HTB544 vs. HTB???

Jon
Has anyone gotten specs for the HTB model coming out this spring. I've heard the 544 is only temporary. Could 6.1 be next?

Anonymous
I've heard that the Kenwood HTB-544 is a temporary model until later this spring. Maybe Kenwood will make an official announcement soon. It would be awesome if it had 6.1 channels.

Does anyone know if there is any truth to these rumors?

Aaron
I spoke to a kenwood rep today, and he said that the new system is the HTB-505 and is due out next month. The receiver is a bit different, but I do not think that it is 6.1. The most noticeable change is a 120w powered sub vs the 100w of the 504/544. If anyone else has better information, please share.

Jon
I posted a message in the "Kenwood HTB-544 v HTB-504" discussion a couple of days ago. I had an authorized dealer rep fax me the promo sheets they had.
HTB-505
KEY FEATURES:
620 WATT TOTAL SYSTEM POWER
*100W X 5 (VR606)
*DOLBY DIGITAL, DTS, DOLBY PRO LOGIC II
*NEW ACTIVE EQ- BEST SOUND PERFORMACE FROM
COMPACT SPEAKERS
*S-VIDEO SWITCHING
*6 CHANNEL INPUTS FOR DVD AUDIO OR ANY TYPE
DIGITAL SURROUND FORMATS
*NEW AV PRESET REMOTE WITH JOY-STICK DVD
CONTROL

*120W 8-INCH POWERED SUBWOOFER (SW-36HT)
*MATCHED SUPER TWEETER IN ALL SPEAKERS FOR
BEST DVD-AUDIO PLAYBACK
*4" 2-WAY, THREE DRIVER SPEAKERS WITH WOODEN
CABINET: L,R & CENTER
*4" 2-WAY SPEAKERS WITH WOODEN CABINET: SURROUND
SPEAKERS (KS-706HT)

I wish I could list the specs for the VR606, but all they sent me a brief spec sheet for the VR605.

I hope this helps.

Seth
Great. Now you've got me wondering how dumb I should feel for buying the HTB-544 last week....

billy
must be nice can't even find it in Canada (Ontario)if you don't want it send it to me if anyone has any ideas of a place in Canada to acquire these kenwood packages let me know

stephen
Jon, can you post the VR605 specs as I can not even find them at www.kenwood.com. thanks....

Jon
Vanns just sent me a stock notification for the HTB-504(not the 544)...if anyone is still interested. They are asking $499 w/ free UPS ground. I would hurry though, because I'm pretty sure their supply is limited.

Oh yeah...I'll try and find that vr605 promo sheet for you, Stephen.

Jon
For those interested, here are the key features(taken from a promo sheet) for the Kenwood VR-605 receiver:

*100W x 5
*KAM-1 High Efficiency Amplifier Design
*Dolby Digital & DTS Surround Processing with 5
DSP Modes
*Dolby Pro Logic II
*Cinema EQ- Better sound performance for compact
speakers
*96 kHz/ 24-bit D/A Converters
*Digital Inputs (1 Optical & 2 Coaxial)- Auto
Digital/Analog sensing
*Kenwood System Remote Control
*3 Composite Video Inputs
*2 Composite Record Outputs
*1 Composite Monitor Output

Not much in the way of specs, but....

stephen
Your right Jon, light on specs. Was hoping to see something about 'components'. thanks for your time.

Randy
Anyone know prices on the supposed HTB-505?

The HTB-505 will be $500 MSRP.

Rich
This is good info ... I was looking at the 504 until I was sent to Saudi Arabia for 90 days. Saw the 544 then stumbled onto this message board. Allot of things can change in such a short time. looking forward to the 505 coming out ... thanks!!!

Steve
sorry if this has been answered a million times but when will the htb-505 come out?

Anonymous
the htb-505 should show up this month

rob
Is the htb-505 going to have component video in/out? Thanks

Kittipong
Tks you all yr guys for providing these awesome message. I'm thinking about buying a valuable HTB, less than $600 and taking it home,Thailand with me. I was gonna order 504 but accidentally saw these message board. So absolutely waiting for 505.
You think VR-606 would be better than vr-509? Is this a new set of speker too? you think this should be best HTB in market under $600?
Thank you all.....

Anonymous
Does the HTB-544 have better sound quality than the HTB-504?

I think 544 and 504's sound quality should be similar but 544 which use VR-509 as receiver (cost a bit more than vr-507 that use in HTB 504) could listen to stereo recording(cd for example) in a six-channel format. That is what I know for sure.

Anonymous
What's the big deal about Kenwood?

The HTB-504 was given a very good rating in Consumer Reports Magazine, and it is a very good system. As you can see, this message board is being dominated by it, so it is a big deal.

Barry
Has anyone had any problems or annoyances from their HTB-504 or 544 home theater systems?

Todd
I heard that the 544 is this years model to replace the 504 that was last years. the 505 was around last year it has the built in dvd player.

Anonymous
No, thats the DVT-505, the HTB-505 is the supposed to be the next of the HTB-5xx line. The HTB-544 is the same as the HTB-504, but with a better reciever. We've been told it was introduced to dump the stock of the speakers that are included in the HTB-504 package.

Kenwood could use a better naming scheme to help keep the confusion down.

stephen
i know the htb544 and the htb504 are in short supply. i just recreated the htb544 by purchasing the speakers ( same across both systems ) and vr509 ( receiver that comes with the htb544 ) by going to a kenwood outlet store ( mine is in n. plainfield, nj ) 4/14. you can find a list of outlet stores at the http://www.kenwoodusa.com/support/outlet_stores.jsp. despite what the verbage says there you can get phone quotes. thanks for all of the posts ( got a great price on all items including kenwood dv-505, speaker stands, wiring, etc.....

Anonymous
What's the speaker model? how much did you get a vr-509 and speaker for?

Anonymous
If anyone is interested, Denon makes a system. It is the 682xp. It lists for about $699 but Sears will do a price match. I have heard both the Denon and the Kenwood. The Kenwood is a good sounding system but does not compare to the Denon and you cannot even compare the quality between Denon and Kenwood. Try looking at the Denon for a good system.

Jason
Hey everyone I got some news for you. After trying to find out what Kenwood was up to, I called 1-800-KENWOOD and pressed 5,2,1 and then waited for a Rep. What I found out was that yes, the HTB-504 and HTB-544 are both discontinued. The good news: a new model is coming out to retail stores in May (mid to late). It will have ALL the features of the 504 and 544 (ie Black Ash finish, nice $500 price, same compatability, same 100 Watt subwoofer) and all brand new for this next month. It sames there will be little, if any, alterations at all! That is very good news to me (means no on-line auctions or driving to another state). If you wait, it will come to all the retail stores in about a month. Hope this helps everyone.

Anonymous
Jason...It's the HTB-505. Thanks for the post.

Anonymous
Guy....Is denon dht-682xp better than Kenwood HTB-504 or 544? Any comment?

stephen
i got the vr509 for $199
speakers for $250
at the kenwood outlet

Anonymous
SEARS has the Kenwood HTB-504 priced $429.97 and in-stock with manufaturers warranty.

Anonymous
Vanns sent me an email today stating that the HTB-544 is out. They also say that the HTB-505 will be arriving by the end of the month. We'll see...

Anonymous
I was very excited about the new arrival of the HTB-505 but from reading the specs that someone
wrote above, I noticed that he wrote that on the HTB-505's receiver, there is only 1 optical input and 2 coaxial inputs WHEREAS the HTB-544 has 2
optical and 2 coaxial inputs. Was this a misprint? Why would Kenwood cut down the number of inputs by 1? PLEASE HELP ME IF ANYBODY KNOWS !!! Thank you.

stephen
from reading the future specs of the 505, that is why i went to the kenwood outlet store to get the 544, why wait ( the vr509 receiver is sweet )

Why wait?

Because Kenwood only had five outlet stores in the United States, and I don't feel like taking a three day drive to buy a HTB.

Anonymous
Kenwood has put HTB-505 information on their web page but no picture's avaliable......their web page still s_ck as usual.

Kevin Behm
I agree on the website. Not much info, but there is one new note about the HTB-505 that I had not heard before...

"Universal Pre-Programmed Remote: with Joystick Control"

I wonder how that compares to the previous ones?

Anonymous
From an e-mail from Kenwood. The sales rep I talked to said the remote for the HTB-505 would be the same as the VR-509, but from these specs, I don't think it is. Any ideas as to what a VR-606 will be?

The HTB-504 system came with the VR-507 receiver which has Pro Logic 2, CS
5.1 and additional audio/video inputs that the HTB-354 and HTB-404 do not.
The HTB-354 and HTB-404 systems include the VR-517 receiver that is very
similar to the VR-506 receiver, which is also listed on our web site, except
that the VR-517 has a power amplifier built in to power the sub woofer. The
speakers that come in the HTB-504 system are larger, and the sub woofer has
a built in amplifier (self powered), which sounds much better.

After selling through all the HTB-504s, we still had a surplus of speakers
and VR-509s, so we created the HTB-554. The HTB-544 includes the same
speakers as the HTB-504, but the it includes the VR-509 receiver, which
includes: an optical output, component video inputs, IR repeater outputs,
a better remote that uses RF and has the ability to store disc names when
used with the CD-425M, CD-4700M, DV-5900M, and DV-5050M.

HTB-505
Key Features:

*620 watt total system power
*100W X 5 (VR606)
*Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic II
*New active EQ- Bets surround performance for compact speakers
*S-video switching
*6 channel inputs for any type of digital surround format
*New AV preset remote with Joystick DVD control
*120W 8-inch powered sub woofer (SW-36HT)
*match super tweeter in all speakers for best DVD-Audio playback
*4" 2-way, three driver speakers with wooden cabinets: L,R & Center
*4" 2-way speakers with wooden cabinets: surround speakers (KS-706HT)

Anonymous
Wow....VR-606, receiver? Any comment on this component?

Kevin Behm
That's some great info, and the most thourgh descriptions of Kenwood's HTB line that I've ever seen. Considering all the different cryptic models they have released, I don't know why they refuse to put that stuff on their website.

btw- I read the VR-606 is similar to the VR-6050.

JoeF Blinds
I have the HTB-544. Its the first system that I have to lower the bass(-8) to enhance the treble(+8) In STEREO Mode...
use VR-509 Receiver, no THX decoder (the VR-510 has THX). Take a while to master the remote(RC-R0811)control (several 'reboot' made, before i got it right)... www.kenwoodusa.com has no info on this product to this date ...

KIM JONES
I was told the same thing today. The rep at Kenwood told me that was true and they are trying to not let to many people know. What happened. Why would Kenwood go bankrupt. I am now confused and don't know what to buy. Can anyone help.

dan s
onecall.com, now has the Kenwood HTB-505 for sale
& in stock (supposedly) for $500.00

2-Way Magnetically-Shielded Left, Center and Right Speakers with Dual Woofers
8" Powered Subwoofer with Built-In 100 Watt RMS Amplifier
Complete Surround Sound System Including Receiver, Speakers and Powered Subwoofer
Dolby Digital, DTS and Dolby Pro Logic II Surround Sound
Matching 2-Way Surround Speakers
S-Video Inputs and Outputs
Surround Power: 100 Watts x 5
Universal Pre-Programmed Remote: with Joystick Control

Anonymous
I just ordered the Kenwood HTB-505 from vanns.com for $449.00 and free ground shipping. You gotta call them to order it though, it's not yet available on their website.

Anonymous
Ordered mine from Vanns too. They said they got them in Tues 5/7/02, and have 6 left.

Kevin Behm
I don't know what your problem is...

Thanks for the tips about Vann. I just ordered the 505 from them too. Apperently they only have a couple left.

J
One-Call has the HTB-505 in-stock and on sale for $450

Anonymous
WOW JUST ORDERED A HTB-505 FROM www.crazyeddie.com for $399 plus $20 shipping. nO TAX UNLESS YOU LIVE IN N.J. i WAS TOLD PLENTy IN sTOCk.

Quick Question:

Does the receiver in the HTB-505 package have
phono(graph) inputs?

The overall information I can find on the package is
kind of spotty....

Anonymous
Can someone tell us if Kenwood upgraded the wiring for the new HTB-505? What concerns me most about the Kenwood HTB systems is the crappy wiring included in the package. In the past, once you added in the necessary wiring upgrade, this system became $500+ really quickly. I'm hoping this weakness was addressed.

Anonymous
Does anyone that has hooked up the HTB-505 have anything good to say about it? I have one waiting to be shipped to me soon. Is it really that horrible? I thought after the success of the 504 and 544 this would be the bomb! And is all this talk about bankruptcy true? Has anyone heard otherwise?

Anonymous
Alright, I got my HTB 505 from Vanns yesterday, and hooked it up right before the hocky game. It looks like the marketing on this was a bit of a rush job, because there are some inaccuracies in the product literature, and around the web. I'll also try to answer whatever questions I see posted here.

*****Inaccuracies*****
1) The product packaging and the Kenwood web site state that the sub is 100 watts. However, the manual that was shipped with the subwoofer states 120 watts. Either way, I have a very large living room (15' x 17'), and the sub has no problem rattling the knick-knacks off of the shelf (granted I have hardwood floors).

2) The receiver is a VR606. The picture on the box shows RCA type audio and video on the front of the receiver, as well as an S-Video port. The receiver I have doesn't have them. Having them would have been nice, because it is a pain to hook up my camcorder.

*****Answers*****
1) The wires still suck. I think Kenwood put them in the box so they could say they have everything you need for home theater in one box. My recommendation, go to Home Depot and buy a spool of RCA speaker wire (something like 6 gague, it hardly fits in the speaker jacks); its $40 for 100'.

2) I didn't see phono jacks, but I didn't look for them either. You can independently adjust the input level on the source though, so you may be able to use the AUX inputs and crank down the volume. If I were you, I'd call Kenwood support and ask if this is possible.

3) All of the bankruptcy talk is FUD.

*****Personal gripes*****
1) I'm having a hell of a time getting DTS to light up on the display. I have a couple of DTS DVDs and my player supports it, but the receiver insists on Dolby Digital. I'm not sure which is better (DTS or DD), but the sound quality is just fine.

2) The "universal" remote won't control my cable box (even though Kenwood claims to support it), and won't drive my DVD player. The device selection is very limited, I would recommend downloading the manual and making sure the remote will control your device if this is important to you. Its not available online yet, so you may have to call at this point.

*****Overall rating*****
The sound can't be beat. I have a relative with a Sony receiver and Infinity speakers, and this sounds better. I don't know if it is because my speakers are matched, or what, but the DSP modes on this actually sound good. You can hear the dialog without having to worry about waking up the neighborhood once something explodes on screen. Finally, I'm a bass freak, and the 120 watt sub may even a little to much for me (nah!).

Anonymous
Few more questions to whom that just hooked up HTB-505.
1) about Receiver Vr-606? Is it better than VR-509, use in HTB-544? Could u provide more comment about this receiver.
2) What do you think about overall performance of this HTB-505, compare to HTB 504 or HTB 544?

Thank you very much.

Anonymous
beware of what u read....some ppl here are giving out false information

Anonymous
I got the 505 today, hooked it up and it sounded pretty good to me.

504 Owner
Kenwood posted the manual for the htb-505. Looks like a step down from 504/544. Ony 2 video inputs, no component video, only 3 digital ins, no outs. But the sprekers all have tweeters now, so the surrounds are little bookshelf speakers on their own.

tslugmo
So basically what we're waiting for is a side-by-side 504/544 to 505 comparison, to see if the receiver and new speakers make this a better or worse unit, above and beyond the difference in input/output capabilities, yes no? Then we'll know whether we should try to get the last remaining 544/504's that might be hiding around out there, or just go for the 505, eh?

-tslugmo

Bogie
Can anyone tell me what's the deal with "S Video Switching"? The HTB-505 has it, but I don't see it on the HTB-504 Spec sheet. If the S Video switching feature is truly useful to me, maybe I will go with the 505, but I don't know what it does yet. Does anyone find the 2 Optical Inputs on the 504 a big plus? Also don't see a 24-bit DSP Processor on the spec sheet for the HTB-505 - can I assume it is in there too since it has DSP modes capability? The HTB-505 specs also doesn't list a headphone jack, but I think I can barely make one out on the hazy picture they have - can anyone who bought one verify? Lack of component features on any of these really disappoints me, but if end result is great sound and picture at a bargain price, I think I'll be happy anyway.

Anonymous
HTB-504, HTB-544, HTB-505 .... I'm pretty sure one of those has Component video switching. I just don't know which one =) ANy helpw ould be appreciated.

Jason E.
I am so happy because yesterday Vanns.com found 2 HTB-504 units new in one of their warehouses and put it online. With the Memorial Day Sale I got $20 off and free shipping. SWEET!!!! I can't wait to test it out after hearing all the good things people had to say about it. I will post my evaluation of the unit as soon as I set it up.

Kevin
I have the HTB-505... To be honest, I don't know what S-Video switching is. It does have a headphone jack in the front though.

Dark
From what I understood, S-video switching allows you to connect multiple s-video components so that you can switch between them. Without S-video switching you're limited to only the one s-video input on your TV. I find this feature very handy as I have about 3 different gaming systems. Combined with the Component switching of my receiver (I got the HTB-544), it makes for a very convienient way of connecting all of my components without having to settle for the composite connections on my set.

Bogie
Thankyou "Dark" & "Kevin" for the info. I still can't decide whether to buy the HTB 504,544, or 505. I believe the 544 is the only one of these that has component inputs. Why the heck didn't Kenwood put that feature in the "upgraded" 505??? Anyone get to compare the speaker quality between the 504 set and the 505 personally?

JEFF
I finally hook up the Kenwood HTB-505. The Dolby Digital delivers great surround sound, Dolby Pro II just ok for stereo source. The key to get the best audio performance is to locate the 5 speakers at right place and setup the distance number with the receiver (VR-606). You must have digital input (optical/coaxial/dvd-6ch) to get Dolby Digital/DTS signal, otherwise only DSP can be allowed.

The Main Speakers are very good in H/M/L rang; the center speaker need to be improved in M frequency;

The receiver has great features and sound (especially the bass) but less input to choose.

I don't have HTB 504 for comparison, but I am very enjoyable with this all in one system ($435 from MJShow.com).

Anonymous
S-video switching allows you to hook up 2 S-video sources in and use a single S-video out to your TV, so you can synch audio and video sources within the receiver.

Composite video switching does the same for composite video.

Component video switching does the same for component video. Only the 544 has it. However, I've seen several posts saying that the 544 doesn't do well at this. So ppl end up connecting progressive scan DVD players directly to their TVs.

Switching does NOT mean conversion. Receivers that switch won't convert composite in to component out, for example. So your S-video inputs go to the S-video output, component video inputs go to your component video out etc.

Randy
question on digital dolby.

I just got the htb-505 yesterday, got it all hooked up, got the digital coax audio cable for my digital cable box. The receiver recognizes the digital dolby and selects it, but it only uses the 2 front speakers, not the sub and the surrounds. If I go to FM sterero, and have prologic 2 selected, all the speakers work. Same if I use the test speakers with the test sounds. Ideas?

Tx!

Anonymous
About the htb 544 not component switching well, its wasn't designed for the progressive scan component signal, only the interlaced kind. The bandwidth isn't enough so progressive scan would be warped

Pete
Randy, Hit the listening mode button till you get to dolby digital. I had the same problem. Dolby digital uses all the speakers.

Anonymous
I got the HTB-504 yesterday at the outlet in Dallas and it sounds great! Sold for $380 after talking them down due to the 505's being out. No problems at all using the optical cable (not included). Remote picked up the TV and DVD player. The only beef I have are the main speakers. The wood is not the best and they don't come with any mounts. I'm going to have to buy some shelves or something... But overall, rocks!

Anonymous
It looks as though Kenwood has been out-matched in the HTB arena by Denon and Onkyo.

I need help to find a manual for a kenwood VR509 if you can help me pleas send me copy. I need help? thank you your frined joseph

Anonymous
Anyone have a Kenwood DVT-505 system? just want to know what the general feeling with people that have it. what do you think?

Does anyone have the specifications of the speaker that goes in the SW-36HT Kenwood subwoofer?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us