Solution to poor LCD TV sound quality

Username: Texans2

Houston, TX US

Post Number: 1
I have full-up 7.1 Surroundsound setup and it sounds fantastic!
BUT. I'm looking for a solution to casual TV viewing that does not include firing up the A/V receiver everytime I watch TV but improves on the standard Audio of the LCD TV.
Everything I've found so far is either overkill(includes DVD, Subwoofer, etc), or cannot connect to 2 seperate sources.
Currently have BOSE VCS-10 Center Channel speaker right beneath the TV and the ideal solution would be a soundbar that could act as a Center Channel Speaker when the A/V receiver is on -or- as a powered soundbar (stereo only) when the receiver is off. I would replace the VCS-10 if necessary.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 614
Does your TV have something labeled EXT SPKS or similar? If so you could simply wire a pair of decent speakers to those connectors.

Username: Texans2

Houston, TX US

Post Number: 6
Unfortunately the Samsung LN46A550 only has digital optical out and discrete analog audio out (RCA jacks). No amplified output. My thought was to use the optical out to the HT AVR and the RCA connections to some sort of stereo soundbar with active speakers. I hope I'm making sense here. Just seems like a basic problem with alot of flatscreen TV's audio quality. A soundbar type device that would easily connect to the TV out and AVR out and switch between the two would be ideal.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 620
Yamaha makes some great active soundbars, they are a bit pricey but they might well solve your problem.

Bronze Member
Username: Lucky101

HydeabadUnited States

Post Number: 22
Have you tried JVC they are pretty good as well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us