Using a optical to coaxial converter for surround sound

Username: Marionr26

Charleston,sc

Post Number: 1
Due to needing to hook up sat to reciever and a dvd recorder to a reciever and only having one coaxial input on the reciever and none on the other two units Im having to use a optical to coaxial converter (here is a pic). A guy told me when using this I didnt have to use the wire that says coaxial cable on the package I could use the regular white/red/yellow audio video cables that come with a dvd player when you buy Is this true??? Or do I need to get the ones say coaxial cables for digital sound. He said since coaxial input is just one plug use the same color on each end let the other two just be un used....Im not getting digital sound can you help me??? Upload

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1624
­
Rod, what you have pictured is the opposite of what you need. You need a converter that says OPTICAL IN and COAX OUT like this one:

Upload

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat%5Fid=3106&sku=40019&cm_mmc_o=-pcByplCjCiIC-18-Qm%20RWCjCB5fbgzk%20fB%20gBz0CjCB5fbgzk%20fB%20gBz0&gclid=CNzHndKF1IwCFRUHWAodgV_gtg

Cheap RCA patch cords will carry digital audio for short distances, but to insure proper electro-magnetic noise free transmission you really should use RCA tipped RG59 or even better RG6 coax cable.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023601&p_id=2743&seq=1&format=2&style=
­

Charleston,sc

Post Number: 2
ohhh ok yea Im running the reciever to the Sat. so I need opt in and coaxial out right?? So thats why no matter what wires I use I cant get digital sound just the pro logic. I have a set of composite cables to can I use those like take the red one of the three cables will this send a digital sound for me????

Thanks for the help.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1628
­
"I have a set of composite cables to can I use those like take the red one of the three cables will this send a digital sound for me????"

See my answer above.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1629
­
Let me add that it will not hurt to try your cable, and if it works to your satisfaction then don't fix what ain't broke.

Charleston,sc

Post Number: 3
thanks John well first thing first I got to get the correct converter here online then go from there.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us