delaware do the same thing. After talking to me for 3 hours he finally gets down to the price and after I told him how much I wanted to spend earlier he shows me a AirConditioning system 3 times what I wanted to pay. I say NO! Then he shows me a system that is the price I wanted to pay.

I asked him why he just didn't offer that price in the first place. He asked me if I wanted it I said NO and get out my house. Wasted 3 hours of my life on something that could have taken 20 minutes. He was trying to get me into paying more for scam guarantees and all. Just give me a price.

I think the speaker guys do the same thing. Show you a high price first to get you to settle on a lower price without negotiating thinking your getting a deal. Plus he tried to pressure me into signing up right there without shopping around. Saying he would give me a further 5% discount if he signed me up that night. Those are the guys to watch out for because they will try to charge you $12,000. Organised Scammers.

Reinhart
Unregistered guest
Exactly.

People see the MSRP and then they hear of the price that the sellers are willing to let the goods go for.

There are people who think "bargain" as opposed to "why." There are also people who think that they can try to resell the speaker at a higher price and make a quick profit. The scammers know this kind of psychology exists and do take full advantage of it. The only weapon against this emotional tactic is logic and reasoning.

Part of the problem is that most people never take major purchases seriously enough. Major purchases should always be treated as an investment, not a splurge.

In regards to A/V equipment: serious research, auditioning, and comparison must be done to make a good choice.

After all, that equipment must be worth what you paid for and it's something you've got to live with for years. With those points in mind, it pays to have something that is what it's claimed to be, is what it's actually worth, and does fulfill what you need and want. If something doesn't satisfy all those conditions, then it's really not a worthwhile purchase.

And, there are people who were victims who had the thought of walking away, but ignored that thought and went with the sales pitch anyways. To those people: trust your instincts next time. Sometimes, your guts will know more about a situation than your mind does. - Reinhart

millionair
Unregistered guest
Yea, Guy from tempe, were they in a white like SUV.? The guy gave me his number.....602-486-3637. i guess its no scam, they are providing a product for a price. I say its a lie, There saying its MSRP for 3000 but really its only worth about a couple of hundred, if that. I thought i was going to make money on ebay. I likedthe thread that spoke about product. You dont' know your getting a bargain if you don't know about the product. A fool and his money soon part. Brigham Young said that.! Well im just trying to make some ends and fell for the MSRP pitch when they showed me the magazine. funny thing, is i went to barnes and noble they didn't have the magazine. The website couldn't be found for the magazine. Barned and noble called all 3 of the closest stores and that magazine egear couldn't be found. Thier pitch sold to me because of my own greed. I didn't want speakers, but i wanted the deal to make money on ebay. I take it back, im not greedy. Im just trying to get by. i consider myself an entreprenuer. When an opportunity presents its self take it. It was presented as an opportunity!! so i took it. I was lied to about value. Thats where i lossed... If we all tell the truth we will all be better off. You can look in any history book. The civilizations that do good to each other progress and prosper. honesty and truth will definitly help everyone out!! in the long run..... tell the TRUTH!! I bought the speakers for 1000. MSRP 3000, actually worth $250(max)

Info from Alex, MN
Unregistered guest
I just want to say wow, these guys have sold alot of speakers. I know they have been to Alexandria, MN at least 3 times. They have sold to 2 of my friends and overheard another guy at the bar talking about the same story. I don't know how they get all these speakers or make them but they sounds busy. I found when I put some serious power to my friends "professional" speakers they sounded pretty good and got me in trouble, but my other friend has the "home theater" speakers and from what I heard they are not as great. Oh well, my one friend payed $600 and the other $200. I payed 1G for my Paradigm Studio 100's (new), now thats a real deal!!!

shiver
Unregistered guest
what cables do you need to hook up the Theter Research TR-2810 to your tv? I NEED HELP!!!!!

Anonymous

OK, so from what I'm hearing is the cabinets are potentially an OK product but the cone products themselves are suspect...

(BTW I was approached once about 14 years ago when I lived in Florida, but never bought)

If anyone knows or has examined them up close, what kind of materiel are the cabs made from? MDF with a decent veneer? MDF with a crappy veneer? Particle (if so, that's a crap-tacular design).

If I did want to get some of these speakers, what would be a "reasonable" amount of money? It seems $ 100.00 per is the 'typical' low amount anyone has spent; what about $ 50.00 each? Is this a decent price for some garbage products?

Finally, if I did get the speakers & wanted to swap out the cones & other internals, what's the best online resource for good parts?

Thanks, y'all, & I'm happy that some of you didn't get taken but sorry for those who did (BTW, as others stated, I do think the only "scam" is that they were misrepresented as $ 3K or more in value. However if someone did tell you "these have sold for as much as, etc.," but if the catalog they are using in the pitch is a fake then this is where the potential illegal activity is coming from).

As for the taxes situation, it's someone's responsibility to pay sales taxes but the end user doesn't have to. I'm a roofing contractor & pay sales tax on the shingles & other parts I buy, but I don't add a tax surcharge to my customer's bill; this amount has been included in the price. Like when you buy a beer @ a nightclub for a rounded up dollar amount.

Good luck to all in getting $$ back if you want it.

To the a$$hole in Vegas: Karma is a bi+ch & it won't be too long before some brute 3 times your size decides to break your nose. We're all hoping for the day.

Reinhart
Unregistered guest
The cabinets are usually made of particle board.

There is no internal structural bracing and there is no internal insulation.

And, as you've suspected, the core components (drivers, crossover, etc.) are not what they should be, given the speaker's advertised MSRP.

I wouldn't bother with the enclosure with white van speakers. You're better off making your own enclosures than using white van speaker enclosures for building your own speakers.

And for the guy that paid $1000 for a set of Paradigm speakers: you certainly did get a bargain as Paradigms are worth their weight in gold. - Reinhart

Anonymous

Reinhart,

Appreciate your commentary. I am aware of the MDF design primarily since I worked (for a short time) for a company who supplied high end veneers & materiel to cabinet & furniture makers in the Central Texas area. We also had a few stereo shops - automotive - & this was the basic idea in design. Is MDF the 'proper' way to make a cabinet or is there even a better way to build them? Better as in quality or better as in looking / lasting / quality feel & a true furniture type component?

I've often wondered - is a wood product better due to vibrations where you don't have to dampen like you might with metal components?

On a 'dollar for dollar' basis, can you reccomend a good brand for a great home theater experience?

Also, is the THX designation really all that it's supposed to be or is it more a licensing for $$ thing?

I have picked up the idea that speakers are the start to a good system & THEN comes the receiver (not the other way around)... is this correct?

To recap: Good speakers, good (thick) cables with minimal resistance & a quality receiver / amp.

You could reach me off this forum @ hook_em_texas_horns@yahoo.com if inclined, otherwise I'll try to check back on this site inna few days.

I've looked @ Consumer Reports in the past, but there seems to be something just a tad too 'sterile' about their reviews (then again, science ain't always touchy-feely).

Thanks for your thoughts!

Username: Reinhart

To start off, THX has more than one level of classifications. They have the TAP (Theater Alignment Program) which is to help ensure good quality of the audiovisual presentation at participating theaters for the THX Theater program. In a THX theater, everything must conform to the THX standard. This includes all equipment, speaker positioning, and even the auditorium acoustics.

Then there's THX for the home, which, if memory serves me, originally started as the THX LaserDisc program. This is where, supposedly, THX sets standards for software and then, later on, home equipment for qualification purposes. If equipment meets THX standards for the home, then they can be certified.

However, I have less faith with THX for the home than with THX for the theater circuit as there have been some THX certified crap for the home. Some of Pioneer's THX certified DVD players, for instance, were hardly reference grade as they have had serious issues with excessive edge enhancement and the chroma upsampling bug. Then, there are THX certified receivers by Kenwood ... with dubious engineerng of the kind you wouldn't find on a Sherwood. THX for the home is more of a selling point and a marketing push than a serious quality endorsement. (And, there are some white van speakers that illegally have the THX seal on their products. You are supposed to pay for the right to have the mark, provided that you supposedly earned the right through certification.)

Now, for speaker enclosures, you can basically use any material to make a decent enclosure. It's not just the material, but how the enclosure itself is engineered and configued. Although, denser materials do have their advantages, particularly durability.

The key factor is making a case that will not resonate.

But, since particle board of the kind you'd find in the typpical build-it-yourself furniture kits are cheap, that would be the kind of material used by the white van speaker makers.

Although, there is one company, Vandersteen, who has made what are known as caseless speakers. The drivers, crossover, and insulation are built into a frame structure that's encased with a fabric wrap, so the problems with case resonation don't apply to these particular kinds of speakers.

And, in response to your question about starting with speakers or the amp, it's unfair to place priority to one factor over the other. You can, believe it or not, damage speakers by using an underpowered amp. What happens is that you may reach the amplifier's clipping threshold well before you reach the maximum handling of the speakers if you turn the volume up high enough. A clipped waveform converted into power for the speakers can cause damage to the drivers. So, it's really more about achieving an equal balance between the speakers and the amplification. You can get away with a little bit of imbalance in either factor, but you must be careful not to go too far in the compromise. If anything, it may actually be better to err a little bit on the side of amplifier power. Just make sure that the amp is truly able to reach the rated power level (which pretty much means avoiding most low cost receivers since their power levels are typically exaggerated for the sake of marketing).

It's also good to use decent speaker cables in between, but definitely be wary of some of the audiophile grade stuff. They are generally overkill and are more marketing hype than practical. As long as you use a cable of sufficient gauge and made of good materials (good insulation and oxygen free copper) and as long as that cable is not allowed to be coiled up in one or more spaces, it will be okay. An extra measure that will help with your speaker connections would be to terminate the bare wire ends with bannna plugs or spade connectors. Either that, or tin the wire ends with solder.

As for what speakers are a good value, there are actually quite a few. Polk, Infinity, Cerwin-Vega!, JBL, Klipsch, and Axiom are some choices to consider. Some of these manufacturers do have some expensive models, but they also make entry level and midrange models that are also very good.

Plus, if you wish, you could also entertain the possibility of buying used equipment. For instance, my stereo mains are a set of Optimus Mach Three speakers, which were purchased used and needed a refoaming (which was done). They are pretty efficient and have a very good response typical of good three way speakers, even though they are RadioShack speakers.

But, always research and audition before fully committing to a purchase.

As for Consumer Reports, I never really care for their A/V reviews. Sometimes, they don't even know what the heck they're talking about! - Reinhart

Josch
Unregistered guest
Well, I got sockered in as well today in North Atlanta Georgia, Alpharetta to be exactly. Two white young (in their twenties) men that were in a rush to deliver them to the Country Club of the South.

Why did I get into this? And why did I pay $400.00 for this crap? I don't even need speakers and thought that this must a great opportunity. But these TR-7010 looked all to real and good. Too good to pass, with them showing me their magazines and ultra-high retail prices.

I am upset and angry that I was so dump. Hopefully the law will be on my side when I try to prosecute these two crocks and their red pickup truck.

Let's see, and I am pissed that these unfair sales tactics worked on my. Before today I would have sworn they would not.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
One thing you can try to do is check out this website:

www.scamshield.com

Look for any reports about white van speaker sales in your area. Some of the posters there might have information, such as an address of the actual place that's operating the sales business.

If you do find the place of business, go there and return the items you bought for a refund. If they gave you a receipt, all the better. If they refuse, call your county sheriff.

Do this as soon as possible, preferrably within three days of purchase. - Reinhart

Lozzy
Unregistered guest
Nothing illegal is going on; MSRP is a notional value, Theater Reasearch can make it as high as they like if idiots like you are going to buy stuff from the backs of trucks without checking into quality, sound, integrity etc. If the "salesman" lied (ie cabinet is solid oak, connectors are solid gold etc.) then possibly some trading standards "law" is being broken but saying the MSRP is $3000 or someone paid $3000 is not lying (jeez, someone on Ebay has bid this crap up to $800 as I write). More fool you, call it Darwinism. You are guilty of being idiots at best, law-breaking morons at worst (you bought from the back of a truck and didn't think something illegal was going on?)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
"If the "salesman" lied (ie cabinet is solid oak, connectors are solid gold etc.) then possibly some trading standards "law" is being broken"

Then how about the claim that the speakers are used professionally and can take hundreds of watts? Those are some of the claims pushed.

"You are guilty of being idiots at best, law-breaking morons at worst (you bought from the back of a truck and didn't think something illegal was going on?)"

That's the goal of education here, my friend.

It's about informing people so that they will think twice if they're lucky enough to heed good advice the first time. - Reinhart

Lozzy
Unregistered guest
Reinhart - agreed, this forum educated me as I did a search as soon as I found this "new" brand on Ebay which seemed such a good deal. Very helpful and thanks to all. My comment was directed at those folks who spend their money without doing any research prior.

Are they used professionally; I'm sure there are some professional musicians who used them for 5 mins before finding they were rubbish (there are thousands of professional musicians who aren't rich and famous and buy stuff in parking lots like this crowd)..

Can they handle 100's of watts; sure for about 3 seconds...

ItsaGrower
Unregistered guest
The only real lie is that the warehouse was overstocked and the lie you have to tell you wife when she asks how much you paid for them. But she loves how they look and can't believe I got them for $350 (I eventually fessed up).

I agree with you Lozzy. Plus they don't sound too bad with my $199 Sherwood Surround Receiver (I don't need anything that great anyway). After reading about them here, I opened mine up. They look like they are made from 1/2" MDF with some internal braces and some white insulation. I was expecting much worse like cheap particle board and no cross-over at all. Heck, now I don't feel like I got suckered. Heck, I have a full workshop I might just start making my own speakers. It looks pretty easy.

Robindbois
Unregistered guest
Just bought a pair of Digital research DS 6.1(http://www.trtheaterresearch.com/) 5.1 for 300$ canadian in Montreal (for sell same price!).

I can be reached at 514-909-0883

Robin

what tha?
Unregistered guest
So whats your point? Are you trying to sell them here? Do you really think anyone would be interested after reading the previous posts? Maybe that idiot Kip would be interested in another set.

annonomous
Unregistered guest
well i just bought a pair of the tr-1120's tower speakers...while i was walking into my bank these two guys in a black chevy blazer stopped infront and the passenger asked me if i wanted to buy sum top of the line speakers...i have heard of these guys or similar guys selling speakers from my roomate..i decided to take a look at them lookd really decent and he showed me a price book that listed them at 1599 ...i knew that had to be exadurated but i paid 200 ...all in all i hooked em up and i dont think i got that bad of a deal ...i took the drivers out just to take a look at the quality and the drivers dont seem as well made as they look from the outside but the sound is actually good...id have to say for 200 the price was about right...

Unregistered guest
I am a "starving student" at a university in Alberta..After dropping me off at school my boyfriend came back with this TR6.1 system. Chucked like $350,not a lot for a speaker set. He said that some guys stopped him outside of the bank and of course he was like "oooh what a good deal." Did neone notice that these speakers need a 4 Ohms rated receiver? Well they are expensive. But I don't really care. Hell if they work good F*** it! If anyone knows of a good amp that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, let me know!!

Anonymous

I got stopped on my way home from class last night. They bothered the s^%t outta me. I told em I only had 150 and they gave me 2 tower speakers that I hooked up to an old kenwood receiver and they did not sound that bad. The sub is garbage and there is no crossover, but they look nice and worth 75 a piece. I think the tweeters could be higher too. When I first seen em I was thinking they were good but the good ones are called ACOUSTIC RESEARCH!!! I see all you complaining, who cares its all part of the game. I have bought other things of the streets and came out happy. I guess you win some u lose some, those guys were slick, had logos on their car and company receipts and magazines. These speakers work great in my garage when I am doing work in there. I bought them to re-sell them on ebay but I see a lot of people arent bidding cause they already know. There are still some that bid though. What you can do is buy a good sub and take the old garbage one out then hook up a crossover because the idiots that designed these things did not connect the dual voice coils correctly, so with a good sub and connecting to one voice coil, they would be good speakers. You will not blow them if you connect to one voice coil unless you crank it super loud. Anyways, I got some good looking speakers for cheap, the cabinet is probaly worth more then the woofers and tweeter, but again, who cares, s^%t happens, make the best of it. By the way, this happened in MI, and their shop was in livonia like the guy posted in april. They are still out there!!! I can't belive this has been going on this long

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
"I am a "starving student" at a university in Alberta..After dropping me off at school my boyfriend came back with this TR6.1 system. Chucked like $350,not a lot for a speaker set. He said that some guys stopped him outside of the bank and of course he was like "oooh what a good deal." Did neone notice that these speakers need a 4 Ohms rated receiver? Well they are expensive. But I don't really care. Hell if they work good F*** it! If anyone knows of a good amp that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, let me know!!"

Most receivers that you can buy at places like a "Best Buy" are rated only at 8 ohms up to 16. There are some receviers that will drive a 4 ohm load, but they are typically more expensive.

However, the speakers you bought likely have BS ratings typical of white van products. It is possible that those speakers are not 4 ohms and also most likely have unrealistic wattage numbers.

Your boyfriend could've scored a better deal on a $248 Sony HTIB at Wal-Mart. - Reinhart

Anonymous

I haven't gotten home to try them out but I am feeling stupid. I paid $250 so we'll see how they work if they do

Anonymous

Anthem, Arizona

I cant believe this. First off i guess this is my fault for being so stupid to buy something like this. Anyway I pulled into the bank parking lot to go make my deposites and two guys in their 20's pulled up next to me in the pimped out suburban and asked if i wanted a home theater system. Since i was in the market for one i asked him how much. He told me that they had 3 boxes extra and showed me an invoice for a "DR. SO AND SO", a magazine ad, and the list price of $2000.00 so i thought it was a good deal and bought it for $340.00. IDIOT!!! I got home and hooked it up, the satillites work ok but the subwoofer sounds like crap. Maybe i wouldn't have bought this if the guy hadn't told me that all i needed was a dvd player and i was ready to go, what a jerk. Lesson learned, only buy things from legitamate sources.

cody from bc
Unregistered guest
^ idiot is right buddy. U were so greedy for that deal that u didnt even read the box u gave him 340 for a product u knew nothing about, he coulda told u anything and u woulda believed him.
ur a loser

Username: Tyranny1

H*E*L*P TR-7010

Was wondering if anyone out there can give me instructions for setting up the TR-7010?
My cousin bought one in Chicago and lost the manual. I tried (unsuccessfully) to set it up but it wouldn't work. Seems to me that if you are setting up 5 speakers there should be connectors for all 5? There are only 2 connectors for speakers, then 2 for input2 from amp (line 2) and finally input 1 is an RCA connector.

Questions I have:

1. Do you connect all 4 of the speakers (2 front, 2 rear) to the same terminals?

2. What about the center speaker?

3. Is input 2 from amp for another amp?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please email me if you can help or leave info here.

Thanks Randy

Username: Wanne

Got sucked in too in Phoenix (Glendale actually)...and in the bank parking lot...but only paid $300 for a TR-606. It's really not that bad for me...but not nearly as loud as I thought it would be....nowhere near the 1000w it says it is...but actually sounds pretty decent. My question is this...it has an integrated receiver in the sub...can I buy an amplifier to hook up to it to increase the volume (without blowing it up)? I also want to have it hooked up to use it with my cable box as well as DVD...with no luck yet. Any suggestions?

I'm just glad I didn't pay an arm and a leg for mine. But after finding this site...they used the same story about extra shipments, magazine ad, doesn't want my boss to see them, blah, blah, blah....

Silver Member

Post Number: 114
Basically, for those who have bought these things already: take it as a lesson and spread the word to educate others.

For those who haven't yet: buy your equipment from a reputable store and make your choices by researching and auditioning. - Reinhart

CHINA'S FINEST
Unregistered guest
I sell speakers on the street.
"WHOOPIDEE-FRIGGIN-DOO." Get over it.

www.burckhards.com

Unregistered guest
looking for speakermen in Europe, Australia, South Africa, and South America. Will pay top dollar for verified information.

Dmac
Unregistered guest
Sounds like in most cases people actually didn't pay all that much for the system and when they brought it home it worked and the quality was pretty consistent with a system of that price. Sounds to me like the only scam here is that people were dumb enough to believe they were getting a system that sells for thousands for a fraction of the price. If you got what you paid for its not actually a scam just because you thought you were getting more than you paid for. A street salesman is not that much different from alot of salesmen in stores.

Anonymous

ok i bought into the parking lot sale I bought tr 8010 for 500 out of kansas city from two guys newer suburban blah blah. so i hooked them up and they work but still want to get rid of. any suggestions?

Nickyfrmvegas
Unregistered guest
YA get a van and sell the fu ck out (STFO) lol

OH YA PAY YOUR TAXES!:-)

Anonymous

you know i got to hand it to them, they were pretty good and i thought i was a hussler we all got to get fu**ed sometime i just wish i was lubed

not fuct
Unregistered guest
hey, nicky haha glad to waste your time today in chandler az. what a joke i had to sell books door to door one summer work on your pitch buddy...sorry to the rest of you guys
beer money and saying your from vegas closed the deal why dont you just say your "trust me" next time..

Native American
Unregistered guest
WANNE & ANONYMOUS IN ANTHEM ARIZONA,

Was it a Black Surburban with 20 or 22inch chrome rims with a huge subwoofer in the back and the driver named Derek claims he's from Awhatukee? Anyway, he got me at Danny's Family Carousel wash on Scottdale Rd & Frank/Lloyd Wright. Showed me invoice & magazine. Made him open up boxes to make sure product was in there.
Suckered me for $300 for the TR-606. My girlfriend got the licence plate just in case they didn't work. Got home and hookep them up. Man they look awesome in my apt. They sound great but the sub does not work when in surround sound mode when watching movies via Cox Cable. Fuse is not blown. Sub works when Radio is on though. Anyway, Was had in Scottsdale/Paradise Valley Area.

Username: Wanne

Hey Native American...Yeah...that was him! Shoot me an email.

Anonymous

sounds like Phx, Az is getting hit hard... I got it in the culo in Gilbert... same ole song and dance... this is a pretty good scam... I didnt need a theater system but I was thinking it might be better than the one I have... So I got took for 300 for tr-505 from a white guy in a clean grey chevy trailblazer with rims. I almost walked away but thinking on taking a chance for 3 bills. Took it home, looked on the internet and their is even a website that shows it with inflated prices msrp $4500. I started trying to get reviews from other sites and could not find any. Thats when I found this forum. He got me, it was a good one. Fake magazines and everything. Every one remember, if it sounds too good to be true... it is. A system worth thousands for 300 im a sucker.. i just thought they were stolen... I guess thats what I get. I knew better. They sound okay nothing spectacular. Everyone just remember, when you think you are buying stolen speakers out of the back of a shady guy's SUV make sure its a name brand you recognize. Sony, Panasonic, Onkyo etc. dont take a risk at "Theater research" name brand. To all the people who feel they got ripped off like me... hook this system up in your patio or bedroom or garage as a reminder to not buy things out of the trunk of somebodies suv....

nickyfromvegas
Unregistered guest
lol dude are you smoking that mexi swagg

HAVE NOT BEEN IN PHX IN 5 YRS. We have no vans or suv"s at this time. However i do know alot of BAD A_S_S speaker guys out there,so i bet you its 1 of my buddys.

SO take it easy grab a beer and tell your mom to get me a beer and pop in a movie of your choice
and have fun with your new bad a-s-s true surround sound unit:-)

suckerbme
Unregistered guest
nicky I havent smoked anything in a while, it might be one of your buddys and he has a good rap and hustle. Hey if I didnt have a job I would probably be hustlin speakers amongst other stuff out the back of my vehicle too... people gotta earn. The speakers work, so i guess it could be worse.

Anonymous

nicky I havent smoked anything in a while, it might be one of your buddys and he has a good rap and hustle. Hey if I didnt have a job I would probably be hustlin speakers amongst other stuff out the back of my vehicle too... people gotta earn. The speakers work, so i guess it could be worse.

Username: Chadjones99

Az

hello, well i might be the next one ont the got scamed list.. i just bught the TR-6030 system.. guy show me books with add for 2800$,etc and it was out of a back of a van and gave me a song and dance anyway he want 500$, but i said i was not really looking to buy this kinda thing, but anyway i gave him 150$. i knew that the 2800$ msrp on the box was BS but figured any 5.1 system was going to be over 100$ anyways so. is this just a fake, is the real system high dollar, or is the real TR-6030 junk ? and how bad did i get ripped ?
thanks chadjones99@direcway.com

Az

p.s. i was in avondale , arizona. guy was in a blue mini van with CO tags

Az

look on the upside.. someone will get a gift this year and think you really spent alot on them..hhahah now who is the sucker

Anonymous

I am going to give the guy who sold me a couple of tr-1620s in Cheney, WA a gift if i find that SOB.

johncuesak
Unregistered guest
2 WHITE GUYS...2 WHITE GUYS...ETC....It goes to show you that BLACK guys are not the real THUGS like the media portrays! This site is hilarious. I haven't laughed this hard in years...I got suckered paying 200$ for Kings of Comedy concert tickets...I would have gladly paid an extra 200$ for crappy speakers if I knew that I would laugh this hard reading this site. I'm a black man from Detroit and I paid 200$s for the tr-504...WELL Worth it!!!! I'm sure if you had the money laying around to by speakers on a whim chances are you were going to blow the money anyway...so to all the poster pissed off GET OVER IT or find a Scam that's legal similar to the price of Gas.

Unregistered guest
two dudes in Austin. One gave the name bryan, same story as everyone else. I got scamed but dont they realise that once they've done that enough times they're bound to run into someone who recognizes them and is pissed off like me who is gonna beat that little blonde face to the ground. Bryan (of whoever you are) better hope we never meet again bro cause if we do your gonna need to cough up alot of that scam money in medical expenses. See ya soon.

Nickyfrmvegas
Unregistered guest
Fox 12 news great no comment lol

AustinTX
Unregistered guest
just got nailed for $200 in Austin Tx
one mexican kid named 'steve' another viva la bam margera lookin kid named 'derek'
champagne explorer/tahoe
please feel free to contact me

lets get these fools

osquizo@gmail.com

temp1
Unregistered guest
I just got nailed TR-505 at the gas station in San Jose, CA :-(

temp1
Unregistered guest
I just got nailed TR-505 for $300 at the gas station in San Jose, CA :-(

Twigga
Unregistered guest
Does anyone have an actual price for these things?

SALT- PEPER GET USED
Unregistered guest
WELL FU-K, THOUGH IT PISSES ME OFF MORE THAN MOST PEOPLE WOULD KNOW. A BUDDY OF MINE AND MYSELF DROPPED 400 ON SOME TR 7010 THINKING THE SAME AS EVERYONE ELSE. THE GUYS CAME OUT OF A BRAND NEW H2 IN BIG SKY MONTANA AND TOLD US THEY WERE LEFT OVER FROM A HOUSE IN THE YELLOWSTONE CLUB (I WORK IN THE CLUB AT THE LODGE). SO I BELEIVED THEM. TRUTH IS, THIS IS A WELL THOUGHT OUT SCAM. HURRAY FOR THEM THINKING OF SOMETHING THAT COULD GET THIS MANY INNOCENT PEOPLE. THOUGH IF I DO SEE THEM AGAIN, WILL THEY TRULY SEE HOW HAPPY I AM WITH THEIR PRODUCT?

nICKYFRMVEGAS
Unregistered guest
INnocent my A $ $ u thought u were getting something 4 nothing,but u really got exactly what you paid 4. And i own property in POLSON SO SEE YA SOON (not WINTER ANTI SNOW) i DID NOT KNOW ANY 1 WORKED THAT AREA. iTS THE REASON I CHOICE TO BUY THERE....no white van speaker scam LOL BUT I SHOULD KNOW WE ARE EVERYWERE THEIR IS A ATM LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL I WOULD OF SOLD U FOR $600 LOL STUPID COWBOY WITH MONEY YEE HAA LOL SAVE A HORSE AND RIDE A COWBOYS WIFE LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL PLZ WRITE BACK SOON NOW U HEAR LOL

chaser679
Unregistered guest
Boy am I glad I found this website. I saw these speakers listed on Craigslist and emailed the guy to find out the model #, it was the TR-606. Easy to say, Im not going to buy them.
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/ele/118138364.html

chicoloco
Unregistered guest
there selling on ebay for $2000:

http://cgi.ebay.com/THEATER-RESEARCH-DIGITAL-SERIES-LOUDPEAKERS_W0QQitemZ5844198 232QQcategoryZ94904QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Like my dad says, "if it sounds to good to be true..."

Anonymous

a buddy of mine just called and told me he got the deal of the year. "i just paid 300 for a hot theater system, MSRP $6400!" He wanted me to look up this website to see if they were legit. http://www.trtheaterresearch.com/ the site is somewhat legit but i dont think the company is. check it out for yourselves. i think i could build that site in about 3 hours. so as im talking to my friend on the phone i found this forum. this is quite possibly one of the funniest forums around. the story's are great and the emotions that run high from all these idiots, my friend included, are hilarious. keep up the good work guys. too bad these speakers dont set fire to your home while you sleep, it would be darwinism at its best.

n.t
Unregistered guest
i got taken for a TR-6.1 for $350 canadian. I hooked it up to my amp its that bad of a system id buy it again but for no more then $300.

Nemesisx3
Unregistered guest
Hey everyone, just to give you guys the heads up. There are some guys selling some Divinci receivers claiming that they cost $3000 at a "discounted" price of $300. I just looked into their website (www.divincisounds.com) and their products look surprisingly similar to the theater research speakers. Its possible that they feel that the theater research name is burned and now they are going with the "divinci" name. This is pretty smart considering how tough it is to keyword search divinci in a search engine and find any legitimate leads. The guy who was selling them gave me the "I install sound systems in rich peoples house" story' which was an immediate red flag. I told him to go F**k himself. Spread the word and let everyone know before these b*stards get away with it.- Long Beach, CA

Foofykid
Unregistered guest
Cleveland,Ohio yay i think im the frist haha

Sam story two whites guy seemed like they were high or drunk laughing all the time. He told us that hus boss thorw one extra and that he nees to get rid of it. My dad did care he was having fun with the guys bs and it was 20 outside and snowing. Any who it was the tr-505 msrp 4,500 i think. He wanted 500 we got him to talk down to 250 and 5 bucks for beer. I took and pic of his plate (he caught me) but didnt seem to care. He still have yet too hook it up but im sure it isnt bad for 250 bucks. They had shirts-hats-truck that had DREAM WORKS on it. I think its funny we need to come up with a way to f**k them over.

speaker beater
Unregistered guest
to all you speaker selling gangster wannabes

I found 2 of your boys ....

They wont be lifting anything but the nurse call button for quite a while....

didnt even recognize me.....must have been stoned...

just tell them to meet you behind whatever business they are harassing you from (i had nightfall on my side) beat the hell out of them and take their money....

You could say theater research's 'sales associates' bought me several nice new christmas presents and some nice dinners...

take yr medicine punks

quit while yr ahead and can still walk

ya better watch out
Unregistered guest
you are full of s h i t !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

speaker bi tch
Unregistered guest
lol words cant describe what a two faced lil bi tch u really are....U went from a punk to a theif to a lil bi tch in 1 sentence ,,,,,,good job wanna be man! lol lol sorry you had to risk 5 yrs in the joint all because you could not think your way out of a one way street.
wanna be hu? lol YOU KNOW MONEY BUYS ALL GOOD AND EVEIL!next time i hope its me u find .........lol we will see who is real then boy! LOL U SOME BROKE NI GA ON WELFAIR OR MIN WAGE HU/////GOT LIKE 6 KIDS FROM 5 DIF MOMS LOL WHAT YOUR MOM NOT HUG YOU OR SOMETHING LOL LOL LETS C HOW U HOLD UP TO MY LEAGAL 357 TO YOUR DOME///////////THEIF!LOL LOL JUSTIFIED HOMICIDE LOL......... I MIGHT EVEN GET A CHECK FROM THE VICTOM FUND (KILL A NIGA AND GET A CHECK LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL SOOOOOOOO DID YOU JACK YOUR CARSALESMAN THAT MADE $3000 OFF YOUR 5TH GRADE MO FO NO SMARTS A S S LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL AND I CAN STILL HUSTLE YOUR PUNK A S S WITH NO ARMS AND LEGS U ROOK LOL SO WHAT HAND YOU WIPE YOUR A S S WITH? SOOO I KNOW WICH 1 TO BREAK! sO U DONT STILL NO MORE LIL BOY.....DID'NT YOUR MOMMY TEACH U THAT ??????? LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL SPEAAKER EATER .....WHAT CANT HEAR U.....WHAT...CHOKING ON A WOOFER???????WHAAT???????? LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Legit A/V guy
Unregistered guest
You guys are all funny. Ther is no difference with u buying these speakers in a parking lot or a electronic store. I sold Home audio equipment for 2 years at a popular electronic store and i was like the top salesman ther. The only difference is the sales pitch and the location. Ther still speakers that youre buying, they do create sound correct rite if u like them then fine if not then oh well, its a store w/out a return policy. So just remember the best sales are impulse sales. Parking lot or not. I hav to laugh cause, any other time you would try to buy somthing from even a popular electronic store you wood try to negotiate to get the cheapest price even when u kno they cant go any lower. So what stops you from negotiating with ther (street guys) sale prices. Real stores do the same thing with raising prices (msrp) and then saying that they are on sale when ther really not. I think that anybody that buys Bose speakers are getting ripped off big time. And i used to sell them (when i had too) i never recommended them at all. Just when i had to fill the quota. So to be honest go w/ the HTRs they probably kickasss and will last longer (even look better) then Bose!
Later and good luck.
p.s.
good job guys on selling those speakers cause it does take balls really big 1s to sell somthing in general. Let alone som1 on the street.

speakergod
Unregistered guest
nice need a job your hired!

Anonymous

I love these guys, seriously, I bought a the TR-800 from these guys in a white truck like everyone else a while back I paid $250 for it, then getting home finding out about the "white van scam" instead of getting mad because i was a sucker i listed these speakers on a website and within 24 hours I was getting calls for the speakers which I ended up selling off within a day for $720, so overall i was plus almost $500, now i know some of you will say im not better than they are, and maybe you are right, Ill admit that i was a sitting duck and got taken in and yes i did, but hey thats life, i just turned around and did the same and have done it a few more times since then, nice profits and I just wanna thank the guys who started this idea, you guys are geniuses.

NOW HIRING
Unregistered guest
np enjoy the lifestyle ///////// u should look us up u can make up to 1500 to $2500 a week sometimes more...... NO G.E.D needed lol

Anonymous

id love to look you guys up if i knew where you were..lol

Unregistered guest
I found a TR-6030 5.1 setup at Goodwill for $30 dollars and the speakers are Bose and sound great. Althogh im without the remote, it still rocks as is, i just had to turn up all the volumes on my computer, sounds awsome with a Sound Blaster audigy sound card! I would realy like a remote or would like to know what universals can work with it. Ive emailed (Theater Research) Three times in the last 2 weeks and haven't heard a word

Anonymous

714-894-5888 This is the number for THEATER RESEARCH in California. They are the real culprits. They print the outragous price of $2,249.00 on a set of TR-1620 speakers. There is nothing wrong with the speakers IF you pay $100-$200 (as I did - in Phoenix on Jan 15, 2006 from 2 guys in a fancy new SUV - with GPS) for the set of speakers but it is criminal (or at least immoral and unethical) for them to print that fraudulent prince on the box, that is what allows the snake oil salesman to con us. Call that number and complain. I reported them to the BBB in California.

Commonsense
Unregistered guest
That's great. Do you really think you're the first to report them? I'm sure we won't hear any 'I got scammed' stories anymore thanks to you. Riiiight. Get real, these guys are legit.

The BBB doesn't give a rats about a on-the-street deal where the buyer purchased the goods thinking he was ripping someone off 'because they loaded too many'. If you got ripped off you deserved to because you certainly didn't care that you were ripping someone else off.

Get real people. Instead of warning people not to buy the speakers, tell them to stop being such greedy pr icks.

BeWare
Unregistered guest
If you check the BBB site the company has an "F" rating. The worst possible.

http://www.labbb.org/BBBWeb/Forms/Business/CompanyReportPage_Expository.aspx?CompanyID=13144954&sm=

BE AN INFORMED CONSUMER, IF IT SEEMS ITS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT PROBABLY IS.

Commonsense
Unregistered guest
I agree. In most cases you have to sacrifice one thing to gain another. In this case price versus quality. The speakermen have figured out a way to 'persuade' you to see past this by waving exaggerated flyers and magazines in front of you and making you believe you are getting a super deal at someone else's expense. It's not new but it's still pretty slick.

speakermenia
Unregistered guest
ducks ducks ducks thats what u all are !!
hahahaha

rufus P. Buttwipers
Unregistered guest
Hey "commonsense" sure that's how its done but these ducks only come here to whine when someone else tells them they got ripped off. Most of them are happy with the speakers and I have had lots of repeat customers. Funny thing is that they wouldn't know the difference or even care if someone didn't open their pie hole.

Greedy pig, greedy pig...

RTGOODS
Unregistered guest
My girlfriend's father gave me a pair of TR-8210s, which he probably picked up from the back of some van. I hooked them up as my front speakers on a harman-kardon 340 receiver with some real nice surround units and a bose center channel. So far I have no complaints and the speakers sound amazing for the price you guys said you paid. I was about to pick up another pair on eBay when i saw these postings.

The eBay supplier for these speakers is "Warehouse Goods", and I asked them why there was such a price drop from the TR website. Here is their response:

"Let us first thank you for your interest in our products. All of our Theater Research products are brand new in factory sealed boxes. The prices on their website and on the speaker's packaging are what they call list prices. These very high prices reflect what you could expect to pay if you were buying similar speakers of a different brand. Theater Research even went as far as to put a disclaimer on their packages that states those prices do not reflect actual trading prices. If you have any other questions and/or comments please feel free to contact us. Thanks again."

This explanation seems to make sense. Honestly, I love the look and the sound of the speakers. I have not heard much about everyone's experiences with sound quality and durability of the speakers. Has anyone had problems with this?

Please respond

RTGOODS
Unregistered guest
i meant 2810s not 8210s

ExDreamAudioEmployee
Unregistered guest
Dream Audio Works is located in Plymouth, MI. Address is 13101 Eckles Rd. THis address is for a main office of an industrial center. You'll see a big sign that says stop, go inside and they'll give you a complex map and location. They actually go under the name of "Drem Audio". Their direct phone number is (734)-207-0317

How do I know? Recently went ofr one of thier "scam jobs" they had advertised in the paper and went for a weeks of training before I siad, this is absolute BS. Place is shady as hell, bunch of thugs running a sweat shop in there of unloading trucks of merchandise (probably stolen). I seriously think they were all high as hell. Talked about their bar events and partying. They have a computer center in there that they make up receipts and invoices on and order their product brochures fromthe company. I never saw them, but he talked about the many company trucks they had, like new F-250's, Excursions, Denalis, etc, etc. Anyone buying from these guys is getting more ripped off than they think. "Dream Audio Works" pays NOTHING for the speakers that you get sold. Whatever you give them (let it be $50-$1,000's) is 100% profit. 70$ goes to the owner and the 30% gets split up 15% two ways. In trianing they explained how low quality these speakers and electronics really are.. but how they "look" to be as high end of competitors and thus, we could sell them at a msprp about 250.00 or so less than the comparitable ones. SO.. we say $2000.00 MSRP, we'll let go of it for 800.00, you say 500.00, we say cool. Thats 500.00 profit and we unload a pair of guaranteed low quality speakers that you will get stuck with.

DON'T BUY FROM THEM!!

XT.

Kevy
Unregistered guest
Ehhh Got scammed by Dream Audio Too, paid 400 bucks for what was said to be 4,700 dollar home theater speakers. But they do sound a hell of a lot better than my old set up, and can get very loud and still sound crisp and clear, so im not all that mad. Sure im dissapointed, but thats just life, you cant trust everybody.

5.9 Magnum
Unregistered guest
i will go down in the speaker books as first to sell spix for school credits WATUP!

Anonymous

might as well let you know i got scammed too.it was in middletown delaware in front of lowes.no sense in crying over spilled milk,but i figured i would put the word out so people will know where these guys have been.i was suspitiou and told them i was not interested in stolen property.they convinced me it was not stolen but overstock.it sounded alot like a buddy of mine who is a truck driver and now and then he gets more on his truck than what the other co.ordered.the co.that loaded him will not pay him to bring it back,so they tell him to do whatever he wants with it.so i asked them if they will give a receipt and they did.it was a k3 5.1 home cinema.they showed me in a catalog where it was priced for over 2,500.i bought it for 300.00 and they asked me for 20.00 beer money too after i gave them the 300.i really did not need it but thought i could double my money easy.i should have listened to that small voice that was saying"don't do it!"

rest area
Unregistered guest
hey mensos remember me i was the one who rejected your crappy speakers from the rest area near texarcana pendejos creian que me iban a wey ya merito cometieron el error your mistakke was that you do not know how to count money

Anonymous

Quite frankly, all of you who think you got scammed and are pissed off for losing a couple hundred bucks, get over it! Be pissed off at yourselves for being week minded idiots and not having the balls to tell someone NO. Nobody held a gun to your head. All you have to do is walk away but instead you sit there and listen to there speil. And to top it all off, you give them extra money for beer. YOU ARE the dumba55, not the salesmen. Don't be mad at Theater Research or their speakers. I willingly bought a brand new pair of the 2830's on Ebay. I can't get over how good they sound. And for all of you who compare excellent, top of the line sound with the likes of Sony, JBL and other overpriced Best Buy consumer junk, you wouldn't know excellent sound if it slapped you across the face a few times. I've owned Sony, JBL, Klipsch, and others and they were certainly not impressive to say the least. Cheap hollow, non braced cabinets, crappy drivers. JBL's latest powered subwoofer with the 12 inch woofer is a complete joke and definately nowhere close to being worth $399. I had it for a week and gladly got rid of it. Sony's cheap towers don't even have crossovers in them. I had a pair a couple of years ago and opened them up to see what was inside. There idea of a crossover was a capacitor soldered on the tweeter.... That's it. So, if you want to talk about being scammed, why don't you go after the likes of Sony and JBL. As soon as I unpacked my TR 2830's, I took the side woofer out on one of them to see what was inside. The cabinet was fully frame braced and the mids and tweets were inside their own sealed little cabinet. And there was a nice crossover built on to the back of the speaker terminal. Instead of knocking them, you should be listening to them. These speakers are a lot better than you think. They impress the hell out of me. And no, I don't work for Theater Research and I'm not a street hustler. Everything's made in China these days, including the cheap a55 drivers JBL and Sony use. There should be user reviews on these speakers instead of the whining crap like on this and other forums. You people are pathetic. Oh and one more thing, all company's will try to take you for a ride before honoring any kind of warranty that they supposedly offer. Just like someone else said on here before me, you're scammed everyday with everything you buy. Now you can really start crying the blues!

speakers4eva
Unregistered guest
^^ very true thanks.

my life as a speaker man

i started selling speakers when i was 18, i am

now 21 so i have been doing this for 3 years.

the office i work for sells 200 sets a week on

avarage, and i get paid a $10 a set sallary every

friday. i also make $200-$500 a day on the street.

so an avarage week is $3750. Now it could be less

and it could be more. The company also rents me

a brand new 2005 SUV every week that i work.

The owner of this company is my old friend so he

lets me work whenever i want as long as im tehre

for the whole week so i only work about 2 weeks

out of the month. The rest of the time i spend

partying, traveling, gambeling, and relexing at

my boat with friends, and thats a story of a

succesfull speaker man.

Username: The_chosin_one

Here, Cali Usa

Most speakerman, are fleas, and work all day long to make there company rich, they get nothing, yeah you get drugs and ho0kers, but your owners have house's stocks, $$$$, your pay in is 220-320 depending on who you sell for, man go independant, you can get these for 80.00 from glen smith, your owner is plmping you, your a speaker wh0re....you sell speakers, then give the money to your plmp...your a flea

Username: Boosted117

Emmaus, Pa Usa

I'm so sick of reading about all the people that got ripped of cuz they bought theater research speakers out of a white van.why would anyone buy speakers out of the back of a van. I just bought a set of theater research speakers 1621/1620 system and these speakers are not junk ,Are the worth the$2,249 the list for no but they are $435 I paid for them on ebay they didnt fall apart&do have real speakers in them ,they do have real crossovers in them ,they are made with MDF and they sound just as good as anything you would buy from BESTBUY for a lot less . I found this website and for the mostpart everyone complains about them .Does anyone actully listen to them they really sound pretty good.And everyone else who bought them from the guy I got them from on ebay was also happy all you gotta do is read the feedback thousands of people cant be wrong and these are real people who bought real speakers and got a pretty good deal. so to all the unregistered guest out there grow-up and get a life and to anyone else outthere if you dont own them or never heard them dont comment on them!

speakers4eva
Unregistered guest
i get a $10 dollar a set sallary. My office sells 200+ sets a week thats at least $2000 ontop of street cash and a brand new truck.

Filder
Unregistered guest
I agree with Jason. Listen to the friggin' thinks and then comment. Most of you morons haven't even hooked them up but here you are moaning like a b!tch that got one up the sHHitter.

have i been had
Unregistered guest
i bought 2 Digital Research towers with 1.5oz weed, i'm not sure how i feel about it but it was my first weed growing attempt and i had picked the seeds out of the bud so i think i scammed the scammers (: they are rated at 400 watts, built in 10 inch sub, 2 6 inch speakers and 1 tweeter per tower. they are a cherry finish (compressed wood) and when played sound suprisingly good. if they continue to function as they do now for at least 5 years i'll be happy

the opp cost of 1.5 oz of fluffy weed however is around 550 if sold in eights, but like i said it was actually seedy bud worth prolly 400 total if sold in eights, significantly less if sold as an ounce.

so do they get these speakers on the front or what? i was wondering if they were gonna give their boss some weed to pay for the speakers hahah

The similarities in the stories across N. america are amazing as these guys also requested "beer money next time i see ya around" and stuff like that. I must say i didn't believe the story for 1 sec, but the fact that they "were in a huge hurry" and that they want to "get these boxes off the top" (of their suv) and that they had several in factory sealed boxes lead me to believe they were stolen and this was a now or never deal i think the goal of their pitch is to make u think they are stolen cause anyone in their right mind is gonna be thinking scam or stolen right off the bat.

Username: Lmnopqwerty

i was recently scammed out of $480 for a pair of dr-1620's. Like you frgo i thought something was up so i wrote down the license plate number of the vehicle. luckily for me my mother is a deputy sheriff dispatcher and she ran the license plate for me and she ran the phone number of the kid who scammed me. well now i have this dips#@$%ts home address and i am getting what's mine. Anyway frog et all, there us hope...contact the local authorities and say this because doing so makes them liable and leaves you out of the clear and in the right: "i thought they were legitimate salesman and that i was getting a good deal because i know a bit about speakers and thought i was getting a great deal. when i went home i looked up the ACTUAL value of the speakers and discovered that i had been scammed, i also found this website and found out that this is a nationwide scam." by doing this you leave yourself free because you did not say that you knew they were extras and you open up the opportunity for a civil lawsuit because you entered in a civil exchange. this means you can take that piece of d1ck to court and let them get ehat's coming to them and make sure that you get ehat is yours. lastly, this seems to happen at a lot of banks, as such they have cameras and are more than willing to cooperate with you THEIR CUSTOMER so that you feel "safe" going there. the key thing to keep in mind is that you must stick to your story and lie the whole time in court and elsewhere just like these f!@#$ers do so that you get what is absolutely deserved and that they lose out. ALWAYS WRITE THEIR LICENSE PLATE DOWN. even if it comes back as a rental vehicle as mine did, you can still get the name of the company and get theirs in turn....you can even lie and say that you think that they sell coke out of their rental vehicle. fight fire with fire. lastly, always always always get a phone number because you can pay $8 like i did and get even more information such as: home address, parents address, e-mail address, phone numbers, criminal records, etc. the point is is that even the best scammer cannot conver all of these aspects and are likely to screw up somewhere. don;t give up and take a chance, you will most likely get what you deserve.

Username: Youknowwho

what do u think your the first genious to try that stunt?..... lolAnd while u do say civil suit..can you say $5000 dollar retainer....u fu cking noob..and thats only if you go to arbatration(minni court) you could easly add another $5000 when we take you to trial and counter sue for wrongful prosecution and defimation of character and what ever else we can think of......lol we have been doing business (leagaly i might add) for over 30 years..so that means before you had pubic hair...u do the math.......7.5% sales tax x $400,000 a mo = $30,000 a mo in sales tax......now with all that in mind ..dont you think it would be easier to focus on the war on terror or maybe the gas prices or maybe even the way that the homeless are treated......but to put your hand on a bible and swear to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help you GOD!!!!!!!! and if you dont belive in GOD how about (perjury) that should cost you a few days in county and a stiff fine....+ the money i sue you for .lol so all that for $400.00 and not to say the fact you thought you were ripping some (BOSS) off...so is that why you want to lie in court? .because you know what you really did!!!!!!!!!!

Username: Creater

i need more people STFO i change the way to sell make more money i've been doing that five years leave your contact details to join me

Username: Stfo101

BRO U CREATED NOTHING >>>>>>>>>>>>IF YOU SOOOOOOO GREAT........WHO THE FU CK ARE U AND HOW MANY OFFICES DO U HAVE AND HOW MANY TRUCKS DO U HAVE RUNNING??????NOT AS MANY AS US!!!U SHOULD JOIN US !!!!!!!SAN DIEAGO L.A SAN FRAN LAS VEGAS AND SOON TO BE PHX........HOW ABOUT U??????????????????

Username: Twista32j

Trenton, NJ USA

MY STUPIDITY-Same story heard all over the US, but I was a lucky one. I bought these crappy speakers from two 20-something yr old white guys in a light grey van. (Leaving the location anonymous). Same story, extra speakers, need money for the t*tty bar..etc. Got hustled, thought I had bought a great system for my pop's B-day. I trusted the guy and didn't think he'd do me dirty. I paid him over $400 for the speakers. Thought I got a great deal.

HIS STUPIDITY-The guy gave me a legit cell phone number. I went home and looked up these speakers and found information on the scam. Called the guy back and told him I was soooooo impressed that I wanted to buy more and asked him to meet me at the same spot that he had sold me earlier. Went back (carrying my best friend, a registered glock I bought while in the army) and was followed by two friends. The dumb-@ss and his boy actually came back to meet me. Long story short-I deposited my money back into my bank account 45 minutes later and we were the one's with extra "beer" money that night.

MORAL-These guys are greedy, if you read this you can outsmart them and try to get them to come back and when they do tell your boys to hideout nearby and get your money back, BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY! Screw calling the cops, they won't do shyt anyway.

Username: Jurassic

does anyone know about the elite audio 6040 (that's what is says on the box), but made by theater research? i found a number for theater research (714) 894-5888. i made the mistake to buy these off a guy in a home depot parking lot in cypress,ca. without doing any research. he gave me his phone number and won't give me a refund. (i did not expect him to, but thought i'd try) i did pay $300 for them. i have not hooked them up yet. does anyone know how they sound or if anyone wants this system for $300, let me know. i have been reading all the posts for the past day and i accepted the fact that i did buy them and i have to deal with it, either i keep them or try my best to get rid of them.

Username: Sidspeakerman

I have been a speakerman since 1989. I have had many repeat customers. The product has improved greatly over the past 5 years. Buying wholesale and selling retail isnt a scam. Tire stores sell you 2 tires and give you two free. Similar pitch ... hot dogs at the BAll park 6$ ... hot dogs at Aldi foods works out to 10 cents each. It is called capitalism folks. ... the Bose speakers that so many people like to tout. they sell in the store for $1000.00 I got news for you, with Bose buying power they are paying around 100$ a set; 1000 percent markup. But with Bose advertising you have been brainwashed that they are good. They are actually just average... Paying thousands for any speaker is a scam! Being a shrew haggler and getting your speakers from a speakerman for 300$ is a fair deal .... The only people whining about speakerman speakers are the ones who read something on the internet or had a buddy tell them they should be mad. The people who take them home and hook them up are going to be satisfied. I have the product in my own home.... ONce again I repeat. I have literally had numerous repeat buyers. Bottom line, you cant please everybody

Username: Anon1234

Add me to the list of suckers....

I was exiting the Abbotsford Costco when I got approached by two males in their mid 20s. They told me they had a deal on a TR-6030 home theater system, and made me an offer I could not (but should have) refused.

in the end I got taken for about 300 dollars plus change. The guys doing this scam knew what they were doing and all their paperwork seemed legit.

In retrospect they had telltale signs that should have given them away. First the guy assumed the sale, and then followed me to the cash machine. He did this to make sure I got the cash and to create rapport with me so i would feel more comfortable about the sale. I did feel suspicious but like I said they knew what they were doing and almost all the signs pointed to them being legit. Incidentally, I tried contacting Theater Research via their phone number, which conveniently did not work.

I have had other scams tried on me before (*cough* primerica *cough* ) but for some reason this flew under my radar. Its a hard lesson, but one I will never forget.

On a side note, if anyone has any contact information on Theater Research, please let me know. And to the guys who scammed me. Nice work! Know this, however, karma is a nasty mistress and eventually you will get what is rightfully coming to you. And I will be there enjoying the show.

Username: Jodr3

I just got a home theater package TR-606 for 200.00. If I can get it to work I dont feel I got ripped off but after reading all the above glad thats all I paid! It looks very nice but the remote control doesnt seem to be working for the revceiver thats built into the subwoofer...which is something Ive never seen before. ANy advice would be greatly appreciated...dont know if its connected properly either. My hubby just unconnected our old Bose system to set this one up...may have to go back to the Bose and may have lost 200.00 but hoping not!!!ANYONE else have the TR-606?

Username: Fame3000

Tampa, Florida Usa

My name should be listed also:

Was walking into the Kmart Supercenter in Tampa Fl today when approached by two guys in a white SUV with a Florida tag (most likely a rental). They gave me the same story and I paid 300. I got the DR-1000. (what's that, have yet to see that style listed on this post) The guys were better nice, made conversation with my 4 year old and also tried to talk to my 8 month old. I have yet to hook these up, I really hope my husband likes them because that's who I bought them for.

Username: Jodr3

I got thru to a number that was given in one of the prior messages...thanks by the way whoever that was...we will see what happens....they asked that I fax the warranty card and someone would get with us in 24 hours. The remote doesnt seem to work. This system has a built in tuner but cant do anything with it because the remote wont change anything..even tried different batteries. They dont seem to have ANY tech support so far as Ive found but we'll see if we get a call back.
Here is that number if you have any problems.
714-892-1802 and fax is 714-892-1803
Its weird they have no 800 number..most companies do.

Username: Mrivers77

could somebody just explain how to set up the theater research tr-6200 home suround sound system. does it even come with all the necessary attachments/wires/cables?

Username: Thxguy

Whoa! Lots of people bought these speakers! You can add my dad to the list. Same story as all the above posted, two guys in SoCal selling $$$$$ speakers for cheap. My dad knew it was a risk and bought the TR 6.1 for $100.

Too bad his wife hates them! :LOL: She wanted something really small for the living room, so they will probably sell them before actually listening to them. But $100 for surround sound....even if its a POS, thats a good deal...at least better than the TV speakers:-)

AND....to all of you that feel scammed......BOO FREAKING HOO!!! You buy speakers out the trunk from shady fools....WHAT THE HELL DO YOU EXPECT??? If its too good to be true, it probably is.

-That is all

Username: Atlantastudent

OK, so in retrospect it seems dumb to have bought from those guys, but my system works. What is the problem with all of your systems? Do they just not work?

Emmaus, Pa Usa

you people are crazy too keep b****ing about this who the f**k buys speakers out of a van i bought mine off ebay the i got them from sells hundreds of them and get all good feedback. This company must have somewhat of a good product cuz they sell thousands of sets and they are still in busness. You think that Theater Research is junk cuz of the bullshit you read on this website when most of you probally got walmart HTIB. So before you comment of t.r. speakers why dont you crack open your sony,kenwood,infinty,or polk and see what kind of crap they put in there speakers YOU CANT BUY HIGHEND SPEAKERS FROM BESTBUY AND CIRCUT CITY just cuz its a big name brand doesnt mean your your getting qualty how much do you think its costs them to build those speakers by the thousands... By the way I also read alot about people saying speakers are cheap if they dont have "thick" speakerwire,speakerwire is not rated by "thick and thin" is rated by gauge and I have never seen a speaker with 10ga. wire it just doesnt happen so just cuz a speaker has 14ga. wire in it does not mean its junk and unless you sending 1000watts to your speakers which no here does you dont need your "thick" wire leave the 10ga. for the car guys whit there 4000watts subs and amps running at 0.5ohms

Username: Carolinaken

IF YOU SELL S_IT-THEN YOU ARE S_IT PLAIN AND SIMPLE. IF YOU WANT TO SCREW PEOPLE,RUN FOR OFFICE. IF YOU WANT TO SCAM PEOPLE,THEN GET THE F_CK OFF THE PLANET.

Username: Justwant2post

this scam is way too organized.. i blame the asian countries.. they are the only ones lame enough to come up with something like this.. no offense to any one from there, or who is asian.. but seriously.. all they do is copy and infringe on the west.. why cant they be like japan and try and make their own good stuff? they have stolen all the technology from the white man anyways.. now build a proper product..

i just cant believe someone would go to this much trouble to do a scam.. if they had spent the same effort on making a proper product.. they would be golden..

anyways. im going to try and off load my crap on ebay.. and try and recoup my losses..

to anyone on here who is dong the scam.. know that there is a price to pay.. and you will pay it.. enjoy the harvest you are planting..

in the east its karma..
in metaphysics/science its cause and effect
in christianity its you reap what you soe..

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 8569
"stolen all the technology from the white man"....
Hey, charles, the Klan just called, you are missing their superior race meeting!

If you want to buy pretty good speakers at a reasonable price ,then look to boston acoustics or even polk audio (the older ones) or maybe a set of Vandersteens if you can run across a pair on ebay with reasonable shipping. If some people see the words DIGITAL or MONITOR,they think of top quality but end up with junk. A well built speaker will be "weighty" because of a solid built cabinet with good cross-over structure and a hefty magnet on the drivers to handle the power and the range 20hz-20,000 kz .When buying a speaker in person,please tilt it back and forth to check the weight and also take off the grills and check for rubber surrounds as well as good solid connectors for reasonabily heavy speaker 12-14 guage wire.THE WORLD IS FULL OF CRAP ! SO,be INFORMED !! Do some homework and the chances are that you won't get ripped off.

carolinaken@msn.com

Gold Member

Post Number: 8584
I haven't seen polk audio, boston acoustics nor vandersteens being sold out of a van. :-)

The speaker "VAN" has been a running joke for years and I am sorry that it still happens.But common sense has to kick in sometime. "VAN" AND " SCAM " DEFINATELY go together. When economy's get bad and people are trying to save all they can,they place themselves in a vunerable position, and they are waiting to take advantage of these circumstances . A special hole should be dug for this scum.

Username: Palehorse

So what about the Divinci Home Theaters that are represented in the same fashion. Has anyone picked these up?? I'm assuming they are of the same quality and could more than likely be the same company. The only difference I see is that on Ebay, there are no Buy It Now prices and all of the bidders hide their identities. ( to jack up the prices i'm assuming ).
Luckily I haven't picked any of these up (TR or the Davincis) cause it did look too good to be true. I'm glad I stumbled accross this site. At least it gives me some insight as to waht these products really are which is SH!T. I feel bad for those of you who got ripped. I almost went in cause of the greed factor but through Ebay and not the Homeboy Shopping Network. Any way if any one has picked up these Divincis let me know if they are the same product as Theater Research.

Emmaus, Pa Usa

Eric Dustin I own a set of theater research speakers and like I've said on many of my posts these are not bad speakers they are very nice for the price. I bought mine off ebay not off the back of a white van like all the others on this post. The guy i bought mine off of is no longer a registered user of ebay his user name on ebay was 92greg so did i just get lucky or are all the other people on here lying you decide but think about this Im a registered user of this forum with all of my info posted in my profile Ive got nothing to hide all the people talking sh*t on here are unregistered users hiding there identity so who is lying!

Username: Palehorse

Jason Harrington--That is a good point. I guess for the price you pay for them (on ebay) it's not really that bad of a deal. I just worry about sound quality and craftsmanship of the components. I don't want to buy a system that is going to crap out on me in a year's time. (who does??) But if they are worth 3-400 bones for a setup then I might try them out anyway because they DO look nice as hell and if they do blow up on me I can always put new drivers in the cabinets...Jason, what reciever are you running on your 1620/21 set?

Emmaus, Pa Usa

Post Number: 5
Eric Dustin, Im running a philips FR965 reciver its from a htib system I bought the tr speakers to replace the small sat.speakers the system came with I think my reciver puts out about 50 to 75 watts per channel and I wanna forewarn you if you like loud movies or music like me your gonna need a reciver with a little more power something with 100watts or more would be plenty. My reciver tends to overheat and go into safemode at really high volume levels,but thats still louder than most sane people listen to movies.Im thinking abouting buying the new yamaha rx-v2600 reciver to power my speakers plus its got alot of other cool features and its 130watts x 7 channels, with that reciver I can biamplifie the front speaker so they will get about 250watts each. And your right if the speaker blow the cabinets are still worth the money and place like www.parts-express.com to get really good replacments cheap.As far as sound quality bass is really good if your not a bassfreak like me then if you got a goood reciver you can get away without a powered sub highs are crisp in my opinon they sound about as good as the klipsch towers that bestbuy sells but the tr has more bass, and as far as looks when friends that dont know a whole lot about home audio come over you will have no prob. passing these off for $3000 speakers they look that good in person. If you get your off ebay pay extra for the shipping insurance I didnt and one of the tweeter housings was cracked but it was an easy fix, make sure you buy from some one who has sold alot of them with no negative feedback so you dont get burned. If your ever in Emmaus,Pa contact me and you can have a listen for yourself thats how much I stand by these speakers.

Jason, I am using a yamaha receiver -rxv-2500 . I don't think there is much difference at all in this one and the 2600 . The rxv-2500 would be a lot cheaper and the specs are identical.

Emmaus, Pa Usa

Post Number: 6
thank you kenneth I will look into that the reason I wanted the rvx2600 was because it has HDMI switching witch is somthing I need since my tv only has one hdmi input and both my cable box and dvd player use hdmi I dont use a cablecard feature with my tv cuz I like the program guide the box has rca tvs have crappy built in tv guides plus I like the fact that the rvx2600 has 1080i upconversion for all inputs so if the rvx2500 has those features as well then I may go with that Thank you .

Username: Gds

yet another victim. Too good to be true I guess. I got the TR Theater Research 2810s for $400. I do agree that they sound actually pretty decent though. What exactly is wrong with them that makes them not worth the money? I am running them with a Sony Reciever and Surround System. Live and learn.

Username: Randomdiggy

Same story as every one else on this page...got scammed for $400 for DR 1620 speakers by a hyper dude in a white Suburban. I saw the bogus magazine add and everything saying each speaker MSRP'd at like $2399 or some bullsh*t like that. I'll see what I can do to redeem some cash for them, or if not then I paid no more than I would have for them from any retail store anyway. Oh well you live and learn I guess. I've only read about this scam happening as far east as Chicago, but I'm hailing from Saratoga Springs, NY, so I guess this is a nation-wide shady business dealing now. I got the license plate # and all that sh*t, but I'm not going to waste my time telling the cops cuz they'll just call me a dumbass, laugh at me, and never do anything about it anyways. F**K me...oh well!

Username: Getareealjobbfaggs

screw you nicky!! 13 years you must be a real low life!Go make some real money fagget.

Username: Jraven

I was offered a set of these speakers and simply used my cell phone to call a friend to research the brand,took two minutes and simply did not purchase them because it was not such a great deal,get smart people

Username: Dgalindo

Did any one has the remote control for a Tr 6030. mines work very well but i lost the remote when i move. I will pay some money... please....you can answerd to this on this website

Username: Shadowraven

i can't believe they're still doing this. they got my naive a $ $ summer of the high school grad, 1999. i think i paid $300 for a pair, maybe a bit more. never used them, gave them to a friend of mine for his birthday. he took them to college and they were stolen. good riddance. Acoustic Response, I believe.

Emmaus, Pa Usa

Post Number: 7
I really find it funny how everyone who complains about getting ripped off never hooks the speakers up. Who the he// spends a couple hundred dollars on speakers and never hooks them up.

Username: Libandi

This is a message from The One who so loved humanity.

He asked me to forward to this to his brothers who scam people on the streets with sub stories:

One could argue that people who buy into your stories could be called 'idiots'...
Or they could be called people who still believe they can trust others...People who have FAITH.

Brothers, you are used by evil not only to fool innocent people but to fool yourself too. Have you ever thought of what is 'karma'?
You conscience is well aware of what you do even if you shut it down. One day, you will be old, sick, hurt, or immobilized in a chair or a hospital bed. The day you are faced with nothing to do but to reflect on your life, even I will not be able to save you from the ever-burning fire. You, yourself will not be able to forgive yourself when you come to realize how much sorrow you have caused innocent people to earn a living. To be be forgiven is to accept others' forgiveness, and the toughest judge on oneself is oneself.

So either heed my message or continue to have fun for now with girls, beer, lies, and a reckless living at the expense of innocent people. It will only last so long as you shut down your conscience which cannot be forever.

Who is the real idiot? The one who is ignorant of evil and is trusty or hopeful of man, or the one that is part of evil and think that the horned one is grateful for it?

Who is the real idiot? The one who loses 500$,...1000$, or the one who loses his Angel Heart?

How would you call the man who thinks he can do bad deed and get away with it when history shows otherwise? You may reply whatever you want now. Whether it is spiteful or loving. I have shown I can take them both.

Beware

The Flesh is weak, Only the soul is immortal... Who will yours belong to?

The One who so loved humanity...

UploadUpload

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12955
WTF???

Username: Surazal

Winston, Nc Usa

got a tr6200 / trvsx-59 recvr /w all six speakers. gold cables and warranty. want to sell.

Username: Mrxbox

Mn, Mpls Usa

i have the tr-1620 and these speakers rock i love them they look and sound awesome in my home theater if i could find the guy who sold me mine i'd buy another pairUpload

Username: Mrxbox

Mn, Mpls Usa

hey guys if you still have a sour taste in your mouth spit it out on the phone theater reseach Tel: 949-355-6008 Fax: (714) 892-1802
Monday - Friday 8:00am - 4:30pm (PST)

Username: Tchmstr

Wahiawa, HI USA

I have a pair of TR-0412 and the TR-7000 5.1 set.
Paid $360, $60 of that was shipping, for the TR-0412s and a brand-new Onkyo receiver with 6 CD changer.
$225 for the TR-7000 set, and I'm powering them with a Pioneer Elite VSX-35TX THX Select Surround Receiver and a Pioneer Elite A-35R Integrated Amplifier, NOTHING to complain about.
Sure, they're not Martin Logans or NADs but for the price, if you were fortunate enough to get a good deal, what's to complain about? Who cares if it's a set of speakers from a van, or a hand-carved piece of jewelery off a street vendor, or a used power tool from a garage sale. If you don't want to damn thing, don't buy it, it's called self control. If you really wanted high end equipment that you could take back if it wasn't up to your expectations, you'd go buy from a store, so you have nobody to blame or be upset at but yourself. True, they come up with some flashy stuff like the mags and website n all, but still, common sense should prevail. And I've seen a lot of people on these type of forums complaining, that say they never even listened to em. In fact, if anybody is interested in selling theirs, let me know, I'll make a reasonable offer if you're got something I'm interested in. Again, I love these, don't care who makes em, and I inspected the TR-0412s thoroughly, and at least as far as the set I got, they're very well made, I've crammed over 500W through a single speaker and they sounded as pristine as ever. Again, seriously, contact me if you're interested in selling.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us